RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Digital Voice for Amateur Use

Digital Voice for Amateur Use - Discuss use of digital voice technologies on the amateur radio bands. This is to include technologies such as VoIP, P25, DMR/TRBO, NXDN, D-STAR, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2017, 9:43 AM

Can anyone recommend a DMR Mobile radio for a car installation? I can't really tell if the TYT-9800 has DMR or if there is a similar radio I should be looking at? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Looking for something that can do 30-50w analog along with the DMR.
Planning to use with an OpenSpot as well. Thanks very much!
Sponsored links
Old 10-23-2017, 12:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The Tyt 9600 is DMR, but not the 9800. The 9600 radios have had several very mixed reviews and apparently there are some hardware issues to be worked out along with firmware. I had a 9600 briefly, but sent it back due to the popping/clicking noise it made after each received transmission. I suggest you look at the Connect Systems CS-800D which is dual band and DMR/analog. It is currently on sale for $250 and is pretty stable. It has a few things to work out, but not anywhere near the issues with the 9600 in my opinion. I just ordered one and have been pleased so far.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The sale for the 800D was for the weekend only, so the price is back to normal. At least with Connect Systems you get great US customer service.
Old 10-23-2017, 2:28 PM

If I remember correctly, the CS 800 was supposed to be released a longggggg time ago. But for some reason it never was..

Stick with the Tytera. You won't be disappointed. Then you can easily install MD 380 tools on it. Making it the device even better. Best feature on the tools is the caller ID feature and the promiscuous mode. Highly recommend the Tytera line.

There are some people more like 1 person that bashes the line. You'll see who he is eventually. He's on every social media outlet giving the same speech. Over and over. Pretty nauseating but hey he's retired and doesn't have anything better to do.
Old 10-23-2017, 4:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusTheGreat View Post
If I remember correctly, the CS 800 was supposed to be released a longggggg time ago. But for some reason it never was..

Stick with the Tytera. You won't be disappointed. Then you can easily install MD 380 tools on it. Making it the device even better. Best feature on the tools is the caller ID feature and the promiscuous mode. Highly recommend the Tytera line.

There are some people more like 1 person that bashes the line. You'll see who he is eventually. He's on every social media outlet giving the same speech. Over and over. Pretty nauseating but hey he's retired and doesn't have anything better to do.
The CS800 has been out over a year now, & the D version for a month or 2. When you buy a Connect System radio, you get factory service from California. Should you have a problem, or technical question, there are experienced employees who speak English to answer your questions, or help solve your problems. They also sell replacement parts, should you need them. They are the sole distributors of these radios. With TYT, anybody can buy a dozen radios, & sell them. They offer no repair services, or any customer service. While I recommend Motorola, or Hytera radios as they are the best, I would recommend a Connect Systems radio for those on a budget. The TYT mobile still has serious problems with a popping noise when the receiver drops. They supposedly have fixed the problem on newer radios, but those with the first version that makes the noise, TYT has stated they will NOT fix the radios. Also, the new TYT MD2017 has serious problems with the SMA connector on the radio breaking. They will send the customer a replacement SMA, but it's exactly the same as the original that breaks, & the customer must install it themselves. Do you really want that TYT? radio?
Old 10-23-2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. What are the MD 380 tools?

If these radios are in the $250 range, would I be comparing to a Yaesu FTM-100?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2017, 9:07 PM

These Chinese Cheap radios as some call them are not to be compared with name brands such as Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood etc. The top 3 radios are pricey but you are getting a solid radio with a real warranty and most importantly, a good track record.

I think you may be a little confused on the various types of Digital out there. No worries though, we all at one point were confused with all these different formats of digital communications.

Below is a brief breakdown from the most popular to least.. ...

DMR (Open Sourced to various equipment makers )

DStar (Proprietary to Icom equipment only)

C4FM (Proprietary to Yaesu only)

The Tytera, Motorola, Hytera, CA rigs are some of the brands that can ONLY be used on the DMR system or with a SharkRF device.

DStar can only be used with Yaesu rigs and not compatible with DMR or C4FM.

C4FM can only be used with Icom rigs and not with DMR and DStar.

C4FM rigs can be used with SharkRF to connect to the Brandmeister network. Usually the most the common radio is the MD 380.

There is a device called SharkRF by Open Spot that allows any DMR or C4FM radio to be used on those 2 systems only. An example of this is : DMR radio to C4FM network and vice versa. With this SharkRF that is connected to your home or mobile internet you are able to connect to any of the Brandmeister repeaters worldwide. So let's say you are in the middle of Alaska with no DMR repeaters available anywhere close. Assuming you have either internet on your phone or house you can use your dmr radio connected to SharkRF to talk to anyone worldwide.

I know this is confusing but in my opinion I have the following setup.

Tyt MD 380 with the hacked version of MD 380 tools. This will allow me to get onto the DMR repeaters available on DMR Marc repeaters worldwide. This network has the most user's.

With this radio, I also have the SharkRF connected when I am mobile and not within range of a Repeater. I easily dial up a zone and bam. I connected.

I am planning on getting the MD 2017 but am waiting for the price to drop and for them to fix the antenna sturdy issue that is affecting that radio.
Old 10-23-2017, 9:18 PM

If you have money or want to be part of the cool kids, get yourself a Motorola DMR radio that falls within the ham bands. Keep in mind you do need the software to program it. That software is readily available on the net.

If you want to join THE DMR and see if you like it. Get yourself an MD 380. Learn how to create a codeplug for it and then load the md380 tools. You'll unlock some great features. The main features I love are the caller ID and promiscuous mode. The caller ID is amazing in part as you can see everything about the other user when they key up. Ie name, call sign, location, frequency, time slot etc.. It's really cool.

I never got into the Motorola as I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars when I am happy with my MD 380 which does wayyyyy more. I will be splurging on am Apx once I find the software for it. But that's more to "show off my toys ". It's immature to do that but hey if I have the money, might as well.
Old 10-24-2017, 5:59 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
DStar (Proprietary to Icom equipment only)
Not true. The Kenwood TH-D74 handheld does D-STAR. The D-STAR standard is openly available. I don't believe that Kenwood is paying Icom any kind of license fee to use it.

Quote:
C4FM (Proprietary to Yaesu only)
The System Fusion specification for C4FM is published on Yaesu's web site. I'm not aware that Yaesu wants a license fee to use it.

Quote:
The Tytera, Motorola, Hytera, CA rigs are some of the brands that can ONLY be used on the DMR system or with a SharkRF device.
They all do analog, don't they? If so, saying that they can only be used on DMR would be false.

Quote:
DStar can only be used with Yaesu rigs...
Please identify which Yaesu radios can be used on D-STAR.

Quote:
C4FM can only be used with Icom rigs...
Please identify which Icom radios can be used on System Fusion C4FM.

Quote:
There is a device called SharkRF by Open Spot that allows any DMR or C4FM radio to be used on those 2 systems only.
The SharkRF can be used on D-STAR, also.

Quote:
I know this is confusing but in my opinion I have the following setup.
And you have made it all the more confusing by posting incorrect information.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Old 10-24-2017, 1:12 PM

Thank you for correcting me!
Old 10-24-2017, 1:31 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
Also, the new TYT MD2017 has serious problems with the SMA connector on the radio breaking. They will send the customer a replacement SMA, but it's exactly the same as the original that breaks, & the customer must install it themselves.
Actually the replacement is one from a new vendor that TYT has sourced, and is much more sturdy than the original vendor's poorly designed/machined POS.

Also, a quick 'fix' that anyone can do is to place a 9/16th O-ring before reinstalling the stock antenna. The addition of the O-ring will close the small gap that exists between the plastic case and the nut that secures the SMA connector.

Here is a short video from W9AMT describing how to use aftermarket antennas on the MD2317 as well as help prevent having the broken SMA connector problem.
https://www.facebook.com/HoosierDMR/...2410123411251/
Old 02-03-2018, 11:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Entry Level Radio

I like my TYT MD-2017.
Uniden BC75xlt
Old 02-04-2018, 5:53 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I picked up the MD380 a few weeks ago. Loaded Md Tools the day i got it and dumped in a code plug. Have used it alot since I got it while on the road. Last week ordered another for my wife. I know its not the best radio but for under $100 it is a good unit to try DMR. I plan to upgrade to Motorola but didn't want to invest money in something i wouldn't use.