DIsplaying both Bands on a MD-UV380 Dualband.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DODGEIT

I recently purchased a TYT MD-UV380 Dualband Radio. I am using the CPS MD-UV380 V1.07 software for programming. I have created a codeplug with a mix of UHF and VHF Frequencies and Repeaters. When I download the programming into the radio the radio only displays the upper "A" band with the UHF frequencies. The lower "B" band shows only the word Unprogram. I can't find any setting on the radio or in the software to get it to show programmed VHF frequencies which in my current case are analog frequencies. How does one get this radio to display both bands. Also how do I get the radio to allow manual entering of the talkgroups into the radio? I have a MD-380 that allows me to enter the talkgroup I want.

w2xq

Mentor
I assume you have the channels programmed. The answer lies within creating the zone list.

Create a new zone--Analog--and it will open a dual pair of windows for VFO A (UHF) and VFO B (VHF). Each pair of windows has the full channel list and an empty window.

Scroll down the *left* channel list, highlight a UHF repeater (or simplex) and click on "Add" to move it into the smaller left window.

Scroll down the *right* channel list, highlight a VHF repeater (or simplex) and click on "Add" to move it into the smaller right window.

Save the codeplug.

The VFOs are not ganged. If audio is heard on both VFOs simultaneously, VFO A (UHF) has priority.

More notes on the UV380: Amateur Radio

By the way the current N0GSG Contact Manager will read and edit the MD-UV380 codeplug.

HTH.

Phoenix805

Thanks for the info! I have a MD-UV380 on order and it should be here in about a week. It looks like a decent radio for a good price, but...... I'm wondering if I should have went with one of the other models that has more info available. Something tells me I'm going to have a big challenge on my hands. I'm hoping to write my own code plug so hopefully I can have a better understanding of what's going on, but I'll probably 'borrow' someone else's first to get a feel for it.

w2xq

Mentor
Phoenix805, I assume you saw my UV380 notes (link above).

I am not sorry about buying the UV380. When you get the new radio, using the supplied UV380 CPS software, first "read" your new radio and save that new empty unmodified file--rename it and move it someplace safe--as a backstop if needed.

One possible solution to jumpstart putting the UV380 on the air is to have someone in/around Phoenix with a TYT MD380 share their codeplug. Open the MD380 codeplug with the N0GSG Contact Manager and save the file as a UV380 file. (The N0GSG reads the codeplugs of other radios as well.)

Open the saved file with the UV380 CPS software. Change the DMR ID et al to your ID, save the file, and "write" it to the radio.

Once you are on the air, go for it by modifying and adding to the codeplug. Some goes wrong? Just revert to the last backup.

Heck, at one point something really went wrong in my codeplug exercise. I still don't know exactly what I did. I wound up going back ~20 backups to get one working again. Moving ahead again, things went more quickly.

Now that the codeplug is stable and "complete" (it never is finished), I have deleted the earliest beginning codeplugs and retain the last dozen or so.

One other hint, just in case. Today I attempted to email the codeplug as a Gmail attachment to a friend. It was unreadable. The solution was to upload it to my Dropbox and then share the link. Whether it was a one-off problem or something else, I don't know. OneDrive and Box et al should work too.

Go for it. HTH.

Phoenix805

Yes, I read your link and bookmarked it for future reference. Your help is appreciated. To make matters worse (for me anyway) I'm in Ohio until November. I'm hoping to get everything set up here and start using it then when I return to Phoenix I'll have to make some major changes. Oh well, it keeps life interesting!

w2xq

Mentor
If you are close enough to access DMR repeaters, that works. The only advantage to a hotspot is it would give you access to more talkgroups than most repeaters would have available.

I have to use a hotspot as there are no repeaters near my location. Those repeaters in the spreadsheet are accessible if I drive toward the Philadelphia area; I used the sheet to sort out the time slots.

HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.