CS750 programming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0kp

I am using a sample code plug in my 750 and it is organised with DMR and analog systems in different zones. Did they do that just for organisation or is there a technical reason? I know in a lot of professional equipment cannot have dissimilar systems in a zone.
Thanks in advance.
Craig

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
You can lay out the channels and zones however you want.

In the CS750 programing software, you have one section where you first define or create the channels (frequency, offset, FM, CTCSS, digital, color code and all that stuff) Once done you assign those channels you created to zones.

A zone is just a group of up to 16 channels. You can put whatever you want in a zone. In the section where the zones are programed you get two columns. One has all the channels that have been defined and the other is a list of the zone members.

The zone member list is blank at first.. You add to the zone member list by moving up to 16 of the channels you defined over from the available channel list. They can be digital or analog.

You select the zone via the front panel menu. You select the channels in the zone using the 16 position dial on top of the radio.

What you add to each zone is up to you. One of our local DMR repeaters only has 3 slots that are commonly used.... So, I added a couple of popular FM repeaters to that Zone. That way I can use the top dial to switch between Digital and FM without having to go into the menu to change zones.

Out of interest, I also have a Motorola XPR6550. It's programed a little differently with the CPS software, but you can have FM and Digital in the same zone.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Zones

It is more a choice of convenience than anything else. It can also be less confusing for new users, especially if you use the one zone one dmr system approach.

bharvey2

You can have analog and digital channels in the same zone without any trouble. My "Home" zone has a mix of both and containers the analog repeaters and DMR talk groups that I use most often. I still maintain zones that are dedicated specifically for analog and DMR repeaters and some of those are duplicates. Those are okay too.

kc0kp

Thanks, that is what I was hoping for. I think I will blow out this code plug and do it the way I do the radios in the city comm truck. They are laid out geographically except for zone 1 that is strictly by heaviest use.

bharvey2

Thanks, that is what I was hoping for. I think I will blow out this code plug and do it the way I do the radios in the city comm truck. They are laid out geographically except for zone 1 that is strictly by heaviest use.

That's about how I do it. I've got a Home Zone and my other zones fan out geographically (or as close as I can get) from home. As I travel I just switch up or down a zone or two. It doesn't work perfectly in all instances but that's just something that I have to live with.

Status
Not open for further replies.