Using MMDVM to link to sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Could the MMVDM unit be used to link 2 sites privately without using any public radio network?

kinglou0

Could the MMVDM unit be used to link 2 sites privately without using any public radio network?

I don't know for sure but I can't see why not. It would probably involve editing the host files on whatever software you're using and standing up your own reflector/talk group. I also don't know if you could restrict access to your group if someone got access to the IP address for your server. You would still need a radio or an AMBE unit as well.

Really interesting question.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Here's the scenario: a company has 2 physical locations, which are not within radio range of each other. The goal is to allow radio communication between the sites, without spamming them with radio traffic from non-company users. I'm assuming that a small linear amp will be needed at each site to boost the milliwatt-level RF output from the MMVDM to something adequate to cover each site. Users will have individual HTs.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin

The is exactly what I'm wanting to do as well, but other than the openSPOT none of them seem to directly advertise this ability. In my case I'd like to set one up in my office at work, then another at home (or wherever I may be I suppose) and be able to RX/TX the system from wherever I am. Not sure I want to spend $500 for 2 openSPOT units though so cheaper alternatives would definitely be nice.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately you have to be a member of that group to see the answer. Any chance you could copy/paste please?
Sorry, forgot it was member only to view.. The fusion guys are outta luck, but D-Star and DMR.. well, see for yourself
31248fecd7b72b8dd377de597eac89b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Thank you sir! I've applied for access to the group but no response yet.
Keep in mind this is for spots running Pi-star software..but I'm sure it's the same for others, if not close.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind this is for spots running Pi-star software..but I'm sure it's the same for others, if not close.

Oh, and don't ask for help with any of the eBay Chinese mmdvm boards.. they get testy..

woodpecker

Which variant of firmware should be used for the Chinese pi zero hat boards, is it the same as HS_HAT, got one to experiment with but don't want to brick it...

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Which variant of firmware should be used for the Chinese pi zero hat boards, is it the same as HS_HAT, got one to experiment with but don't want to brick it...
If you run Pi-star on a raspberry PI, it has a utility to update the HS-Hat

lmrtek

I suspect that they have receivers that have very poor selectivity
and out of band rejection since they are only designed to use the antenna they come with at the power level they come with.
And their transmitters are likely not up to FCC commercial specs so amplifying them may cause interference that you will be held liable for.
An adding an outdoor base antenna will likely expose the front end to interference levels it will not be able to handle.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I suspect that they have receivers that have very poor selectivity
and out of band rejection since they are only designed to use the antenna they come with at the power level they come with.
And their transmitters are likely not up to FCC commercial specs so amplifying them may cause interference that you will be held liable for.
An adding an outdoor base antenna will likely expose the front end to interference levels it will not be able to handle.
They're, I believe, talking about linking over the interwebs not RF.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Vertex had a linking solution for DMR using a box which conveyed the serial output from their mobile to IP. Motorola now has something similar for the SLR1000. RF Technology has a similar feature on their Eclipse 2 repeaters when configured as base stations (difference is it'll do analog or P25).

The MMDVM is really dependent on what radio it is interfaced to add to what it can do. I also believe party of the terms of use are no commercial use (we looked at using them to build low coast tactical P25 repeaters out of).

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin

I'm eagerly awaiting mine to arrive on the slow boat from China... sounds like a neat gadget to play with!

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I'm eagerly awaiting mine to arrive on the slow boat from China... sounds like a neat gadget to play with!
I'm having a blast with mine. Pi-star was a breeze to set up. I was on ait with it in under 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.