New Alinco DMR dual band HT. DJ-MD5

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

I missed the Alinco booth this year at Dayton. Since Alinco is relabeling an Anytone radio for their analog dual band I wonder if this new DMR radio is a re-badge from someone else?

Saw this new radio at the Alinco booth at Dayton. Nice little dual band, with FPP. It will sell for $149. Unlike the other recent Johnny come lately CCR's, this radio is sold by Alinco, which has been selling radios in the USA for decades, & has a factory authorized sales, & service center in the USA.
https://rigreference.com/rigs/6402-alinco-dj-md5

N4KVE

Well looking at both photo’s side by side, it certainly is not a rebadged Anytone D868UV. Doesn’t look like anything made by TYT, Ailunce, or Radioddity either. But again, the strong selling point is Alinco has a factory authorized US sales, & service center, while none of the others do.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Well looking at both photo’s side by side, it certainly is not a rebadged Anytone D868UV. Doesn’t look like anything made by TYT, Ailunce, or Radioddity either. But again, the strong selling point is Alinco has a factory authorized US sales, & service center, while none of the others do.

That's a big selling point for me before I invest my hard earned dollars into radio gear.

prcguy

Not sure about the others but the Anytone D868UV I bought comes with a 1yr US warranty and there is a US service center where the US seller will take care of any problems. Anytone is not as established at Alinco but its also not considered a grey market radio any more.

N4KVE

All the sellers of the Anytone import them from China. None are factory backed. Yes, if the radio dies, they can send you another one. But my point is there is no single factory authorized importer, like ALINCO, Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu.

prcguy

I know "Import Communications" and others will swap out a bad radio under warranty but if the radio breaks after the warranty that's another problem. This company is making some good claims:

We offer One Year Limited Warranty repair or replace in the USA. You do not ship to China and cause you headaches. We have a service center in the USA and will offer warranty service on radios bought from us only. This seller is "Lets Get Ready" in Long Beach, CA and their prices are some of the best I've found on various Chinese radios.

All the sellers of the Anytone import them from China. None are factory backed. Yes, if the radio dies, they can send you another one. But my point is there is no single factory authorized importer, like ALINCO, Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu.

N4KVE

If I was interested in buying the Anytone, it would be from Connect Systems. They seem to sell more than anybody. But again, my point is there is no single factory distributor. Anyone who wants to buy a dozen from China, can. With the Alinco, everyone sold in the USA will have been imported by Remtronix. The factory backed distributor.

w2xq

Mentor
I called Remtronix Sales to see if there was a better availability date on the DJ-MD5. The short answer is probably mid--August. A limited supply coming by air will probably mostly go to DX Engineering and Ham Radio Outlet.

The Canadian approval is done; the FCC review--he wasn't sure--is either done or just about so.

The unit shown in Dayton was a prototype, and the DJ-MD5 has undergone some additional engineering modifications. It will be smaller than the MD-380 class of radios.

When I suggested perhaps adding a line at the webpage bottom about a better availability date, the person said he expected to update the webpage by week's end.

I didn't push for specific information on the engineering details, as no spec sheet was yet available. He did say I would be surprised with the unit.

The 7 minute conversation was interesting and cordial, not rushing to end the call. I'm looking forward to see and learn more. HTH.

N4KVE

I played with the prototype at Dayton. & it seemed very intuitive to enter freq's, TG's, CC's, etc from the keypad. I think this radio will be the best of all the DMR dual band radios.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber

cjorg

Premium Subscriber
Funny that these radios have been out for a week or two and not any reviews yet, at least that I can find.

SCPD

QRT
Alinco

Funny that these radios have been out for a week or two and not any reviews yet, at least that I can find.

Because most DMR'ers use the TYT MD380 for $89.00 you can't go wrong, best bang for the buck.
Why buy a rebadged Alinco that's made by Anytone when its going for $189+ and most DMR repeaters are
on 440 not 144MHZ.

N4KVE

Who said it was a rebadged Anytone? This is pure speculation, just like Kavanaugh tried to rape a girl 35 years ago. Where’s the proof? And remember, the radio also works on analog VHF, & UHF too. I’m sure most repeaters in this country are still VHF analog.

Last edited:

cjorg

Premium Subscriber
I guess if you had no use for analog and you want digital only then I can see your point. I don’t really want to pack two HT’s around to have both.

Status
Not open for further replies.