The RadioReference.com Forums

The RadioReference.com Forums (https://forums.radioreference.com/)
-   Digital Voice for Amateur Use (https://forums.radioreference.com/digital-voice-amateur-use/)
-   -   Dv4 mini (https://forums.radioreference.com/digital-voice-amateur-use/351813-dv4-mini.html)

kc2wtj 04-16-2017 11:22 AM

Dv4 mini

Looking to get one what do I need? Can I use a windows tablet to access it?

n9mxq 04-16-2017 1:22 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "access it". It's meant to be plugged into a computer to provide a hot spot to the local area. You'd use your digital HT to talk to the rest of the world via the internet.

n9mxq 04-16-2017 1:25 PM

Having just done a little research, the DV4 mini with AMBE chip and latest firmware allows you to access the networks via the computer speaker/microphone.. So I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use a tablet.

W9BU 04-16-2017 1:36 PM

Any software that needs to run on the computer would be the issue. Some "Windows tablets" don't run a full version of Windows and can only run specific Windows tablet apps. For example, the early Microsoft Surface tablets could only run Windows tablet apps. But, the Microsoft Surface Pro tablets have a full version of Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 and can run anything that a Windows laptop or desktop can run.

Also, the USB port might be an issue. Some Windows tablets only use the USB port for battery charging and maybe file transfer to another computer. Other Windows tablets have full-service USB ports that can interface with other devices provided the proper device driver is loaded. I can use a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 tablet to connect to my Kenwood TH-D72 handheld radio and run APRS or packet programs that access the radio's internal TNC through the USB port.

kc2wtj 04-16-2017 4:59 PM

So I pretty much better to use my laptop.....

K5MPH 04-17-2017 9:57 AM

You can run the Dv4mini on a windows tablet I do using windows 8.1 and it work great very portable...

K5MPH 04-17-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9BU (Post 2751485)
Any software that needs to run on the computer would be the issue. Some "Windows tablets" don't run a full version of Windows and can only run specific Windows tablet apps. For example, the early Microsoft Surface tablets could only run Windows tablet apps. But, the Microsoft Surface Pro tablets have a full version of Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 and can run anything that a Windows laptop or desktop can run.

Also, the USB port might be an issue. Some Windows tablets only use the USB port for battery charging and maybe file transfer to another computer. Other Windows tablets have full-service USB ports that can interface with other devices provided the proper device driver is loaded. I can use a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 tablet to connect to my Kenwood TH-D72 handheld radio and run APRS or packet programs that access the radio's internal TNC through the USB port.

What software are you using for your APRS using the TH-D72.....

kc2wtj 04-17-2017 10:56 AM

Does it have a full version of Windows or I can get any windows tablet?

K5MPH 04-18-2017 6:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc2wtj (Post 2751441)
Looking to get one what do I need? Can I use a windows tablet to access it?

Sent PM......