RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself - You're cheap, admit it. Now go discuss how to do it yourself with others

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2017, 9:15 PM

Default Need to camoflauge a mast..color/paint question

I have a push up pole for an antenna mast, and I need to paint it so it blends in with a palm tree trunk. It has the typcal grayish brown color. Can anyone suggest a method/color that might best accomplish this?
Old 02-24-2017, 9:58 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh380 View Post
I have a push up pole for an antenna mast, and I need to paint it so it blends in with a palm tree trunk. It has the typcal grayish brown color. Can anyone suggest a method/color that might best accomplish this?
As far as colors go, why not try a few color chips from the hardware/paint store and see what matches? Use flat not gloss or semigloss. My first thought is that you'd have to repaint this often since push up poles rely on friction to hold the sections in the extended position.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:23 AM

Might not be a scalable solution, but one of the local hardware stores has a display of fancy colored duct tapes. I know they have at least one camouflage pattern.

Other option is that most large hardware stores and sporting good stores will sell specific flat camo paints for painting your duck boat/blind, etc. I used to have an old military trailer and I used those paints to get a somewhat accurate looking camo paint job.

And, as I'm sure you know, 90% of successful painting is in the prep. Sanding the mast well, wipe it down with alcohol or suitable cleaner and follow up with a primer will help the paint last a lot longer. This "90% prep" thing is why I usually hire a painter to do stuff at my house, I just don't have the patience.
Old 02-26-2017, 1:04 AM

Was kinda looking for a rattle can paint job. It doesn't have to be "camouflage" like a forest camo, it just has to blend in. Ive seen that duct tape and that's not gonna work with a palm tree, but a good suggestion though. Would've killed two birds with one stone. Excuse the expression...

As far as the vertical movement goes, I've experienced some issues with that, that have become slightly annoying. I plan on drilling a small hole at each section and putting a screw in to keep it up.

At any rate I'm hoping this will be the last time I have to mess with my antenna for a while.

Last edited by Josh380; 02-26-2017 at 1:19 AM..
Old 02-26-2017, 1:52 PM

Go to hardware store, buy bright neon pink spray paint. Paint tree trunk neon pink, then paint antenna mast the same color. Trust me, no one will notice the mast.

Or...you could just look for tan paint and paint the mast to match the tree. Even WalMart carries the "camo" paints, which tend to have a flat finish and a variety of "tree" browns.

Last time I painted an antenna, I made sure *not* to clean or prime it, I wanted it to be easier to remove the paint at a future date. And it still held up well. If you want it to be permanent, clean it and prime it though.

But I'd still suggest the neon pink first.(G)
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2017, 2:08 PM

Ha! Bright neon pink tree..you're right nobody would notice the antenna! Course my neighbors would have a fit.
Old 02-26-2017, 4:32 PM

Nah, just tell them yo often come home stinking drunk just around dawn, and the bright color is so you don't walk into the tree.(G)
Old 02-27-2017, 9:33 AM

I've had to cammo lots of antennas and masts and its very easy. Since you are trying to blend in with a specific tree, first paint the mast with some flat brown color that closely matches the tree bark. Then add some random thin shots of flat black at similar angles to the bark pattern then a few of the same in a lighter shade of brown or even a few shots of flat grey to break up the mast.

Here is a quick job I had to do in my daughters back yard to hide a 43ft tall aluminum antenna she sees out the kitchen window. I even had a bright orange Home Depot bucket to protect an auto tuner and before I painted the bucket you could see it a block away. Now it disappears since the view from the kitchen has some rocks and wood logs behind the bucket that just blend together, even in the snow.

If you can blow up the picture you will see the flat brown base color then random shots of black and grey.
prcguy
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2017, 5:10 PM

Wow. Wish I had a backyard like that. I've done something similar with another background I had to blend the mast in with and it worked well..I posted pics in another thread somewhere around here..

I guess I just gonna have to find a base color that matches it (cut a little off the tree to match it) and have at it..find another darker color to blend in the lines that are on the tree.
Old 03-01-2017, 7:24 PM

The 43ft vertical with auto tuner and a ton of radials is on a remote control HF base station about 25mi north of Boston on a 1 acre plot. I use it from So Cal and its real handy for comparing antenna's at my home location in So Cal.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh380 View Post
Wow. Wish I had a backyard like that. I've done something similar with another background I had to blend the mast in with and it worked well..I posted pics in another thread somewhere around here..

I guess I just gonna have to find a base color that matches it (cut a little off the tree to match it) and have at it..find another darker color to blend in the lines that are on the tree.
Old 03-02-2017, 5:24 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

before painting be sure to degrease the pole first, or the paint might just blow off in tha wind. buy a small can of laquer thinner, pint size will do and saturate a clean rag with the thinner. wipe down throughly. laquer thinner evaperates fast, in about 30 seconds. let the rag dry out out doors over a fence post or like to prevent spontenious combustion. then through in outside garbage container. and don't forget, no smoking when doing this.
Old 03-02-2017, 9:36 AM

Absolutely right, if you don't clean whatever your painting your efforts might just peel off. Here is the best cleaner I've found for degreasing and prepping before painting. Its not toxic and I get it at "The Dollar Store" at .99c for 64oz, or a half gallon. That is cheaper than buying water. https://www.dollartree.com/LA-s-Tota...0084/index.pro

If your push up mast is galvanized you will have a problem of the paint eventually peeling off. If you use a good self etching primer it will last longer, but will start flaking at some point.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmi8dy View Post
before painting be sure to degrease the pole first, or the paint might just blow off in tha wind. buy a small can of laquer thinner, pint size will do and saturate a clean rag with the thinner. wipe down throughly. laquer thinner evaperates fast, in about 30 seconds. let the rag dry out out doors over a fence post or like to prevent spontenious combustion. then through in outside garbage container. and don't forget, no smoking when doing this.