Connect Systems CS-580 DMR handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I just came across a review for this radio.. I guess I missed the announcement because the review was posted last month... (I searched RadioReference and wasn't able to find anything on it.. But I've been wrong before :)

It seems impressive for a cheapie handheld. It has some cool scanning functions.

Link to Connect Systems site: Connect Systems

A review from the link below:

https://hamgear.wordpress.com/2016/...24/review-connect-systems-cs-580-dmr-tier-ii/

– Enhanced Monitor – Simply put, I enter the repeater's frequency and the radio monitors everything that comes across, regardless of Time Slot. If I hear a station I like, I press the Lock button, and I’m ready to transmit. The DMR ID, CC, Slot, Type, Contact #, Tx and Rx frequencies are displayed on the LCD.

– Group Receive – This function allows you to load up to 16 contacts into a single receive group. If any one of those channels becomes active, that’s what comes through the receiver. When transmitting, the pre-assigned transmit contact for that channel is the one selected.

– Enhanced Scanning – This allows you to select a scanning range between 400-480MHz, repeater offset, and channel spacing. When a repeater signal is detected, the scanning stops, and there is an option to Lock onto the frequency. When keying the transmitter, the offset will automatically shift the frequency to the desired shift.

– Standard Scanning – This is when you add channels to a scan group. If you are listening to a TG or channel that is part of the group and select Scan, the radio will now scan all other TG or channels within that group.

– Enhanced Parameters – This is field programming made easy. It allowed me to program everything via the keypad. In the DMR mode, I entered the CC, Slot, Type, Contact #, Tx Freq, and Rx Freq. A quick press of the Lock key, and I was on the air.
In the FM mode, I entered the CTCSS Decode and Encode, Tx and Rx Freq. Once again, press the Lock key and it was on t

macgybl

I was seriously considering getting a MD380....but now, this looks pretty attractive!

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Oooh, looks interesting for that price. I like the idea of being able to look up a repeater online and punch it in the front.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
hmm, from the manual:
"Firmware Bug
The first released version of the radio is 1.0.5. This version has one
known problem at this time (12/2/16) in that the Enhanced Parameter
Mode does not work if you are using Group Calling. It does work if
using private calling. Check our website at Connect Systems
for updated firmware."

edit: Nevermind, from the website:
"This version fixes the last known bug in the firmware. In version 1.0.5 in the enhanced parameter mode, only the private calling worked. This version fixes that problem and now both private and group calling works."

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
CS580

I have been using one for the last four days. There is a new firmware version that fixes the bug. The scanning works very well, but I would like to see it also have FPP for more flexibility. Sound quality is very good, especially for a small size radio. The free programming software is a little different from my other radios (Hytera PD782, 362, Tytera MD 380, and CS750) but works well. All in all, it is a winner at this point. Hamradio2.com has an early presentation on Youtube.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
It is limited in contact storage, but for the price, it is very good. I use it along side my CS750, which has memory for 65280 contacts and 2000 channels. The two radios together are less than most Motorola units. The scanning feature is much easier to use than the MD380, which I also have.

Last edited:

jcherepy

Premium Subscriber
As someone else posted, the MD380 stores 1,000 contacts, but if you flash the 3rd party firmware (as I have), it stores the entire DMARC database.

Bill WB4WTN

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I bought one (CS-580) for a combination of amateur use and business DMR listening. I'm just starting to play with it, but the front panel frequency entry + monitor mode definitely works. I just typed in a local business DMR user's frequency, put in monitor mode and started listening. I need to boot the laptop back up and program a button for the back lighting control (the manual says you can)...currently the screen blanks after only a few seconds.
I haven't tried TX on the ham side yet, but I will. I have a CS-700 to test against.

N1GJB

On a related note, was also thinking about the CS-580 if/when a VHF version becomes available, but the extreme lack of contacts is concerning. I have a MD380 for UHF that I think is just alright but I haven't updated the firmware to the 3rd party version. Thoughts?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I see a lot of references by people to lack or limited contacts in some radios. That's only an issue if you want to load a list of IDs to call signs/names, right?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I see a lot of references by people to lack or limited contacts in some radios. That's only an issue if you want to load a list of IDs to call signs/names, right?
Not necessarily! For example, I have the entire Hoosier DMR Network (Indiana, 32 repeaters active?), Crossroads DMR (8 repeaters), N9AII (9 repeaters), eastern Illinois, southern Wisconsin and southern Michigan, and northern Kentucky programmed. These repeaters & TGs take up 153 contact slots just by themselves. :)

scanningfan

I bought one (CS-580) for a combination of amateur use and business DMR listening. I'm just starting to play with it, but the front panel frequency entry + monitor mode definitely works. I just typed in a local business DMR user's frequency, put in monitor mode and started listening. I need to boot the laptop back up and program a button for the back lighting control (the manual says you can)...currently the screen blanks after only a few seconds.
I haven't tried TX on the ham side yet, but I will. I have a CS-700 to test against.

Can you please explain how you did this ? I've just got one and am totally confused ! I see no way to simply enter a frequency for DMR that's for sure

dazey77

To scanningfan, this is technically possible but with caveats:
to do it you must have 'enhanced parameters' and 'enhanced monitor' assigned to one of the four functions possible through the two side keys (You really also have to assign enhanced scan to one of the four as all of the enhanced features are not available any other way that I can see.

next, you have to be on a channel of relevant type (analogue or digital).

Enter enhanced parameter mode, put in the frequency and hit lock (note this holds the freq but you can't save)

Now enter enhanced monitor mode. If you want to change channel then you have to start back at the beginning to return to this channel due to lack of save function.

hb9pjt

A very good TRX. Best TX and RX audio, very good function with enhanced monitor and VFO scanner and well built. 250 contacts are more than enough for me. CPS should have copy function.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

N1GMV

I have this radio, I really like it but cannot load 380 tools and see everyones name and qth etc. Also very difficult to read display when outside in full sun. The dial-a-node is awesome. When in a pinch can scan and lock onto any qso or punch in any dmr or fm repeater.

Status
Not open for further replies.