USPS freqencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

Does anyone know the frequencies for The United States Postal Service that are used nationwide.I have not heard anyting in the Indianapoils area for USPS.If anyone can post frequencies that would be great as I will put them in my Uniden 996T and see what I can hear in my area.Thanks for your help.Best Requards, Tim DeLong W9NES Indianapolis,Indiana

SOFA_KING

That looks like old analog (almost obsolete by now) info on that thread.

There is a thread on this topic already.

But, so far the new pattern being reported for the USPS PI looks like a two frequency WIDE AREA repeater rotation of 407.7250 and 407.7750. (both in the new UHF band plan and P25 narrow band)

If you read the NTIA document I posted on the IRS thread, you will see that they listed the amount of KHz these guys use on UHF. If you do the math, that comes out to 47 channels of spectrum. Some will be repeater inputs, and by the looks of it, many will be SIMPLEX DIRECT. In the past (on analog) these guys had at least 43 channels if not more. I used to hear them go to channel 43. My guess is that they are still loaded with many channels. The simplex UHF channels are hard to find, so searching is a must if you want to catalog these guys.

There is also mention in that document that they want to join the IWiN (more like "U-loose") VHF system. If they have that much spectrum in reserve on UHF, and they are keeping traffic down to two repeater pairs, that might explain why they are being so conservative on UHF right now. Why spend a pile of money on UHF equipment if you are eventually going to VHF? BUT that does not preclude them from exploiting that UHF spectrum for direct simplex use right now. ;)

Phil :cool:

commstar

Premium Subscriber
No tremendous insight on the subject matter, but I did not know these existed:

from

National Law Enforcement Control Centers
The Postal Inspection Service’s National Law Enforcement Control Centers (NLECCs) are located in Dulles, VA, and Ft. Worth, TX. The two facilities monitor the agency’s national law enforcement radio network and intrusion-detection systems at Postal Service facilities. They provide after-hours emergency phone coverage for all Postal Inspection Service offices and give Postal Inspectors access to law enforcement and intelligence information. Additional measures to enhance security for postal employees and facilities are in the planning stages.
Both NLECC facilities have identical functionality and can support the full load of the entire country should one center’s operations fail. In case of an electrical outage, the centers are protected by uninterruptible power supplies that provide at least one hour of backup power, plus a diesel generator that can accommodate an extended outage. The facilities meet the Underwriters Laboratory safety specifications for central station monitoring.
NLECC is proving to be especially useful in apprehending burglars. During FY 2006, four suspects were apprehended at the scene of the crime as a result of NLECC's state-of-the-art burglar alarm monitoring and dispatch.

more here on page 53.

SOFA_KING

National dispatch centers are becoming "the thing everyone is doing" anymore. The quality of the employees at some of these centers is questionable. Some sound like they were recently employed at "Burger King".

A little off topic, but this is a sign of the times I'm afraid. Race to the bottom! Qualified local people are loosing their jobs. Unqualified people are replacing them. "Lowest qualified candidates should be selected to fill a position". I have actually read that, but I can't disclose the source of that info. What they really mean is "lowest paid" because we are so smart at the top that we can MICRO MANAGE these dolts, but they will not say it that way. This is known as "Top Down Management".

Is it no wonder this country is going down the toilet? Is that what we aspire to be? "Lowest qualified"??? :confused:

What a sad day in US history! :(

commstar

Premium Subscriber
There are something like 1.8 million actual fed civil service employees, but 14 million people who actually do the work of the US Government.

For many fed jobs, there is no lack of applicants these days- so the lowest qualified individual may in fact be very suitable for the position. Folks with Masters degrees are applying for jobs that require only high school- just to get their foot in the Fed door. So in a room full of Doctorates lowest qualified might still be able to cure cancer.

If you are quoting a contractor and not a Fed employee then that's ok as long as they meet the terms of their contract.

The Fed is doing away with Time-in-Grade on March 9th so now experience from outside the Fed can be taken into account for hiring, promotion and the like should be an interesting change for the Federal service.

As for National Comm Centers and the Federal service, the one that comes to mind that, in the past, had a less than stellar reputation was the FPS Mega-Centers which at one point were staffed by private security personnel who replaced local FPS dispatchers. Here is a recent solicitation.

I do not know the current status of this and have not heard anything in some time.

On that note, those positions were likely done away with legally but replaced with a questionable personal service contract.

By law, The Federal Government must protect civil service and is not allowed to enter into any personal service contract (unless specifically allowed by statute-very rare) where the job is performed ANYWHERE else in Fed Civil Service, where the person will be working in the agency's core mission, or where budget limitations prevent hiring an FTE and can not supervise or formulate policy. So there are lots of potentially non-kosher personal service contracts out there I guess.

RayAir

Does anyone know the frequencies for The United States Postal Service that are used nationwide.I have not heard anyting in the Indianapoils area for USPS.If anyone can post frequencies that would be great as I will put them in my Uniden 996T and see what I can hear in my area.Thanks for your help.Best Requards, Tim DeLong W9NES Indianapolis,Indiana

In this neck of the woods the USPS mail trucks (big rigs) use 164.9625 (analog, CSQ).
Postal Inspector's are now on the state's P25 system-encrypted.

SOFA_KING

New One

I confirmed a new USPS PI freq out of Orlando, FL today.

406.3375 R NAC482

Check this in your local area! ;)

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Is all of the USPS stuff digital and encrypted these days? I am referring mainly to South Florida. Did they abandon the 414.750 and 415.050 frequencies that were in use before?

ecps92

USPS Postal Police / Inspectors have moved to P25

Operations / Distribution etc, seem to be Analog still.

Most of New England has abandoned the old channels

Is all of the USPS stuff digital and encrypted these days? I am referring mainly to South Florida. Did they abandon the 414.750 and 415.050 frequencies that were in use before?

SOFA_KING

Yes, Ken. Those old freqs look like they are 10-7 now. I put the S. FL freqs here on post #3. Inputs are 9 MHz higher (new UHF band standard). All P25 and all encrypted so far. NAC482. I keep searching for new freqs and especially simplex freqs. I may have gotten one on 412.2750, but that might have been an image. I could not confirm that. The transmission came in at the same time one of the main channels was active. The NAC matched, but being encrypted I could not tell. It was from a high rooftop site and the signals were strong. You have to account for overload.

SOFA_KING

Do you think they are using the same channel down South?

407.7250 in Dade and Broward, and 407.7750 north all the way to Brevard. So far that is all I have found around here. These are WIDE AREA (simulcast I bet) repeaters. The Orlando one I just got today. I have had it in the scan list for a while, but never heard anything until the band opened to the north.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
407.7250 in Dade and Broward, and 407.7750 north all the way to Brevard. So far that is all I have found around here. These are WIDE AREA (simulcast I bet) repeaters. The Orlando one I just got today. I have had it in the scan list for a while, but never heard anything until the band opened to the north.

Just added these to my '396XT, and shortly after confirmed encrypted traffic on 407.775 with a NAC of 482.

SOFA_KING

Just added these to my '396XT, and shortly after confirmed encrypted traffic on 407.775 with a NAC of 482.

There you go! Get ready for the hour long Sunday morning QSO. :D

On a side note...you better start doing some searching down there! I live up in St. Lucie and have been the only one digging out this Broward/Dade stuff. I need some help!

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad you guys had this conversation. For the life of me i haven't been able to ID it due to encryption. Here in Nashville 407.725 is active (full time encryption with the occasional slip up in the clear usually one side the back to ENC) and has a NAC of 482 as well. 408.1375 is analog here and is used by the USPS trucks. I have yet to try 407.775 so will plug that one in as well.

SOFA_KING

I'm glad you guys had this conversation. For the life of me i haven't been able to ID it due to encryption. Here in Nashville 407.725 is active (full time encryption with the occasional slip up in the clear usually one side the back to ENC) and has a NAC of 482 as well. 408.1375 is analog here and is used by the USPS trucks. I have yet to try 407.775 so will plug that one in as well.

Mystery solved! :D

I'm trying to understand this system. Two main freqs for everywhere? That is a bit slim, no? There are some odd ball channels here and there, but these two are used alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.