Hytera Enters the North American Amateur Radio Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
http://gigaparts.com/press

http://www.gigaparts.com/hytera/

Huntsville, Alabama, November 22, 2016 -- GigaParts announced today the release of five new models of amateur radios manufactured by Hytera. Highly regarded in land mobile radio for their quality, durability and innovation, Hytera dominates the DMR and Tetra markets in the US and the rest of the world. Hytera is the largest radio manufacturer to enter the amateur radio market in North America.

With nearly 1,000 amateur repeaters already on the air in North America, DMR infrastructure is well established and is on pace to surpass D-STAR and System Fusion in 2017. DMR’s growing popularity in amateur radio is due, in part, to its technical capabilities, solid reliability and compatibility across several brands. One advantage of DMR over other the other digital modes is its spectrum efficiency. By using two “time slots,” DMR allows two voice transmissions to happen simultaneously on the same 12.5 kHz channel. DMR is also known for its superior audio quality and ability to maintain voice communication at the fringe of a repeater’s coverage area.

For years, groups of dedicated hams have built up at least three networks of DMR repeaters primarily using decommissioned commercial repeaters and a lot of ingenuity and expertise. With no formal manufacturer or dealer support in the United States, DMR+, BrandMeister, and DMR-MARC are already serving tens of thousands of users. The entrance of Hytera and GigaParts into the amateur DMR community will bring resources to help buildout additional infrastructure and explore new features to support the unique needs of amateur radio operators.

To make this technology affordable for amateur radio operators, Hytera ham radios will be built on the same rugged and reliable platforms developed for commercial and public safety applications, with the removal of unnecessary features, like encryption, for additional savings. Prices for handheld radios will start at under $200. All five of these new radios will transmit from 420MHz to 450MHz on either analog or digital, are built to the same quality and durability standards as their LMR counterparts, and carry a 3 year warranty.

Over the next few months, GigaParts will be soliciting feedback from hams that will be used to determine the direction of future product development and resources devoted to putting more DMR repeaters on the air.

Visit www.gigaparts.com/DMR and click on the survey link to give us your opinion.
# # #

About Hytera
Hytera Communications Corporation Limited (SHE:002583), a leading solution provider of radio communications equipment, is dedicated to bringing customized solutions to clients around the world. Hytera has established a global sales network with 30 branches and 600+ partners across around the world, and reinvests more than 14% of its revenue into research and development with over 1,200 engineers in 5 research centers.

About GigaParts
GigaParts, Inc. is the largest independent amateur radio dealer in the United States. Established in 1998, GigaParts represents every major amateur radio manufacturer and is committed to continuing to bring new products to amateur operators in the U.S.

KD8DVR

The original Hytera HYT brand was given low reviews as cheap junk. They discovered DMR and multiplied their prices fivefold.

DO a search years back for HYT brand radios and you'll see what I mean.

They managed to create a brand name for themselves because commercial entities will pay for their inflated prices because they are cheaper than Motorola.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

KD8DVR

Additionally....not saying Hytera is junk nowadays. Just a history lesson.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

KD8DVR

Cheaper than buying a used XPR7550... Less hassle to get software too

Its expensive if you are comparing it to a CS750 or the POS Tytera or Baofengs.
Typically, Hytera charges to purchase their software. Even older, lower quality models require a purchase to download now.

Golay

Not really ham

Typically, Hytera charges to purchase their software. Even older, lower quality models require a purchase to download now.

Yeah, I opened up the details for a couple of the models on the linked website.
None of these radios appear to have front panel programming. Based upon that assumption, I'm going to say these radios should not be called "geared to the amateur radio market". In my opinion, lacking FPP, these are just less expensive commercial radios that can also get on the ham bands.
The original post said we can get on Gigaparts website and voice an opinion, and I intended to do that. But the survey that it links to is just multiple choice questions, with no comment field.

Last edited:

prcguy

I agree they look expensive for what you get and if they are software only for programming, that will kill the amateur appeal. And what's wrong with a TYT MD-380 for around $100? I find they work very well and the Hytera's may not work any better.
prcguy

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Q. What’s the difference between the amateur Hytera radios their land mobile counterparts?

A. The biggest difference is the amateur model is less expensive. During our initial market test, there is no difference between the two radios but future revisions are expected to include the removal of features such as encryption and man-down, restriction to amateur frequencies, and additional features and interface improvements based on feedback from the amateur community.

So basically they are selling a firmware-crippled version of their commercial radio, and plan on removing features that the TYT MD-series radios have.

Meh.

N4KVE

I had a long chat with a friend who works for Hytera. He told me it's worth it to spend the extra $ & get the commercial version. I own a PD782, & rate it as good as my Moto XPR7550, except the 782 also has FPP. As for quality in the past, Toyota, Nissan, & Honda used to build junk too. Look at them today. The 420-450 freq coverage will be locked.
Just because Hytera, & Tytera are both made in China, do not assume the quality is the same. Hytera makes quality radios used by governments around the world. Tytera sells junk radios to cheap hams who only consider $ with no consideration to quality. Our Florida DMR system uses 8 Hytera repeaters to link the state of Florida. The owner of this system sold his Motorola repeaters & chose to buy the Hytera repeaters.

N4KVE

As of today, Hytera USA has no inventory of these ham radios. What GigaParts is selling are commercial radios at the ham radio prices to test the waters.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Hytera

My first DMR radio purchase several years ago was a Hytera PD782 VHF, and it is far from junk. I also have the UHF PD782 and the PD362. They are pricey, but the quality is as good as any Icom, Kenwood or other commercial radio I have owned. The big plus is the availability of the software and firmware. Sometimes a dealer will give it to you with a purchase. Even if you have to buy it, the cost is far from Motorola prices and you don't have to jump through hoops to get it.

N4KVE

My first DMR radio purchase several years ago was a Hytera PD782 VHF, and it is far from junk. I also have the UHF PD782 and the PD362. They are pricey, but the quality is as good as any Icom, Kenwood or other commercial radio I have owned. The big plus is the availability of the software and firmware. Sometimes a dealer will give it to you with a purchase. Even if you have to buy it, the cost is far from Motorola prices and you don't have to jump through hoops to get it.
Also the radios are programmable from the keypad. Louder RX audio than a similar Moto radio. The 782 in an ultra rugged radio.

Otto

Those prices don't make me think "ham radio"...

And let's be honest, ham radio "nerds" are cheapskates. I don't see a mass appeal to ham radio operators in light that one can get the same features in another radio for hundreds of less $$$.

N4KVE

For hundreds less, you get junk, like MD380's. When you buy Hytera, you get Motorola quality, & features. A CS750 is somewhere in between.

Otto

For hundreds less, you get junk, like MD380's. When you buy Hytera, you get Motorola quality, & features. A CS750 is somewhere in between.

I'm aware of that. But for most of us hams, we really only need hobby grade radios. And really only want to spend hobby $$ rates. Would I love to have the latest APX 7000 (or whatever)?? Sure, but I think it's overkill to use it chit chatting with hams about what the missus made for supper.

Status
Not open for further replies.