opinions led flashlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannersnstuff

does anyone here have the luxpro lp630c 290 lumen 4 aaa flashlight ?. if so what are your opinions ?.

i have the luxpro lp500, and i am extremely pleased with it.

anyway, since my heart's not set on this light, does anyone have any other suggestion's on a similar led light in this price range ?. $30.00 or less.

Last edited by a moderator:

bharvey2

I'm not too familiar with the Luxpro flashlights. I've been using the Coast PX25 for a few years and have had other Coast flashlights for EDC before that. Never been disappointed. The PX25 runs a little higher that your $30 limit but I suspect you could find it at your price if/when it goes on sale. I tend to stick to the ones that use AAA batteries as they're usually cheap and plentiful.

PACNWDude

Other than Rayovac models that come from big box stores, all of my LED flashlights use CR123 batteries. So can't help much.

I do like how many AA powered LED lights are becoming brighter and more popular though. May have to check out the Luxpro line.

DJ11DLN

Its only a 2 AAA light but I really like the Streamlight Stylus Pro. Think I've got about 10 of 'em that I keep in vehicles, toolboxes, various drawers and other places where I find them handy. Quite bright, very rugged, and Midway sometimes has them on sale as low as $15. They come with a holster that I never use and a set of Energizer batteries. Only a little larger and heavier than a pen, a very nice pocket clip light that has not failed me so far. Very good battery life.:D

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'll second the Streamlight brand. I bought an expensive SureFire many years ago. Nice light, but I had it in my checked baggage along with my Gerber tool and the TSA was kind enough to steal it from my bag. When I went to purchase a replacement, I couldn't bring myself to spending that much money on a flashlight again, especially for something I'd lose, break or get stolen again.
I replaced it with a AA Streamlight LED. Really good light and it only cost me about $25.00. Nice part is that it takes cheap and easily found batteries. (Unlike the SureFire). If I lose it, I'm only out $25.00. I also work on a lot of high current DC power systems at work, so having a non conductive flashlight is necessary. Also, the plastic ones are more pleasant to hold in your teeth when you need both hands free. Other upside is that I purchased one with the power switch on the back. Easy to pull out and turn on with one hand (no twisting the front to turn on).

As my older Mag-Light and Kel-Lite wear out, I'm replacing them with LED Streamlights.
Here ya' go, < $22 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012S62JC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
A VFD guy turned me onto Foursevens and I have line of theirs that I really love.

My other favorite is TerraLux.

I started LED lights with Surefire (mainly because I had one of the halogens and liked it).

Weapon mount…Stream Light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbm

I have around 50 or more flashlights plus a lot more that I've given to family members and friends.
That's another one of my hobbies.

If you get a flashlight that uses one or two RCR123 or one 18650 lithium batteries and a Nitecore D2 $14 charger, you'll be good for years. The four battery version is the D4 and sells for around $25 new.
They'll charge everything you throw at them. I've given a lot of them as gifts also. ;)

My EDC flashlight right now is a Niteye MSC-10. It does everything I need. But they're hard to find and expensive now.

I bought three of them when Battery Junction had them on sale for around $29 each.
Batteries, Chargers, LED Flashlights, and More!

Battery Junction has been one of my 'go-to' dealers for years and, often, when they have a sale, their prices are hard to beat.

Also, the Solarforce L2 series all over eBay are decent Surefire knock-offs. They go for around $32 or so.
And, there's the UltraFire WF-502* types for around $12.

Rich

And, for really cheap, but decent lights there are these kits. Light, batteries, and charger for $15:
http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire®-WF...rafire+flashlight&refinements=p_72:2661618011

And these: (all of my grand kids have similar ones from Ultrafire in various colors and with 14500 lithium batteries. Same dimensions as 'AA')
UltraFire 7w 300lm Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp - Basic Handheld Flashlights - Amazon.com

Last edited:

scannersnstuff

thank you all for the input on my post. i've been to lowes, and called their hardware manager. i would rather deal with lowes than the home depot. their employees just always seem nicer. so anyway,i'm hoping the lp630c goes on sale for black friday. if it does,i'm getting one for my best friend,and one for me. incidentally, over the weekend , i ran a test on my lp500. using the aaa batteries that have been in there for about a year, i ran the light continuously from 10 am yesterday,until 8 am today. when i finally gave up, i still had plenty of usable light.

scannersnstuff

so i went to lowes, and got another lp500c. they are discounted from $19.99 to $17.99. i got the lp630c, to test. they said that if the light goes on sale for black friday, they will give me the difference. more info. after i test it out.

scannersnstuff

Gerber flashlights.

my flashlight story get's even better. a few year's ago, i purchased the Gerber tx 3.0 tactical flashlight. i was very happy with it. the batteries leaked. with my renewed interest in flashlight's, i called Gerber. i told them what happened. i was inquiring about repair service. the rep. told me to send it to them. since that light is no longer manufactured, they will replace it with a msrp $120.00 Cortex tac.light. i shipped it off yesterday. i call this really going above and beyond, to back their product. i am very impressed. will review the light as soon as i get it.

bharvey2

. I also work on a lot of high current DC power systems at work, so having a non conductive flashlight is necessary.

My proximity to live electrical circuits is what changed my habit of wearing my weeding ring or other conductive items (like watches) Only cheap, easily breakable, plastic ones now. It's amazing how many guys I still see wearing them when they work. I remember when I was in high school I had a TV repair class. It was standard practice to keep one hand in your pocket while doing live testing. Nothing like a good "ZAP" form a high voltage transformer to reinforce training.

Back to the flashlights, I think Streamlight and some of the other brands even make bite block attachments for the lights.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
. I also work on a lot of high current DC power systems at work, so having a non conductive flashlight is necessary.

My proximity to live electrical circuits is what changed my habit of wearing my weeding ring or other conductive items (like watches) Only cheap, easily breakable, plastic ones now. It's amazing how many guys I still see wearing them when they work. I remember when I was in high school I had a TV repair class. It was standard practice to keep one hand in your pocket while doing live testing. Nothing like a good "ZAP" form a high voltage transformer to reinforce training.

Back to the flashlights, I think Streamlight and some of the other brands even make bite block attachments for the lights.

About 50 years ago my grandfather had a hole in his glove when he touched a HV line. Needless to say, he loves the silicone wedding ring I wear 99% of the time (I only put my actual wedding ring on for date night and special occasions).

Stream light or Surefire (don't remember which) used to make a rubberized LED light.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Yeah, plus $1500 insulated tool set, class 00 insulated gloves, etc.

Aluminum flashlights are nice, but just too dangerous for some of the stuff I do. I'm pretty impressed with these LED lights. The fact I can get one for $20 bucks is even better.

DJ11DLN

Yeah, plus $1500 insulated tool set, class 00 insulated gloves, etc.

Aluminum flashlights are nice, but just too dangerous for some of the stuff I do. I'm pretty impressed with these LED lights. The fact I can get one for $20 bucks is even better.

+1, should have qualified my earlier post...I do a lot of stuff with those Streamlights, but poking around in the breaker box etc isn't included. My only other gripe with them is that they need to come in some day-glo colors...matte black aluminum is attractive but a flashlight you need a flashlight to find...well, that's just dumb. Fortunately a little masking tape and a few spritzes from a rattle can will fix that.

I've got a drawer full of the old incandescent-bulb Mag Lites from the '80s and '90s that I really ought to take to a yard sale. Most still work, most could have LED replacement bulbs installed...but they're just too big and heavy when one of these little lights will do the job just as well. I'm not in a situation anymore where I need to carry a billy club disguised as a flashlight. I'm also sure some of the higher-end lights discussed here are really great too, probably far better than my Streamlights, but I'm a tightwad, so long as I can make one for under $20 do the job, that's what I'll use. I also prefer lights that use regular batteries, rather than expensive rechargeables and a cradle with associated stuff to get lost or out of order. HFT sells cheap no-name alkaline batteries in bulk and they seem to last about as well as Energizer/Duracell etc. Personal preference, I am not in any way knocking rechargeable lights or those who use them.:wink:

scannersnstuff

i totally agree with the safety precaution's of not using metal light's around electricity. i also have a streamlight scorpion rubber grip light. with that being said, i'm not mechanically inclined. the most dangerous thing i do is get out of bed in the morning.

scannersnstuff

dealt with Dorcy, the flashlight people. got a replacement battery holder for a led light. for black friday, they knocked the price down from $3 to $1.95. included free usps shipping with a tracking number. to boot, they sent me a free battery glow stick. was very impressed.

scannersnstuff

just an update. i ended up with 4 luxpro lp630c flashlight's. i gave 2 to my best friend's, and kept one. my one friend liked his so much, he said "i'm probably going to get another one" . so i went back to lowes, and got him another one. they had been discounted from $29.99 to $12.99. lowes seems to do this for black friday. so, imho, for $12.99, this is a super flashlight. it pack's 290 lumens. it goes from a spot to a flood, with a push/pull head. then i got a super cheap defiant <brinkman> 850 lumen 3 c cell light at homedepot. this was $9.88 . i then saw homedepot has the coast hp7 360 lumen led light for $24.99. i could not resist. so, with my previous flashlight's, what i got this round, and my gerber cortex coming, i should be pretty led light ready. i'll probably do a review of each,in the future. thank's to everyone for their guidance.

falcon21

I have a streamlight polytac mounted on my fire helmet. It cost a little bit more but I know I can count on it to work when I need it. It has three modes, high, low and strobe. It is also programmable to turn on with a certain mode or to remove a mode you don't need.

scannersnstuff

falcon21. i saw the specs on that light, and they look pretty good. not really knocking streamlight, although i see they have been knocked recently. year's ago, i bought the scorpion and the sl-20. never real happy with the scorpion. it produces 78 lumens. the switch is tricky to press and hold in. the beam just look's yellowish/anemic to me. the sl-20 only produces about 140 lumens. for a giant light,with a giant battery, this is pretty lame. most all of the cop's i know,now carry the stinger or the polystinger. leo's are really not supposed to use their flashlight's as baton's anyway. hence,the asp. i do realize though, that technology has advanced to the point of having huge lumen output's in small lights. i do realize you are not going to get full lumen output for very long, if the the light is not regulated. i am by no mwan's a flashlight expert. just a flashaholic,willing to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.