Baofeng DMR receive question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Is there anyone who has successfully used a Baofeng DM-5R Plus to receive DMR repeaters?

Yes, I know transmitting on this model will tie-up both timeslots. I am only trying to receive.

I program the radio with the software app, designating the CC, TS and Group. But when the repeater transmits all I get a GREEN receive indication light. No audio. Radio works great in analog.

Thank you in advance.

teufler

I have multiple Dm-5r+s, so I set up some channels to verify with. If the cc, ts, tg, are set right, you get audio, then if one goes to encryption, the other still lights up but no receive. This may be the problem. Most DNR radios have encryption built in, not an option like most p25 systems, so if the police have it available, they will use it. I find the radios very handy for use at hamfests when you are bombared with RF in analog. Also work good in groups where you are not using the analog repeater. They work good if you are transmitting "some sensitive" info, that maybe you don;t want the analog group to hear You can setup side A and analog and side B a digital. The radios got a bad rap at first because of Baofengs advertising, most thought they would be good on slot 2. Its unique that it is dual band, analog and digital. Software is free, though I have never found instructions on the software.Programming cable the same as all other Wouxuns, Baofengs, etc. If the area you are in, has no DMR repeaters, they still are very handy.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
I have multiple Dm-5r+s, so I set up some channels to verify with. If the cc, ts, tg, are set right, you get audio, then if one goes to encryption, the other still lights up but no receive. This may be the problem. Most DNR radios have encryption built in, not an option like most p25 systems, so if the police have it available, they will use it. I find the radios very handy for use at hamfests when you are bombared with RF in analog. Also work good in groups where you are not using the analog repeater. They work good if you are transmitting "some sensitive" info, that maybe you don;t want the analog group to hear You can setup side A and analog and side B a digital. The radios got a bad rap at first because of Baofengs advertising, most thought they would be good on slot 2. Its unique that it is dual band, analog and digital. Software is free, though I have never found instructions on the software.Programming cable the same as all other Wouxuns, Baofengs, etc. If the area you are in, has no DMR repeaters, they still are very handy.

Thanks. From what I am seeing, other folks in my area are receiving them in the clear. Although I worked for decades in two-way, and have designed dozens of new P-25 trunked systems, the odd terms and total lack of documentation on most anything DMR, especially the Baofeng products is frustrating at best.

Yeah, the little radio is neat. A wonder of technology compared to some of the ham gear I started with back in the early 80's. I hope I can get the DMR side usable to allow me to monitor that local City.

But, if not, it is still an impressive and tiny dual-band radio I can carry with me when I go kayaking, and put into a dry box.

If it gets soaked/destroyed, I won't cry too bad for a <$100 radio, versus the loss of a >$3k Harris P7170 portable from Harris which is my normal EDC radio.

teufler

I did figure out how to send text messages with the DM-5r. The manual doiesn't say but you dial to the digital frequency you want to send on. I assume you have used the software to load the 16 text messages. Now then press MENU then 30, then decide inbox out outbox. Guess you will send to select oiut, then you see you messages. Use the arrow keys to scroll to the messages you want, MENU key, then you get the contacts you have stored, so select the contact you want. Thats basically how youi send. It would be good for a ham call out event, where you could quickly respond to traffic or advising you are moving to your next assignment, similar to the use of aprs.

Status
Not open for further replies.