Traveling to Portugal

Status
Not open for further replies.

shteb13

I have been searching for scanning regulations in Portugal and have become confused. I dont want to risk bringing my 436 and having it confiscated. Does anyone have any reliable info in this regard, or can direct me to a site that clarifies this. Also is there anything to listen to (ie not encrypted)? I have a cheapie that I can bring for air monitoring and can afford to lose worst case scenario. I will be mainly in the north Porto and up. Any help us appreciated.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

CqDx

Do you understand Portuguese? If not it makes little sense to bring a radio when you don't understand the language.

Portugal is largely TETRA, so your scanner will be of little use. You may want to look into sq5bpf bootable TETRA monitor using RTL-SDR stick. It is very portable and you won't cause any suspicion.

That of course, is if the TETRA network is unencrypted.

BC_Scan

While I don't know the reg's for Portugal < I know when I was in Spain with a 396T I had no issues, started in Venice all throughout Italy , than heard French Navy doing live fire drills on marine band in French, cruise ship kept a wide berth) , my personal policy in advance of trip if I'm visiting a Democratic country with no civil unrest I bring a radio I could do with out should there become an issue, I found an Italian forum and communicated with them to find out if any issue bringing scanner to Italy they said no.
If you can't find info send a e-mail to the government politely inquiring. You know the language put it in that format. Try to find out what the rules are around amateur use, that might put you in the right direction.Good luck

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have been searching for scanning regulations in Portugal and have become confused.
Hi
I am from Austria who is in Europe. So the European Law are in the the most country very similar.
(Ok UK is different in many ways...)

Scanning is in the most Country total illegal! Listen to anything else than PMR446, Amateur Radio and CB could be a very hight fine and your Hardware get confiscated.
When you Tune into Gov Channels like Police it could end with an extreme hight fine and as an non European you can spend a long time in a remand prison before you see the judge.
If you have any Mil Freq in your System you could get charged for Spying.

Even talking about scanning arround isnt a good idea. Thats why I am here talk about that an not in an German speaking Forum.

I can bring for air monitoring
You can if you have no Airband Voice Certificate (or how does it called in English) your Hardware can be confiscated to.

So away from the legal stuff. When I travell around in Europe I carry my SDR Stuff like Dongle, Antenna,.. in my Luggage. NOBODY care about! Even for any Radio I use.
If you are not a Radio Amateur with a licence make sure you use Radios who look like PMR446.
What important is:
0,5W....
non removable Antenna (!)

In some country the Analog goes up to the digital channel (446.100 - .200).

shteb13

How was your trip? any problem with authorities there for scanning?
I actually had no issues at the airport... Customs looked at the radio and said nothing... No complaints there [emoji106]

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.