Entry level DMR ham radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7VIQ

Premium Subscriber
I have been away from Ham radio for several years. I am wanting a new radio and am also newly researching a first DMR ham radio, and was specifically looking into the Baofeng DM-5R PLUS and this is the first thread I found via google search, but it looks like right off that the Baofeng DM-5R PLUS is NOT the entry level DMR radio I am looking for. I am also considering a Baofeng UV-82HP but it is not digital and I was hoping to try out an entry DMR ham radio. Cost is a huge consideration for me. Any suggestions from those experienced to get me on and others like me wanting to get in to DMR on the right track? Thank You.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Moved to its own thread.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
The Tytera MD-380 is a very popular entry-level DMR handheld. Be aware, however, that you need to be relatively close to a DMR repeater in order to use a handheld radio sucessfully.

Also, be aware that DMR is quite different from normal analog radio. I spent many hours reading articles and watching youtube videos about DMR until I was able to make some sense of it. If you try to go into DMR cold-turkey, it will be very confusing and frustrating IMHO.

-John AC4JK

K7VIQ

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like I had better do some YouTubing starting with the Tytera MD-380, Thank You.

mauiblue

I've been using the DMR repeater system for about a month now. What a great way to communicate with stations around the world. After you are able to set up the code plugs in your radio, you are on you way in communicating with a worldwide platform. There are many YouTube members that has produced many videos on how to setup code plugs and how to upgrade the firmware of the TYT MD-380/390. The TYT MD-380/390 are the most popular radios to use on the DMR system. Practically everyone I talk to has a TYT MD-380. Good luck.

uli2000

Premium Subscriber
If you need/want dual band, I've heard positives about the Radioddity GD-77. About the same price as a Tyt MD-380.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I own MD-380's; one VHF and the other UHF.
an MD-2017 (dual band),
and a GD-77 (dual band). All four are excellent choices! :)

I also own a Motorola XPR7550, which while very nice isn't nearly as convenient as either of my dual-band DMR HTs.

w5rah

First make sure there is a DMR repeater in your area, otherwise you will need a hot spot like the Shark to get on DMR. As far as a radio the MD-380 is a good choice for a starter radio. Lots of enhanced firmware out there that really makes it a good value. I got one when I started with DMR and it has served me quiet well.

Golay

Agree

First make sure there is a DMR repeater in your area, otherwise you will need a hot spot like the Shark to get on DMR. As far as a radio the MD-380 is a good choice for a starter radio. Lots of enhanced firmware out there that really makes it a good value. I got one when I started with DMR and it has served me quiet well.

Yes, first find out if there are any ACTIVE DMR repeaters near you. There may be some listed in a directory somewhere. But is anyone using them? Perhaps you already have friends that you know are on DMR, and you know things are active, great.

But. If you're unsure, I suggest you program the repeaters listed into a plain old analog scanner, and see if the squelch stays open enough to where you know conversations are going on.

As far as a radio, you just can't go wrong with a MD380. I would run out of fingers on both hands counting the number of hams I personally know that use it, and love it.

Station51

DMR Choices

The first DMR radio I bought was the Radioddity GD-77 (DUALBAND) VHF/UHF and was pleased with it for the $$ Good audio and good signal reports as well.
Within 10 days I purchased a MD-380 on eBay from seller LETSGETREADY who shipped the same day! Highly recommended!
The MD-380 is a bit easier (in my opinion) to program although limited to MONO band (either VHF or UHF)
Same great audio and good signal reports; more support available because it has been around on the market longer.
You can monitor DMR here: Hoseline
and listen to fellow HAMs discuss their equipment.
Good Luck and 73

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I am wanting a new radio and am also newly researching a first DMR ham radio...
Since W5RAH kinda went there, I'll ask the big question. Why?

What's driving you to DMR (or any digital voice mode)? What do you think you'll gain by using digital voice? Are there people you want to talk to on digital voice?

With the possible exception of some embedded real-time location information (D-STAR and System Fusion), I don't think there's anything that the digital voice modes offer that you can't do with analog.

N4KVE

If you need/want dual band, I've heard positives about the Radioddity GD-77.
I'm not a big lover of the recent Dollar Store radios, but I bumped into a friend at the Melbourne Fl ham fest today. He has been playing with this radio for a few weeks now, & really loves it. He is a radio tech at the county radio shop, & tested the radio. According to him, it is up to spec. I have heard his TX audio for a week now, & I hate to admit, it's pretty good. Certainly better than a MD380. While you can not add new freq's from the keypad, you can change the freq's. & other info on existing channels. Under $100. Check it out.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
With the possible exception of some embedded real-time location information (D-STAR and System Fusion), I don't think there's anything that the digital voice modes offer that you can't do with analog.

An analog HT will allow you to speak to fellow hams all over the world on one of the many different talk groups that are available?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
While you can not add new freq's from the keypad, you can change the freq's. & other info on existing channels. Under $100. Check it out.
Well, you sort-of can do that. The caveat is that you would need to create a zone of up to 16 channels for analog, and perhaps another zone with up to 16 digital channels.

After writing to the radio, you can then use the FPP to edit any of those channels as desired, and write them to memory.

Station51

Zones

Zones are pretty much like BANKS on a scanner, I mix and match them.

My MD-380 has only ZONE 1 containing both DMR and ANALOG channels

I too have always turned my nose up at the Chinese radios, but my GD-77 and MD-380 have impressed me.

Truth be told, I bought my first DMR radio so that I could monitor the busy Shopping Mall nearby.
I would not have purchased a $400 scanner for that purpose, and the benefit of having an HT that I can use for HAM operation just made sense to me.
Being a HAM I started listening to some of the HAM repeaters on DMR and found that the clarity was good.

Yes, systems such as WIN and SALTGRASS allow you to talk all over the world, but I like the detail about DMR that you usually need a DMR ID to access the repeaters. The unlicensed and jammers seem to leave DMR alone, at least so far.

You can also be VERY selective by enabling only certain TALKGROUP IDS to break the squelch on your radio.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
An analog HT will allow you to speak to fellow hams all over the world on one of the many different talk groups that are available?
An analog radio will allow you to speak to fellow hams all over the world on one of the many Echolink or IRLP reflectors.

K7VIQ

Premium Subscriber
It turns out where I live there is only one DMR repeater locally and the complexity of it as well has indicated that two Baofeng UV-82HP's are the better choice for my Wife and I to get back into ham radio.
We ordered the two radios along with a genuine programing cable to assure no cable compatibility issues arise. They are supposed to ship today from Baofeng.com. They were SUPER helpful and responded QUITE by the next to three separate email queries to them, I am quite pleased with that. We thank everyone for their help here at RadioReference.com for your helpful responses.
I look forward to using the radios and being able to give them a good review.

Status
Not open for further replies.