RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Digital Voice for Amateur Use

Digital Voice for Amateur Use - Discuss use of digital voice technologies on the amateur radio bands. This is to include technologies such as VoIP, P25, DMR/TRBO, NXDN, D-STAR, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2017, 10:56 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Many legacy hams in my area have chosen to go to P25 to get away from DMR which has become CH 19 due to the availability of sub $100 CCR's. A welcome relief.
Old 11-30-2017, 1:14 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I like P25 as a public safety provider I dont need to carry 2 radios. I also agree with others about the CCR's and think the P25 networks I have used in HAM are a much nicer network.
Old 02-28-2018, 7:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
Many legacy hams in my area have chosen to go to P25 to get away from DMR which has become CH 19 due to the availability of sub $100 CCR's. A welcome relief.
Sounds elitist. Hope you are enjoying your more expensive P25 so you, and the old hams don't have to deal with the unwashed masses. /sarcasm

What the heck is a "legacy ham?" LOL.

(I did like the CH 19 chicken band reference. Made me laugh)
Old 02-28-2018, 8:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballwiz86 View Post

What the heck is a "legacy ham?" LOL.

(I did like the CH 19 chicken band reference. Made me laugh)
The hams who were the original users on the local DMR system. Most of us now use P25 to get away from the new breed of $79 Chinese radio users who now populate the repeater, & turned it into CH 19. And the fact that the P25 radios cost a bit more is what keeps them away.
Old 02-28-2018, 8:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Some "legacy hams" also go a little further because they often snub the newer hams and technology rather than adopt the "Elmer" tradition of helping newer hams become better operators.
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2018, 9:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
The hams who were the original users on the local DMR system. Most of us now use P25 to get away from the new breed of $79 Chinese radio users who now populate the repeater, & turned it into CH 19. And the fact that the P25 radios cost a bit more is what keeps them away.

What? They do? I keep getting P25 radios given to me…it’s like they are falling out of the sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2018, 9:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCore25 View Post
What? They do? I keep getting P25 radios given to me…it’s like they are falling out of the sky.
Cool. The fact that they think they have to pay hundreds for the CPS, & cable also helps.
Old 03-01-2018, 6:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Very funny I thought it was part of being a Ham Radio Operator was to EXPAND AND GROW THE HOBBY not try to push others away.
The Amateur’s Code
by Paul M. Segal, W9EEA (1928)

The Radio Amateur is:

CONSIDERATE….. never knowingly operating in such a way as to lessen the pleasure of others.

LOYAL….. offering loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs, local clubs and the American Radio Relay League, through which Amateur Radio in the United States is represented nationally and internationally.

PROGRESSIVE….. with knowledge abreast of science, a well built and efficient station, and operation beyond reproach.

FRIENDLY….. with slow and patient operation when requested, friendly advice and counsel to the beginner, kindly assistance, co-operation and consideration for the interests of others. These are the hallmarks of the amateur spirit.

BALANCED….. Radio is an advocation, never interfering with duties owed to family, job, school or community.

PATRIOTIC….. with station and skill always ready for service to country and community.
Old 03-01-2018, 8:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Anything that gets away from the illegals that are now popping up with boefongs etc that are making up/ using phony call signs of silent keys etc. I'll gladly el;mer any new person as long as they do it correctly.
Old 03-01-2018, 8:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

There are also NDXN, Fusion and D-Star repeaters, if you don't dig DMR or plain old FM. Exactly what are "legacy hams"? Personally, I have become obsessed with HF digital modes and like a lot of hams, can't stay away from FT-8.
Old 03-01-2018, 9:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Motosnobbery in ham radio.
Old 03-01-2018, 9:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
Motosnobbery in ham radio.
I don't know if that was meant as an overall comment or specially about P25 and ham radio, but my Harris works just fine on 2M P25.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:16 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
This is the exact reason i switched my Quantar to P25. I had a hunting group who bought a pile of $20 radios and decided to use my input. For month i searched for the guys and in the end they really didn't care....
Old 03-01-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2ztx View Post
This is the exact reason i switched my Quantar to P25. I had a hunting group who bought a pile of $20 radios and decided to use my input. For month i searched for the guys and in the end they really didn't care....
I'd have reversed the pair for a while and put them on the receiving end of the problem.
Old 03-02-2018, 6:41 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz0468 View Post
I'd have reversed the pair for a while and put them on the receiving end of the problem.
I had thought about it, but wouldn't help me any.
Old 03-02-2018, 7:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderknight View Post
I don't know if that was meant as an overall comment or specially about P25 and ham radio, but my Harris works just fine on 2M P25.
Both. It's more a matter of commercial vs ham radio snobbery. People who use terms "real" to describe commercial and "hammy" to describe amateur equipment are Motosnobs.
Old 03-02-2018, 8:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Both. It's more a matter of commercial vs ham radio snobbery. People who use terms "real" to describe commercial and "hammy" to describe amateur equipment are Motosnobs.
Nothing wrong with "hammy" Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu. It's the Baofeng, Wouxun, Radioddity, etc that's junk.
Old 03-02-2018, 8:19 AM

Quote:

Hahahaha

Just because someone does not like the garbage pail hammy radios that are offered these days does make someone a ‘Motosnobs’

Add in the plethora of garbage coming out of China, with names one needs to guess how to pronounce, and it’s no wonder folks are using modes like P25 and NXDN.

DMR was fun until the masses of operators showed up that can’t be bothered to learn how to program their radios, and just beg for a pre-made code plug, now the only talk group worth monitoring is Local.

Call me a ‘Motosnob’ if you want, but my Motorola radios have sat unused for over a year now.

Old 03-02-2018, 8:37 AM

So, in my case is it a Snobwood? But then again I do own some Motorola, so maybe I'm a Motosnobwood.

But then where do you draw the line between Kenwood amateur and Kenwood LMR? Or EFJ?
Old 03-02-2018, 8:39 AM

Oh mmckenna. Snobwood and Motosnobwood. I Love it.

Tags
dmr, dstar, fusion, p-25, p25