RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Digital Voice for Amateur Use

Digital Voice for Amateur Use - Discuss use of digital voice technologies on the amateur radio bands. This is to include technologies such as VoIP, P25, DMR/TRBO, NXDN, D-STAR, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 8:30 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglou0 View Post
By the way, skip Ebay and just go directly to the source. Why would you pay a mark up for a product that is freely available? Maybe if you can't solder the OLED but that's a hell of a premium to pay.
This unit comes completely assembled and fully programmed. It would have been impossible to test the unit were that not so...

Test ID 460xxxx, test frequency 439.600MHZ, test mode DMR, test WIFI: TZB/13902982913

That's why it is more expensive than the "kit" from Aliexpress. It's a matter of convenience.
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2018, 8:35 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, you are correct the one listed on eBay says it is assembled and includes a Raspberry Pi.
I was referring to the response that was posted by Kinglou0 in reference to purchasing the package from Aliexpress.
I apologize for not making that clear.
You will still need some Linux programming knowledge to get setup and keep it running.
The Openspot is written in pure C and does not require programming knowledge. It has a simple web browser user interface. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1haf View Post
This is a very interesting package. It is not plug and play ready though. It does not come with a Raspberry Pi unit. You have to supply your own. You also will have to find the mmdvm software image and do the programming in Linux to get it setup and working. This is good for those who donít mind doing all of this.
If you want a unit that works out of the box with minimal setup I would still go with an Openspot or Nano spot.
If someone can't manage flashing a micro SD card with Pi-Star and using any of the number of blog posts or YouTube videos to get Pi-Star running, they should seriously think about how much effort they're really putting into being an amateur radio operator.

Part of being a ham is the quest for new knowledge. I don't want to start an "appliance operator" discussion but unless one is willing to invest the time to learn how the software and hardware works, digital modes very quickly become a frustrating proposition for everyone involved.

Besides, this is also a great club project for those hams that aren't completely sure how everything works. A lazy afternoon filled with badly told jokes and everyone has a working hotspot for significantly less than a Nano Spot or Open Spot.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:33 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
If someone can't manage flashing a micro SD card with Pi-Star and using any of the number of blog posts or YouTube videos to get Pi-Star running, they should seriously think about how much effort they're really putting into being an amateur radio operator.

Part of being a ham is the quest for new knowledge. I don't want to start an "appliance operator" discussion but unless one is willing to invest the time to learn how the software and hardware works, digital modes very quickly become a frustrating proposition for everyone involved.

Besides, this is also a great club project for those hams that aren't completely sure how everything works. A lazy afternoon filled with badly told jokes and everyone has a working hotspot for significantly less than a Nano Spot or Open Spot.

Agreed.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:13 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Talking

I have had the DV4Mini (JUNK!!) Than got the DVMega single band UHf ran it with the KB5RAB Image with a raspberry pi 3 for DMR (was ok) Then got the OPENspot! Love it so much I now have two, One I use at home for DMR and one in my truck on the road with me for DMR (This is the one in the photo.). Then Pi-Star came along and made the MMDVM image control so much easer. (I'm telling you if you are going to use MMDVM at all use Pi-Star) Then I went and got a ZUMspot, I use it on a Raspberry Pi Zero W (Wireless) on P-25. Boy it fun not having to use someones repeater and then they F***i** B**** at you for using it. Now I have MY SPOT's and NO ONE CAN tell me to get off of them!!

I use /\/\ XPR7550e DMR
and
XTS2500 M3 on P-25
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2018, 12:47 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

I agree 100 %........
Old 01-30-2018, 1:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Open spot

I like the DVmega (not the mini) with the Adruino board because the blue tooth allows you to use any device such as an Android tablet or phone with blue tooth and a data connection (wifi or 4G) to the internet. All you need for a mobile setup is a 5 volt power supply using your car power socket and a USB charging cable.
Old 02-16-2018, 5:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2ICV View Post
I have had the DV4Mini (JUNK!!) Than got the DVMega single band UHf ran it with the KB5RAB Image with a raspberry pi 3 for DMR (was ok) Then got the OPENspot! Love it so much I now have two, One I use at home for DMR and one in my truck on the road with me for DMR (This is the one in the photo.). Then Pi-Star came along and made the MMDVM image control so much easer. (I'm telling you if you are going to use MMDVM at all use Pi-Star) Then I went and got a ZUMspot, I use it on a Raspberry Pi Zero W (Wireless) on P-25. Boy it fun not having to use someones repeater and then they F***i** B**** at you for using it. Now I have MY SPOT's and NO ONE CAN tell me to get off of them!!

I use /\/\ XPR7550e DMR
and
XTS2500 M3 on P-25
Details on your amazing setup for mobile. Are you using cell phone as hot spot or serpate Hockey Putt

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2018, 7:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

he has a verizon hotspot in the picture
Old 02-17-2018, 7:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1haf View Post
Yes, you are correct the one listed on eBay says it is assembled and includes a Raspberry Pi.
I was referring to the response that was posted by Kinglou0 in reference to purchasing the package from Aliexpress.
I apologize for not making that clear.
You will still need some Linux programming knowledge to get setup and keep it running.
The Openspot is written in pure C and does not require programming knowledge. It has a simple web browser user interface. Sorry for the confusion.
Absolutely no knowledge of Linux is needed. Pi-Satr has a web page that configures the wifi for you. You download that config file, drag and drop it onto the sd card, plug the the card into the hotspot and boot up. Once it's booted, then log into the web based interface and away you go.

I have one of the Chinese based hotspots ($120 from eBay), a NanoSpot ($269 direct from Micro-Node), and a DVMega (dual band on a Raspberry Pi $169 plus cost of Pi) - all running Pi-Star. Again, no knowledge of Linux required.

I also have an Openspot which has been great, but the lack of wifi is a pain for mobile use. I also have a DV4Mini that has been tossed in the junk drawer. It requires constant babysitting due to bad drivers, software, and total lack of support.
Old 02-17-2018, 7:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9BU View Post
I'm considering buying a DMR/D-STAR/Fusion hot spot. I currently own D-STAR and Fusion radios, though I might consider buying an inexpensive DMR radio in the future.

The SharkRF openSPOT has gotten good reviews and I've watched a few YouTube videos that cast it in a positive light. It seems simple to set up, can operate all three of the mentioned modes, and can do some cross-mode operations. I don't mind that it doesn't have internal Wi-Fi because I will primarily being using it at home where I have a wired network. The only down side I see is that it uses a web interface which means you need a web browser to access it.

What's out there that has the features of the SharkRF openSPOT that I like (multiple modes, cross-mode operation, self-contained package), but also has a built-in user interface? In other words, is there a clean, self-contained open spot that has a built-in touch screen LCD user interface?

Thank you.
There is this one:
Micro-Node Nano-DV

It's the only one I know of that meets your requirements out of the box with good support. You will pay a good price though.
Old 03-04-2018, 8:33 PM

Default Now I'm really confused...

I'm thinking of spending the ~$134 for Ebay product. So does this chinese knockoff need to be updated with SD card firmware to work, or is it truly plug-n-play product with my FT-70D-Fusion radio? ...and dont tell me i need a new hobby, bla bla amateur radio guy. I work for a factory and flash firmware/test product ALL day, and dont have time to muck with a product I BUY.

Off Topic: I still have on back order qty 2 zumspots and they keep telling me 2 weeks; may just cancel them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4GIX View Post
A friend of mine just posted this a few days ago. He commented:
Currently it is selling for US $131.75
MMDVM hotspot Support P25 DMR YSF + raspberry pi +OLED +Antenna + Case
Features:

∑ High performance 32-bit ARM processor
∑ Fully tested
∑ Supports DMR, P-25, D-Star and System Fusion
∑ Onboard LEDs to show status (Tx, Rx, PTT, Mode)
∑ Up to 10mW RF power

Test ID 460xxxx, test frequency 439.600MHZ, test mode DMR, test WIFI: TZB/13902982913

Package:
1. OLED display x1
2. raspberry pi zero x1
3. MMDVM hotspot board x1
4. 4G TFT card x1
5. case x1
6. 433Mhz antenna x1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MMDVM-hotsp...MAAOSwPIhaQLgw
Old 06-23-2018, 2:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

MMDVM is the way to go, on a Pi3 or Pi 1 I use Pi-Star and love it
Pictured is A Commander Spot I purchased recently, but the Nextion screen sucked so i made a new one
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2018, 2:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Also SharkRF has discontinued manufacture of the Open spot, rumor is a new one is coming
Old 06-23-2018, 9:32 PM
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WX4JCW View Post
Also SharkRF has discontinued manufacture of the Open spot, rumor is a new one is coming
I would imagine the SharkRF openSpot sales were getting mangled by the relatively high price and requirement of cabling to a router. I would expect the forthcoming unit would address the lack of WiFi and Bluetooth. Their webpage https://shop.sharkrf.com/index.php seems to have dropped the "this summer" tag. So who knows?