Are current gen Tytera Portables still frowned upon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDogg795

I recall a little while back there were many who felt the MD-380 portables weren't particularly great for repeated systems because of poor signal isolation (from how I interpreted the complaints). Apparently the issue still remains on the 390 as well....I want to get back into DMR but I just don't know if I can justify $700+ on an XPR7550 or even $400 for an XPR6550 at this point though.

What's the communities feelings in the late model Chinese radios? Are there any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N4KVE

Your prices are way over inflated. Around here practically new 7550's are $500, while mint 6550's are $200. Today, I just sold a mint 1 year old XPR4550 for $300. So to be blunt, if you own a Motorola, or Hytera radio, & someone buys a TYT product, it is considered to be a piece of crap. But if you own a TYT radio, & someone else buys a MD 380/390 [same radio electronically], it's considered a great radio. That's just the way it is.

Last edited:

BigDogg795

Your prices are way over inflated. Around here practically new 7550's are $500, while mint 6550's are $200. Today, I just sold a mint 1 year old XPR4550 for $300. So to be blunt, if you own a Motorola, or Hytera radio, & someone buys a TYT product, it is considered to be a piece of crap. But if you own a TYT radio, & someone else buys a MD 380/390 [same radio electronically], it's considered a great radio. That's just the way it is.

Maybe it's just my poor luck in not finding something decent then. [emoji853]

I'll probably keep looking then and hopefully I'll find something decent soon.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
MD380

The CS750 is a good choice also, selling for about $240. It has a huge contact list and channel capacity. I just picked up a MD380, and so far it compares favorably with my Hytera (not Tytera),PD782 and CS750. Both the CS750 and Hytera have FPP, as does the Tytera.

WQPW689

Picked up an MD-390 and have had zero problems with it after having snagged up a codeplug online. Any contact I've made has been reported back as loud and clear.

That said, any radio reception of any kind depends on your particular circumstances. I view the 390 as a great buy for the price for where I am and the repeaters I can hit. You might want to research local examples before you buy.

Edit: Just had an interesting encounter. Tried an external microphone I had laying around and was told reception was very bad, mostly muffled and distorted. Happened to be the repeater owner, who advised me to dump the external mike and said reception was fine after I did so.

Last edited:

RayAir

Beware of cheap RSM's.

I have used a Channel One medium duty RSM with my md-380 and it worked great. Can't quite recall the price but it was less than $30.

I had another cheap RSM that was fine for analog, but if used on a DMR radio,when you transmitted it sounded horrible and you could hear the TDMA "helicopter" sound OTA.

Today I'm using the PD782, XPR7550, and SL7550.

djs13pa

The big issue with the Tytera and some other non-CS portables was bleed over into other timeslots. I've not seen or heard much about that lately. That being said, the guy who answered your post might be a vendor based on his wording. Ping him and see what he can offer you.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you look up the TYT timeslot bleedover issue, it all traces back to one alleged incident and one guy who passionately hates CCRs undertaking a campaign to make sure the entire internet knew about it. It may or may not have happened, and is not a common issue in any case.

As to speaker mics, if they don't have good RF shielding, they can introduce a "motorboat" noise into your TX audio when using TDMA. I've had good luck with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z4X3MM6/

I have 3 MD-390s with these mics and no issues with any of them.

D

DaveNF2G

Official "frowning upon" or opinionated "frowning upon"?

Officially, as long as any transceiver meets the technical requirements for the amateur service and for the particular use to which it is being put, then there is no "frowning upon."

Unofficially, there is a contingent of Motosnobs who "frown upon" any noncommercial ham equipment, especially on certain DMR networks.

N4KVE

Edit: Just had an interesting encounter. Tried an external microphone I had laying around and was told reception was very bad, mostly muffled and distorted. Happened to be the repeater owner, who advised me to dump the external mike and said reception was fine after I did so.
I listened to that conversation. You did sound very bad with the speaker mike. When you disconnected the mike, & spoke into the radio, you did sound much better. Some cheap speaker mikes do not even use shielded cable. People have had excellent results with the Kenwood mike. As for the time slot bleed over issue, it was Ryan, W4NTR who had the offending radio. He was transmitting on TS2, & bleeding into TS1. He returned the radio to the seller, who is Maximus the Great here on RR. 2 radio techs who deal with Motorola radios heard the interference, as well as myself. It has happened to others all oner the country. Some sound OK, while others not so good.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You're the guy I was talking about.

I've got 3 TYT radios, and none of them have the problem.

K4APR

If you look up the TYT timeslot bleedover issue, it all traces back to one alleged incident and one guy who passionately hates CCRs undertaking a campaign to make sure the entire internet knew about it. It may or may not have happened, and is not a common issue in any case.

As to speaker mics, if they don't have good RF shielding, they can introduce a "motorboat" noise into your TX audio when using TDMA. I've had good luck with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z4X3MM6/

I have 3 MD-390s with these mics and no issues with any of them.

Thank you for pointing this out! All of this "bleedover" talk stems back to one incident and it's not even proven or valid from what I can tell. Typical amateur community. Worse than hens clucking in the hen house. One little incident and its completely blown out of proportion.

We have three 380's in our house and they all work just fine, never had an issue. Another twenty are floating around in our local club and none of them have issues. Spend the $110 on a 380, get hooked (you will), save your pennies and get a Motorola down the road. I have both and I use both regularly.

Connect Systems are also a great option. We have two CS800 mobiles and they have been great.

I listened to that conversation. You did sound very bad with the speaker mike. When you disconnected the mike, & spoke into the radio, you did sound much better. Some cheap speaker mikes do not even use shielded cable. People have had excellent results with the Kenwood mike. As for the time slot bleed over issue, it was Ryan, W4NTR who had the offending radio. He was transmitting on TS2, & bleeding into TS1. He returned the radio to the seller, who is Maximus the Great here on RR. 2 radio techs who deal with Motorola radios heard the interference, as well as myself. It has happened to others all oner the country. Some sound OK, while others not so good.
N4KVE aka "Moonboots"...

For the record, I am not a seller of any type of radios. What I sold this gentleman was a spare brand new radio to him.

You have been attacking the MD 380s on EVERY hamster social media that exists on this supposed bleed over. There have been thousands of these units sold. Thousands are being used and you and "supposedly" your 2 "buddies", (I use the term buddies loosely, as your negativity is through the roof. I don't see you having any friends. But that's besides the topic) experienced this issue on 1 QSO. Yet the reports of this alleged issue has not surfaced anywhere else. That ham that you keep bringing up his name, over and over again (maybe you're in love with the guy) he's a stand up guy. He's done more for this hobby then you will ever do. Just Google his call and you'll see what he has done. For you to attempt to muddy someone's name is pretty low of you.

The moment you claimed such bleed over, he stopped operating immediately and returned the radio to me. I in return sent it back to Amazon. Amazon sent me a replacement radio. Problem solved!

Back on topic....

The MD 380 is a great little radio. It does everything that we ask for an "entry level budget receiver". I have been using 2 of them with various firmwares and the experimental versions without a problem. The only issue which is not related to the radio is the speaker mic ( not spelled "Mike" like others). Like others have said you need to buy a shielded shoulder mic. I believe there is one on Amazon for $22. Don't recall the brand off the top of my head.

N4KVE

I'm sure Ryan, W4NTR is a great guy, & it's certainly not his fault he ended up with a MD380 that DID jump time slots. The other 2 people who DID hear this happen are Conrad, who right now is installing a DMR trunking radio system on a cruise ship in the waters off South America, & John, a part owner of the DMR system where the interference happened. John looks after a state wide radio system. Both are professionals who have been in the radio business for years. Not people who just got their tickets, & bought their 1st radio. The MD380.
The only reason I am forced to mention Ryan's name is because people like jonweinke, & KE4NYV accuse me of making up the incident with phrases like "one incident not even proven, or valid", or "alleged incident that may or may not have happened". Since Ryan returned the radio to you, & you returned it to Amazon, I can only assume it was truly defective, otherwise you would have kept it, right? John has become so upset that his repeater system has morphed into the cesspool it has become that he sold his interest to Rick, the other owner of the system. To quote John, The availability of these $100 radios brought numerous "lids" to his system. If the repeaters were Motorola, he would have turned on RAS, which would only allow Motorola radios access to the system, but they are Hytera repeaters, which do not have the RAS feature. Again, I'm sure Ryan is a great guy, & the last I heard he was buying a XPR7550. But that was months ago, & I haven't heard from him in a long time. By the way, clean good quality Motorola DMR radios can be found for $100, & up. Now a days you can find Conrad, John, & myself on P25 UHF, & 900 repeaters in Dade, Broward, & Palm Beach County.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
None of that changes the fact that all of the online accounts of TYT DMR radios spamming the opposite repeater timeslot trace back to this one radio and one incident. And most of those online accounts were posted by you. It's pretty clear you have an agenda--bashing CCRs and pushing Motorola.

None of that changes the fact that all of the online accounts of TYT DMR radios spamming the opposite repeater timeslot trace back to this one radio and one incident. And most of those online accounts were posted by you. It's pretty clear you have an agenda--bashing CCRs and pushing Motorola.
I think if we stop feeding the troll, in this case Moonboots (decided to change his name to his call sign now for an unknown reason). Maybe he'll go AWAY. Maybe he'll get over the isolated incident.

An isolated issue that has been resolved from any repeaters that are in use.

Since Gary is part of the elite since he plays on P25, 800, 900 etc etc... Maybe he should stick with the elitist group. Although I must say that your apt and car do not reflect of what the elite people have. Either way, this is a hobby. This is not a lifestyle of mine. I'm not the hamster that believes that this hobby is the life line in an outage..

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I think if we stop feeding the troll...
The thing I don't quite understand is someone who would report a post in this thread claiming that the reported post was an attempt to troll him and then go ahead with publicly responding to the alleged troll post.

This forum is not the place for users to fight their own particular battles with other users. If a user feels that someone is being a troll, simply don't respond. Don't take the bait (whether that bait really exists or not).

The OP has gotten several answers to his question that he can consider. We're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.