166.8250 PL167.9 Eastern PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

The last few nights I have been picking up 166.8250 PL167.9 Base Side Only.

Normally they call it "Central" the dispatcher was calling back vehicle information and most were coming back to a car rental company out of Georgia.

I will listen more for call numbers, mostly evening and nights activity.

Live in the Lehigh Valley, Pa. area about 50 miles Northwest of Philly...

Thanks
Steve

ecps92

Here in New England, "Central" is the Call Sign for the Field Office HQ where the Resident Agent HQ would be a 3 digit #, and then the Field Agents have a variety of call signs. All of these would be the FBI

The last few nights I have been picking up 166.8250 PL167.9 Base Side Only.

Normally they call it "Central" the dispatcher was calling back vehicle information and most were coming back to a car rental company out of Georgia.

I will listen more for call numbers, mostly evening and nights activity.

Live in the Lehigh Valley, Pa. area about 50 miles Northwest of Philly...

Thanks
Steve

Gilligan

Database Admin
Steve, plug that freq in to two channels w/ no delay on either. For the first, use the 167.9 PL tone. For the second, don't use a tone. You'll probably find that, if this is a repeater output, you'll hear the cars talking back encrypted. It would probably sound like white noise. I wouldn't listen to the encryption for long, as it's annoying, but it is good just to know that's what's going on. There's also the possibility that it's a repeater input. With it being in that range (166 MHz), it's just as likely. Glad to see you've discovered an FBI repeater up there.

You might also try searching the band when the frequency becomes active. That way you may find other repeaters that are keyed by the same input, or maybe this is an input to a repeater, or you may find some kind of link. Just leave one scanner on that frequency and use the other to search 162.6 to 174 MHz.

Ecps92, this information about unit numbers, etc is very helpful. It can certainly help me decipher the FBI system in Oklahoma. Do you know of another thread or resource that discusses FBI callsigns in other areas?

Last edited:

ecps92

Here is an excellent file from the Ohio Scanner Club
that will help http://www.textfiles.com/hamradio/aosc_fbi.txt

Steve, plug that freq in to two channels w/ no delay on either. For the first, use the 167.9 PL tone. For the second, don't use a tone. You'll probably find that, if this is a repeater output, you'll hear the cars talking back encrypted. It would probably sound like white noise. I wouldn't listen to the encryption for long, as it's annoying, but it is good just to know that's what's going on. There's also the possibility that it's a repeater input. With it being in that range (166 MHz), it's just as likely. Glad to see you've discovered an FBI repeater up there.

You might also try searching the band when the frequency becomes active. That way you may find other repeaters that are keyed by the same input, or maybe this is an input to a repeater, or you may find some kind of link. Just leave one scanner on that frequency and use the other to search 162.6 to 174 MHz.

Ecps92, this information about unit numbers, etc is very helpful. It can certainly help me decipher the FBI system in Oklahoma. Do you know of another thread or resource that discusses FBI callsigns in other areas?

Steveradio

We had two FBI repeaters in the area up to a few months ago. The Allentown frequencies were 167.4875 and 167.1750 with PL167.9 but since they had repeater problems and it was fixed the radio traffic has been gone. Maybe 166.8250 is a new frequency being used?

I guess the local field office would be Philadelphia, We have a federal building in Allentown on Hamilton Street but unknown who works out of it except for federal judges.

Thought maybe I was picking up skip as well, my range varies depending on the weather.

I will search around for a output frequency, thanks
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.