RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Digital Voice for Amateur Use

Digital Voice for Amateur Use - Discuss use of digital voice technologies on the amateur radio bands. This is to include technologies such as VoIP, P25, DMR/TRBO, NXDN, D-STAR, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2018, 1:06 PM

Default Dstar: multiple hotspots with same callsign, callsign routing

Greetings all,

I was wondering on the D-Star side of things how is callsign routing handled if you have a repeater/dedicated hotspot with your callsign?

Meaning, If I have a repeater my gateway is callsign__G. If I travel with my hotspot it will then register a new callsign_G, deeming it the new "primary" for my callsign.

Has anyone run into this situation yet? Id like to travel with my dvmega or hotspot and be able to route back and listen home to my repeater.

I notice in the IRCDDB logs when i turn the dvmega on, my callsign_G gets registered with a new IP address (essentially my phones IP address). I have tried using a different module for the hotspot, but the gateway __G cant change.
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2018, 10:46 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Does the repeater have a dedicated call sign of it's own or is it using your personal call sign? If it is using your personal call, I suggest getting a club call for use with the repeater. Then setup both on Quadnet (www.openquad.net) instead of the european ircDDB. The repeater would use the club call and your hotspot would use your personal call. No registration required.

Quadnet is basically ircDDB 2.0. It gives standard call sign routing like the original ircDDB but it also adds zone routing as well as group routing. Well worth having a look.

Jeff VE6DV

Last edited by EdmontonFireRadio; 01-21-2018 at 10:51 AM..
Old 01-21-2018, 3:09 PM

In DStar usually a repeater stack has its own call. A hotspot and say an HT, or other radio can have unique IDs. For example WA1BCD*K and WA1BCD*J. Where K is the HT and J is the hotspot. It can get complicated in managing this situation so itís usually discouraged but it does work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk