Leeds and Grenville fire going digital

Status
Not open for further replies.
In January of 2009 the fire departmnets in the county are going digital.and there is not a thing we can do about it. basicly they are pushing on us. all of the department have to buy there equipment. and they will not tell us what format they are using. guys I need all the help I can get on this one

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
What kind of help?

When they switch, if listening to them is that important to you, find out what technology they're using and purchase an appropriate radio.

LordJ

If you are on the inside, you should have more info than us......
Maybe like North Durham and going to Fleetnet... This would enable easier coms between the Fire and EMS...Just a thought...

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
This would enable easier coms between the Fire and EMS...Just a thought...

Keep in mind that there's been no real interoperability on Fleetnet yet so I'm not sure you would see anything different.

For large situations, they could use one of the Public Safety interop channels but I think you'll see dispatchers and onscene supervisors doing the interop.

more info

all I know is that all the radios in the county will not be compatable with the new system and that all firefighters pagers will also not work. and that the new radio willn ot be capable to use analog channels. is it me or is some salesman bulls**** us so he can sell a whole new system. what about mutal aid with other counties. marine channels. and are fir departmnet allowed to use digital. I thought that was a life saftey issue

Last edited by a moderator:

LordJ

Keep in mind that there's been no real interoperability on Fleetnet yet so I'm not sure you would see anything different.

For large situations, they could use one of the Public Safety interop channels but I think you'll see dispatchers and onscene supervisors doing the interop.

I was thinking more for the Volunteer FD first responders. Sometimes for a medical assist they are there for a bit before the ambulance gets there. They could then talk with MOH if need be.. The FD 1st Responders could give details to the EMS kinda thing...

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
I was thinking more for the Volunteer FD first responders. Sometimes for a medical assist they are there for a bit before the ambulance gets there. They could then talk with MOH if need be.. The FD 1st Responders could give details to the EMS kinda thing...

The First Responders at Rama are on Fleetnet and show up on the EMS channel for the area so it is a definite possibility.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
all I know is that all the radios in the county will not be compatable with the new system and that all firefighters pagers will also not work.

That's typical of moving to a trunking system however most if not all departments retain a conventional channel for paging.

and that the new radio willn ot be capable to use analog channels.

I don't know of any radios that won't do digital and analog.

It's either you misunderstanding what you've been told or the salesman doesn't know what he's talking about.

I think you'll have to wait and see what they implement before jumping to any conclusions.

sirsmiley

but provoice is MA COM and ive been told by our radio providers that its gone way down hill ever since they bought out GE/Ericsson...back when they made ORIONS....those were some good radios...of course if they can put out a good marketing campaign...it might come down to dollars and cents...changing over to digital from analog is big bucks...you probaly have the towers but all the radios and voting systems have to get changed out

Jammin_Jay

Who is the fire depts radio service provider? If its the same as police i already know who it is and can get information.
They would start implementing the system at the County dispatch center in Brockville on Laurier Blvd.

You could check TAFL to see if industry canada has had any frequency pendings or status changes.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
They could go MotoTRBO.... Sarnia Fire is in the process of switching now. Might already be done actually. Keep your fingers crossed that it's P25.

smittyj77

If fire goes Digital, do you not think that EMS will go with them as well.. also like someone else said, will they still not have to keep an analog channel for paging?

LordJ

It could very well be that they are going to an analog trunked system, and it is mistaken for a digital system by people who don't really know the difference....

sirsmiley

you never know....radio companies are probably loving pushing out digital as they say analog is "old technology" and everyone will think along the same lines as analog vs digital tv...and what a difference there....

more profit margin for them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.