RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself - You're cheap, admit it. Now go discuss how to do it yourself with others

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2015, 10:38 PM

Default 12v power supply: Can I get 13.6v out of it?

So I'm a little strapped for cash and am in need of a power supply for a radio I have coming. I have an old atx (computer) power supply, and have looked at a few instructables on how to turn an atx supply into a bench power supply.

My radio requires 13.6v 10a, and atx supplies are only 12v. I've also read that most 12v circuits can be pushed to 14v.

Will an atx supply work?
Note: The power supply I'm thinking of using is a lite-on ps-6251-8cg. Output 250w:
+5v 20a max/ +12v 13a max
+5Vsb 3a max / -12v 0.8a max
+3.3v 17a max / -5v 0.3a max

Last edited by Josh380; 12-03-2015 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: Left out a few imporant notes
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2015, 7:04 PM

The radio will probably run fine on 12 volts.

13.6 volts is just the nominal voltage found in a vehicle's electrical supply. Radios don't stop working when the engine is off and the voltage level dips.
Old 12-04-2015, 8:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The radio might do okay, though I had some Yaesu 2600's, and once voltage dropped below 12 vlts, the radios flash, then reset to factory default and nothing was in the memory. They were installed in GMC pickups. Ford pickups or a Chysler LHS didn't seem to display that low a voltage on start, but once you cranked, voltage dropped below 12 and the radio reset.
Old 12-04-2015, 8:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

13.8 Volts (or 13.6) is the nominal voltage for an automotive electrical system. It's OK to be a bit out.

I just took a peek at the voltage and current specs of three of my transceivers.. (2 Icom and 1 Kenwood). They all list the requirements as 13.8 Volts +/- 15%.

12 Volts is about 13% lower than 13.6, so you should be fine.
Old 12-05-2015, 6:45 PM

Computer power supplies are notorious for creating RFI when used to power radios unless you do some serious work on them. There was an article in QST magazine years ago about this and it can get pretty involved cleaning them up.
prcguy
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2015, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
Computer power supplies are notorious for creating RFI when used to power radios unless you do some serious work on them. There was an article in QST magazine years ago about this and it can get pretty involved cleaning them up.
prcguy
I was wondering about that. Guess I just need to get a regular power supply.
Old 12-05-2015, 8:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
prcguy
The computer supplies sold on eBay for strip lights, etc. Are 30 amp and work very well with no RFI. I use one on my Kenwood 281. The average $22-$27 dollars shipped. I got mine for $23
Old 04-18-2017, 8:59 AM

If it's a regulated supply; you should be able to get inside the PS and adjust the voltage on a potentiometer inside it.
I generally adjust mine to around 13.85 volts on a digital meter. That seems to satisfy most of the radio gear here at the house and worked pretty well with the base station at the yard.
Most mobiles like to see at least 13.5 volts or so =, since this is the operating voltage of most automobiles.
The converter that we have in most of the engines has an input of 64vdc and converts it down to 13.85 due to adjusting it there to satisfy the 12vdc voltage on most of the common non-clean cab radios which do have a convertor in them for the higher mains voltage.
So, yes, you can adjust it if its a regulated ps. It should not be that difficult to do. Just use a digital VOM instead of one of the analog ones and the problem will be easy to solve.
Good luck.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:44 PM

computer power supplies are lucky to put out 12 volts and they are poorly regulated compared to a quality regulated DC supply

Most radios will run fine on 12 volts with lower transmit power as a result

You MIGHT get lucky and find a PC supply that will adjust up to 13.8v but that's rare
Old 06-24-2017, 9:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The 30 amp computer supplies on eBay have a trimmer pot that can be adjusted to up to 14v.
Old 06-24-2017, 1:18 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskrat39 View Post
The 30 amp computer supplies on eBay have a trimmer pot that can be adjusted to up to 14v.
Are you talking about the power supply for an Laptop computer....
Old 06-25-2017, 2:05 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No, I am referring to the mainframe supplies also sold as strip light supplies referenced above.