FREE VHF & UHF G BAND SEARCH FILES for GRE PSR-600/500 & PRO197/106

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOFA_KING

FREE VHF & UHF G BAND SEARCH FILES for GRE PSR-600/500 & PRO197/106

This is a Win 500 file. The VHF file has been uploaded here as a "txt" file (UHF still in the works). Once you download it, change the file extension to "p500". PM me if that doesn't work and I'll e-mail it to you.

EDIT: ZIP version on second post.

Now that I have tried just about everything with my GRE PRO197, I am very impressed with the feature set and sound quality of this scanner. I am big into searching the "G Bands". I love to bag new frequencies and tag them for my master list, which is very populated! I have been doing this for nearly 35 years, but things are changing in "G Band" land, and it is time to jump on major system changes as agencies upgrade their systems and move to P25 digital. The tools are here thanks to GRE and there is no better time to start searching then when new systems are in buildout and testing phase. Let the games begin!

I tried the standard band limit search methods and found a nice surprise when the new GRE was able to check any mode or decode any CTCSS, DCS, or NAC code in a flash. VERY NICE! And the code displayed for the whole time the scanner was on scan hold after the transmission ended. SUPER! Only one drawback to this search method...carrier squelch mode (CSQ). At times that is just fine, like when you are in a rural area with no noise generating sources around, but if you are in town (or worse yet a city) you get hung up on noise. Yes you could "lockout" the noisy freqs, but what if they are freqs of interest? You pass them by...not good!

Years ago I came up with a better search method that I called "fill the blanks". I would create scanner programming to scan every possible G Band channel and just keep locking them out as I identified hits. I would then update my "all channel" database which included the old designation tables found in the back of Police Call to aid in identification. (the name of my database is UXX for this reason) Eventually I was looking at a database loaded with valid info and some unknowns or non-important stuff. If I only scanned the "empties", then I would maximize my chances of getting rare simplex channels...and many I got! As the scan list got smaller and smaller, the speed increased and my odds improved. The method works!

So I created some V Folder Files for my new GRE PRO197 to do "all channel" G Band VHF and UHF searching with the mode set to P25 NAC SEARCH since that is what I'm interested in discovering these days. I can still do limit searching for CTCSS/DCS stuff (most of which I have a complete list of anyway), but I now want only legitimate hits showing up on my search logs, and not noise or worse yet an all day hangups. I set some scanner options to work well at alerting and giving you time to press hold or write things down. I also set the log options in Win500. Here is a list of features programmed:

- Files start with a clean slate...wide open for first time use
- One file for VHF and one file for UHF (had to...not enough memory to do both at the same time)
- All possible frequencies programmed for scan searching (you won't miss a thing!)
- No false hits as the scanner will only stop on a legit P25 signal
- Mode set to search and display NAC codes
- Short alert chirp set to get your attention on a hit
- Scan delay set to 10 seconds to give you some time to pause or write down information
- Each 1 MHz section of the band is put in its own scan list to allow concentrated searching in certain areas
- Total VHF band search takes at least 26 seconds to complete a cycle. (aprox 2 seconds per 1 MHz section)
- 12 scan lists for VHF band leaving 8 open lists (plus favorite and SW lists) to move identified channels to
- Known non-G freqs locked out to increase search speed (can be re-enabled if desired)
- Alpha tags programmed to show progress of band scanning

It took me a long time to type all of the channels out! I had to do it, but now you don't have to!

If the file(s) do not translate, PM me for the files with your e-mail address and I'll send them to you. I have only completed VHF so far. I'm working on the UHF version now. If you know of a good host site, hook me up!

Enjoy! :D

Phil :cool:

[Mod Edit: download files here: http://forums.radioreference.com/fe...-gre-psr-600-500-pro197-106-a.html#post987526 ]

Last edited by a moderator:

SOFA_KING

Zip Version Of Vhf File

VHF FILE NOW IN "zip" FORMAT...Hope this works!

Squad10

<<<<It took me a long time to type all of the channels out! I had to do it, but now you don't have to!>>>>

Wow!!! You typed in each 12.5 KHz frequency!!! That's dedication.

I used the Easy Fill feature in the Butel GRE/RS Object Programmer software for both VHF HI and UHF. It took about a second to generate the full band for both, error free.

SOFA_KING

<<<<It took me a long time to type all of the channels out! I had to do it, but now you don't have to!>>>>

Wow!!! You typed in each 12.5 KHz frequency!!! That's dedication.

I used the Easy Fill feature in the Butel GRE/RS Object Programmer software for both VHF HI and UHF. It took about a second to generate the full band for both, error free.

Well I do not have that program. There might be a way to do it easy, but Win500 in new to me. I just wanted to get it done. I did copy and paste alot, but I had to go back and edit one or two digits down the list.
I should have the UHF done tonight. :)

Is anyone using the file? I see many have downloaded it, If so, what do you think? :confused:

Squad10

If you want to, provide an e-mail address and I will send you a p500 file that has 406 to 420 already done in 12.5 KHz steps.

SOFA_KING

If you want to, provide an e-mail address and I will send you a p500 file that has 406 to 420 already done in 12.5 KHz steps.

Thanks, Squad10. I am almost done. ;)

I added counter hits to the last file. Anyone using the file may want to go into global and turn that on.

SOFA_KING

Uhf File Now Complete

Thanks for the hard work, the file works just fine with my Pro-197.

Cool! Rock on!

I'm glad people are making good use of these. I tested my VHF file with WIN500 logging and it worked great! Now I can leave the scanner at home connected to the computer and come home to get a full report. Once I get that info I can further focus on who is using what. I do not think there is any chance of false info with this setup. First the scanner has to validate that it is really a P25 signal, and then it has to validate a proper NAC. Even if it did get a false NAC, the subsequent hits should show the actual real NAC. I doubt it will false at all...even in a hostile RF environment.

I am contemplating a combined VHF and UHF program. I would have to drop the 12.5 KHz UHF step size down to 25 KHz in order to make it fit. Does anyone have any thoughts on that idea? :confused: Is there substantial activity on the UHF G Band splinter channels (i.e. 406.0125)? Most of what I hear is standard 25 KHz (i.e. 406.0250). The splinter freqs I do hear are part of a trunked system. If I did combine them that would be 19 lists to search and one list open (20) to move knowns (or unknowns) to. Thoughts???

Here is the ZIP file version of the UHF search file. If anyone needs it in a TXT file extension conversion like I did on the VHF file, let me know and I will post it in that changed file extension version as well.

Enjoy!

SOFA_KING

Combined VHF &amp; UHF P25 G Band Search File

I feel like I'm talking to myself here, guys. Give me some feedback!

Here is the combined VHF & UHF file. This is what I use here as I do not hear UHF splinter channels except for trunking. Works for me. This one file does it all, and each area of the band(s) can be either skipped or set to focus on a particular area by turning off/on the list for that section of the band(s). Cool stuff!

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
First. Thanks for making these files public. It works very good on road trips where you don't have to mess with the scanners when it hangs up on RF noise stuff.

In your VHF files.
Object 160 or 161 area needs fixing. You have 163.1500 listed and it should be 164.1500 in your 164.### list. ;)

Other stuff to make your files better(I think):
Turn On/Check "Show CC info on TGRP Display" (Win500 software).
(Always nice to know when you find a control channel in the fed band on a trip.)

Lower the "Digital Detect timeout"(Win500Software) to something like 48.
On the PSR500 They call it "DG Int Prime" in the PGM>FUNC>GLOB area.

I think it helps when the P25 repeater sends out the pulses/burps every few minutes. and these type of scanners can pick up the NAC tones better.

drivinflyin

Awesome files Phil and great suggestions Mtbiker.

Can't wait to load 'em into the vscanners and use them on the road.

SOFA_KING

First. Thanks for making these files public. It works very good on road trips where you don't have to mess with the scanners when it hangs up on RF noise stuff.

In your VHF files.
Object 160 or 161 area needs fixing. You have 163.1500 listed and it should be 164.1500 in your 164.### list. ;)

Other stuff to make your files better(I think):
Turn On/Check "Show CC info on TGRP Display" (Win500 software).
(Always nice to know when you find a control channel in the fed band on a trip.)

Lower the "Digital Detect timeout"(Win500Software) to something like 48.
On the PSR500 They call it "DG Int Prime" in the PGM>FUNC>GLOB area.

I think it helps when the P25 repeater sends out the pulses/burps every few minutes. and these type of scanners can pick up the NAC tones better.

BikerDude,

Oops! :D Good catch! As much as I checked for that, I missed it. Thanks!

I will also make the other changes you suggested. Sounds good. Those USSS P25 freqs belch every once and a while. Anything to grab a NAC better sounds good to me.

I also got some feedback on PM about adding spectrum sweaper search for both V&U G bands. I like that idea!

I will make the edits and re-post the new files.

drivinflyin,

Cool! Use them in "good health". :D

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm adding this thread as a link to the Object Oriented Radios operating tips article in the wiki. I hope this file and thread doesn't roll off, because it's obvious from the number of looks that it's a useful tool to a lot of folks. Are you going to put these files in a Yahoo group or similar?

73 Mike

SOFA_KING

I'm adding this thread as a link to the Object Oriented Radios operating tips article in the wiki. I hope this file and thread doesn't roll off, because it's obvious from the number of looks that it's a useful tool to a lot of folks. Are you going to put these files in a Yahoo group or similar?

73 Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry for jumpin on ya about the DC freqs.

Sound like a great idea! I'm adding the recomended fixes and new features as I speak, so updated files will be posted tonight after some testing to make sure everything is good to go. A link to the Wiki would be great. I am not on any other forum or Yahoo group. Just here.

Question for the advanced guys...Can you set the frequency limits on a Sweep Search? I see no way to do it, and Win500 will not let me add a sweep search to a scan list, but the scanner does...so I have to program the scanner, make the change, and bounce it back to the file and save it. Complex stuff! I set the SRCH tunes in SCAN to the max of 9999. I'm still testing this new feature.

:cool:

SOFA_KING

Corrected and Updated Files Completed

I tried the Spectrum Sweeper feature and did not like it for gov searching. I tried several times to see if it even searched gov freqs. I do not think it looks there. Hangs up on ham repeaters though. Without a way to set the frequency table in it, I have little use for it. Too bad we could not put our own ranges in the sweeper. It rips fast and locks on the strongest signals, but not in the G bands. :(

So I took MtnBiker's suggestions, and made the correction on 164.1500. The files have been cleaned up and are ready. The date on the new ones is 011809. Discard the older files and use these.

brandon

Database Admin
SOFA_KING: Thanks for all your work on these files. They are sure to come in handy for finding new activity here in SoCal.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Phil when you get things settled down, an article about this in the wiki would be welcome. That way if this thread does eventually roll off, the references will not get lost. You might want to consider putting the files somewhere, because if this thread goes away, so do the files.

If you aren't comfortable with the wiki markup language, send me something in Word and I will convert it. My email is ka3jjz@netscape.com

73 Mike

SOFA_KING

Phil when you get things settled down, an article about this in the wiki would be welcome. That way if this thread does eventually roll off, the references will not get lost. You might want to consider putting the files somewhere, because if this thread goes away, so do the files.

If you aren't comfortable with the wiki markup language, send me something in Word and I will convert it. My email is ka3jjz@netscape.com

73 Mike

Mike,

Thanks. I'll look into it and see what I can contribute. I used to have an FTP site, but it is gone. I'll see what I can find.

Phil

PS - Your welcome, guys.

Wayne

Premium Subscriber
Will these files work with PSR edit software or just Win 500?

Status
Not open for further replies.