Make of Secret Service Radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Just read the Pop Comm article about scanning in DC. Which got me wondering...

What brand radio does the Secret Service use for encrypted comms? Do they use Motorola gear? If so, do they use Motorola's off-the-shelf encryption? If not off-the-shelf encryption, are they using technology by Motorola that isn't available to non-government customers?

Maybe more generally - which manufacturers target the Secret Service as their customers?

diskmonger

On the Air Force One special on Discovery a month or so back there was a really good shot of a secret service agent putting his coat on aboard the aircraft and it was definatley a Motorola XTS5000 on his belt.

The Presidential Protection Division uses the regular P25 Digital Encryption. Guessing or figuring out the encryption key is not something that can be done.

CqDx

For the record, AES-256 is the new standard that is approved by the Federal government for encryption. Forget about listening to encrypted communications, because
1.) It's illegal
2.) refer to reason #1

N

N_Jay

Motorola top of the line (XTS-5000) as well as Thales P25 equipment is very popular. The Thales radio is very thin, so tech "suits" like it.
Most is conventional P25. I would guess most is AES, but the Feds also have access to "Type 1" encryption.

Hooligan

For the record, AES-256 is the new standard that is approved by the Federal government for encryption. Forget about listening to encrypted communications, because
1.) It's illegal
2.) refer to reason #1

Oh darn! You mean I shouldn't use this AES decrypter thing I bought from Groove Enterprises?

Listening to encrypted communications is legal here in the USA.

Monitoring illegally decrypted communications is not.

CqDx

Oh darn! You mean I shouldn't use this AES decrypter thing I bought from Groove Enterprises?

Listening to encrypted communications is legal here in the USA.

Monitoring illegally decrypted communications is not.

I stand corrected :)

I have seen the AF1 special as well and got a quick glimpse of the XTS5000 in use. I remember there was another AF1 special made several years ago and saw a Saber III VHF. Probably back in the days when they run DES/DVP

code3cowboy

I stand corrected :)

I have seen the AF1 special as well and got a quick glimpse of the XTS5000 in use. I remember there was another AF1 special made several years ago and saw a Saber III VHF. Probably back in the days when they run DES/DVP

Look around on fleabay and you will see the old systems sabers floating around. Systems Saber 3 with a chip mostly and the standard WHCA engraving on the face.

immelmen

FWIW, Astro Spectra W9's are in the Uniform Division cars in the DC area with XTS5000's for portables.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
A friend bought a VHF Astro Saber III that had the WHCA engraving on it. It came with a dual algorithm DES-XL/OFB module, without multikey. They even left the key in the radio as well, but we took care of that pretty quickly...

KE7JFF

A friend bought a VHF Astro Saber III that had the WHCA engraving on it. It came with a dual algorithm DES-XL/OFB module, without multikey. They even left the key in the radio as well, but we took care of that pretty quickly...

They probably put in a fake key; I've known a few people who picked up EF Johnson radios that were ex-FBI and they had a random key in them and had all channels filled in as 166.67 mhz.

I remember going to see Al Gore give a speech back in 1998 and I saw the agents have radios from EF Johnson AND Motorola. I think they have a pool of both differing on their needs for the protection detail.

a12cia

Just read the Pop Comm article about scanning in DC. Which got me wondering...

What brand radio does the Secret Service use for encrypted comms? Do they use Motorola gear? If so, do they use Motorola's off-the-shelf encryption? If not off-the-shelf encryption, are they using technology by Motorola that isn't available to non-government customers?

Maybe more generally - which manufacturers target the Secret Service as their customers?

They have Motorola with an encryption device attached to each portable.

Hooligan

So the the ht's are Motorola do they also make the body radios that they use?

Motorola did make them, but I dunno if they or anyone else still does. They weren't very durable or well-liked, and were very expensive back in the day due to engineering/production costs vs. sales volume. I'll see if I can dig up some old (early 1990s) tech specs I have on them so then you can do a Google search on the model #s.

XTS3000

SS in the 90's used Astro Sabers, then upgraded to XTS3000, now most are using XTS5000's with AES. Many SS agents prefered the Astro Sabers due to the thin profile.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
XTS5000 portables all year long with the McCain campaing detail and when Palin was thrown in. I will be on WH duty later this month but doubt it is anything different.

I was hoping to talk to the SS radio techs as they started to removed the repeater and related equipment down in Crawford this past week or so, but my work kept me pretty busy. I live not far from where George W. will be in Dallas so will be interesting to see if anything I can hear from there...

Status
Not open for further replies.