Scanner Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwyoung

I could use some help on picking a Scanner.
I am looking for one to follow town police and opp.
One that can be updated with software or add on's that is below the $1000. price range.
I am sure you can tell I am new to scanners so any help with picking a scanner would be great.
Thx in advance.
pwyoung

69stiles

I've got a mix of Uniden & Radio Shack. Both Are programmed with software. Since you need OPP then you will need a digital scanner. The RS pro-96 (handheld) & pro-2096 (base) are easy to use but lack the features the Uniden radio's have. The Uniden 996(base) & 396 (handheld) are awesome radio's loaded with features. It does take awhile to learn these though but well worth it. I just bought the analogue versions. I've bought all my radio's on ebay.

pwyoung

Radio Options

How well do Aloinco,Aor,Icom work with opp and town police scanning most of the info I can find are on Uniden units.
pwyoung

jellotor

Well, which town police are you referring to? You can pretty well rule out Icom and Alinco scanners doing trunktracking and to listen to the OPP in most of the province you'll need a P25 digital scanner that will do Motorola Type 2 VHF trunking.

pwyoung

Radio Options

I am looking at the Perth Town and Opp as well as Kaladar Opp and Ottawa if possible.
Pwyoung

mbstone99

Scanner

If you want to scan the OPP then you should go with either the Pro 96 or Uniden Bearcat 396T. As for Ottawa.. all you will be able to listen to for the Public Safety stuff is the Fire on the Ottawa City trunk or the EMS on Fleetnet, not sure if they have migrated up there yet though. The police in Ottawa are Provoice Digital and there is not a scanner that can decode that type of digital modulation.

Matt

mciupa

pwyoung said:
I could use some help on picking a Scanner.
I am looking for one to follow town police and opp.
One that can be updated with software or add on's that is below the $1000. price range.

You can consider this one. I've put the link from the primary advertiser of this site

http://www.scannermaster.com/BCD996T_Scanner_p/10-501050.htm

They're selling it for $529 US or $605 CDN . Of course you will have to add shipping fees ,depending on the priority you ship , this may add significant $$ to the bottom line.

Compare that to DurhamRadio @ $799. Pay the GST and PST and were in the $900 CDN
ball park.

Don't want to steer you one way or the other, just wanted to point out some facts.

Jammin_Jay

For Perth Town Police, I believe Alinco Markets a scanner that can uninvert voice inversion audio, which Perth Police Use. Make sure u order the scanner with that option available on it, some have it with it not available.

There is a program for the computer that will uninvert a voice inversion. If u private msg and are interested, i can email u a copy of this program, and how to use it. Its quite simple, but only good for one use of unscrambling voice inversion and that is it.

The following Towns which probably u can recieve from your area use voice inversion at the same audio invert frequency. The radio provider for these frequencies is Time/MCI.

Brockville police 142.935
Perth police 142.125
Smiths Falls police 142.305
Gananoque police 142.635

As for fleetnet you will require a Digital Trunking Scanner the can monitor P25 traffic For OPP, other uses on fleetnet such has MOH, and MTO use analog currently (possibly subject to change). The closest tower to Perth being the Drummond Fleetnet Tower. The Radio Provider for these is Bell Mobility Radio.

If u have an old scanner handy, u can monitor the VR02 repeater. 410.8625 mhz. The OPP perth detachment being right in town on Hwy 7, would give great opportunity to hearing the action in Lanark County as usually they always have one car parked in the sally port with their repeater on, you will here them as 3Nxx units. Sometimes they are patched in with Ottawa Traffic Units (OPP hwy 417) and leeds county units on the same talk group. As i remember driving through that town, the only other beat repeater close to your area, would be further up hwy 7, in Carleton Place which has an average radius range of 10 km.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.