Cell phones and GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golay

During vacation, was up in the hills and hollars of KY and Tn. Phone is an Android LG. Once I lost cell signal, I lost GPS.

Just wondering if anyone knows why my phone needed signal to navigate me? Obviously I'm able to get the satellite signal. Is the cell network what "draws the map?". I know I can download an off-line map, but getting where we was wasn't anticipated.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Obviously I'm able to get the satellite signal. Is the cell network what "draws the map?". I know I can download an off-line map, but getting where we was wasn't anticipated.

That's likely the issue.

Not sure about your phone, but that's the way my iPhone works.
I was on a flight from Dallas to home here in California last week. iPhone in airplane mode. I was able to use one of my GPS apps on the plane. It complained about not having access to the maps, but I could ignore that warning and was able to see roughly where I was, at 39,000 feet and running about 600MPH.
If I'd downloaded the topographical quadrangle maps on the other app, I would have had a useable map.

I think some of the cell phone companies/app manufacturers don't always think through their applications very well. People who live in big urban areas are often under the impression that network access is ubiquitous.

bharvey2

During vacation, was up in the hills and hollars of KY and Tn. Phone is an Android LG. Once I lost cell signal, I lost GPS.

Just wondering if anyone knows why my phone needed signal to navigate me? Obviously I'm able to get the satellite signal. Is the cell network what "draws the map?". I know I can download an off-line map, but getting where we was wasn't anticipated.

I think you're correct. The phones need network access to retrieve updated maps. I've noticed the same thing with Google maps (which I usually prefer for navigation) but when I find myself outside of cell phone service, the map goes blank and offers no information detail. I've never tried downloading the offline maps. That may be the cure.

prcguy

Yup, GPS can be active but if you don't have cell service to update maps its useless.
prcguy

I think you're correct. The phones need network access to retrieve updated maps. I've noticed the same thing with Google maps (which I usually prefer for navigation) but when I find myself outside of cell phone service, the map goes blank and offers no information detail. I've never tried downloading the offline maps. That may be the cure.

Golay

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I suppose it would take more than a bit of memory to hold a map of the entire country, like a Tom Tom or Garmin can.

evfd1625

Here maps for Android and iOS can download offline versions for the entire Earth for free. It's the same company used in Garmin maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.