Pesky CSI CS800

Status
Not open for further replies.

wqtz773

Problem:

Radio ran for a while and then went into transmit lock mode. Turned it off and now all I get is the back lights on the microphone and the display back light. Radio will not boot up. Lights only stay on for a fraction of a second.

Other than sending this to the local recycle bin, is there a solution for my present problem?
No, I have not opened it up to look inside or any other tyro "thing".

It has been back to CSI and they said it was all right with no problems.

OK. Email is wa8lgm at hughes dot net. ANY help would be appreciated. THanks.

John WA8LGM WQTZ773

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Try reloading firmware maybe?

Call Chris or Jerry at CSI. They are incredibly helpful and have always stood by their stuff 110%

Could there be an electrical problem causing issues? Maybe a bad cord on something. I had a radio with a supposedly "Compatible" cord but it caused me issues including locking open transmit for some reason whenever connected. Got rid of it, spent more for OEM cable and end of problem.

If Jerry says its fine then it sounds like something on your end is screwing the pooch so to speak.

w1haf

It sounds like a programming issue. First make sure you are using the latest firmware. If not follow the directions to get the firmware updates and use the provided boot loader software. Then make sure you are using the correct CPS that works with the version of firmware you are using. All this info is available on the Connect Systems software web page. Make sure you don't have VOX turned on. Then try loading a good code plug.

73 Harrison W1HAF

wqtz773

Unhappy with non-responsive CS-800 Xcvr.

Well. Now the radio will not boot up or, for that matter, do anything whatsoever. The indicator lights come up and then it goes back to power down condition. It will not boot up,
I have sent it to the guys at CSI and they tell me that it was working when I sent it to them.
Also, since the radio is out of warranty; they will not repair it until I send them a major amount of money for bench work.
The power supply voltage that I have measures out to 13.8VDC at the end of the power cord, so I know its not the power supply that I have here at the station.
If anyone has a solution let me know. I sure would appreciate it.
OK at wa8lgm@hughes.net tax vy es 73
Addenda:
Harrison: I believe that the radio has to be operating before I can load ANY software or firmware into it. This is not happening with this particular radio.

TomTN

Have you tested the cable that connects the head to the body? Swap it with a known good Ethernet cable and test radio again.

Also, test the inline fuse to the radio.

These radios are quite durable so it is likely something simple.

wqtz773

Yep. I have done both of those. Tried another ether net cable and that didn't help at all.
Taking any and all suggestions. It should be something simple and probably is just that, but I just can't wrap my head around it. I won't try to solder anything, because I don't have the correct tools for level 4 technical repair.
However, did talk to the guys at CSI and they WILL be at Dayton this year with new equipment!
So, come to the Dayton Hamvention this year and take a long look at all the really cool things that are going to be there not only with them but with a whole bunch of really great companies who will be in attendance this year. FYI: tickets at the door for the three day event will be US$22.00. Well worth it.

mikey60

Just out of curiosity, what is the setting under ignition sense in your codeplug? It's under the accessories section in CPS. If it's anything other than Disable Ignition Off that may be your culprit. To resolve that you may have to place a jumper on the DB25 connector on the back of the radio to provide the ignition signal for the radio to power on and stay on. The service manual is on the CSI web site to tell you which pin to activate.

Mike

kc9bxx

I have noticed with the CS800 that you have to hold the power button in for a few seconds before the radio will boot. if you are not holding the button long enough it will do exactly as you are describing.

You could have a bad power supply, or battery connection in your vehicle as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.