RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Digital Voice for Amateur Use

Digital Voice for Amateur Use - Discuss use of digital voice technologies on the amateur radio bands. This is to include technologies such as VoIP, P25, DMR/TRBO, NXDN, D-STAR, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2017, 2:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Summer - western NC mountains; Winter - central FL gulf coast
Default OpenSpot New User Questions

While at Hamvention, I picked up an SharkRF OpenSpot since I have difficulty accessing my closest DMR machines. The install went well, I added a new "OpenSpot" zone to my codeplug and I have been able to access certain wide-area talkgroups. So far, so good.

However, I am not at all clear on how to access only the LOCAL talkgroup on a distant repeater by use of a particular group or private call code (if this is even possible). For example... I would like to participate in a local net on my nearest DMR repeater, but I am not able to reliably access this repeater directly. Is there any way I can "dial-in" to the LOCAL talkgroup on this machine via the OpenSpot? If so, can someone explain the process? Thanks in advance.

John AC4JK
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2017, 9:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You can link into individual d-star repeaters with the openspot but I do not think it is possible with DMR repeaters.
Old 05-26-2017, 6:47 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

They would have to have a linked tgid on brandmeister in order to do this
John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Old 06-08-2017, 7:09 PM

In other words, with the SharkRF DMR side, you are ONLY to use the talk groups associated with Brandmeister. The local repeaters or the ones listed on the DMARC website are not be able to be followed. The only exception to this, IF, keyword IF the repeater owner has the DMARC repeater he owns linked to a specific Talk Group on the Brandmeister Network.

And of course, you will also be able to use all of the reflectors from Fusion. That part, I haven't tinkered with. Im usually on Brandmeister N. America and TAC 310. There's plenty of people on those Talk Groups alone.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Summer - western NC mountains; Winter - central FL gulf coast

OK - I think it get it. No access to the local talkgroups on my area DMR repeaters.

Unfortunately, my primary interest is in using the local talkgroups, not the wide-area ones like N.America or WWide - so it looks like I need to get a mobile DMR rig and connect it to an attic antenna. Hopefully, that will do the trick.

Thanks much for the information. DMR is a strange new world!

John AC4JK
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2017, 1:22 PM

Don't be discouraged on the SharkRF. There popularity isn't main stream YET. But once they do become common knowledge as in the Baofengs, ( I think EVERY HAM has at least 1 of those). I see DMR repeater owners having linked talk groups for local usage.

SharkRF has only been in the market for a few months and they have become extremely popular. I give them 1 more year and they will be as common as a Baofeng. The only difference is the SharkRF is made with quality parts and I believe put together by hand. Plus they are not Chinese.