Poll: Best Nationwide Coverage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
I thought I would toss this out for discussion. Which agency has the best nationwide coverage on either VHF or UHF? I am going to vote for Immigration and Custom Enforcement nationwide analog system on 165.2375 "Net 1" "Charlie 100".

JASII

Memory Capacity
Best Nationwide Coverage?

I assume that you don't want to include NOAA Weather Radio. I would say FBI.

ecps92

I would go with Sector, but not due to Net-01, but the combined use of
Net-01, Net-02 and Net-25 [165.2375R, 169.4500R and 165.4875R]
as the 3 Primary [New England Repeaters]

2nd would be FPS with the MEGA Centers [417.2000 P25]

3rd would be the USPS 409.9375 P25 back to the TX Mega-Center

All based upon a Central Monitoring Point. if you go FBI, you are only talking about a Regional monitoring point

I thought I would toss this out for discussion. Which agency has the best nationwide coverage on either VHF or UHF? I am going to vote for Immigration and Custom Enforcement nationwide analog system on 165.2375 "Net 1" "Charlie 100".

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Federal: my vote goes to CBP/ICE. I would put the FBI at a close second and then USSS. A majority of the ICE repeaters are phone-line connected which I think adds to bumping them up a bit in vote for me. I've run across a lot of stand-alone FBI and USSS boxes. USSS seems to do it a lot.

Non-federal: The old AT&T and Sprint UHF telephone maintenance radio systems. All repeaters were connected to audio switches and then landline. You could dial up a repeater in any State via DTMF (similar to the way amateur radio does it). I had the privilege of using the former Sprint one.

commstar

Premium Subscriber
My vote goes to DHS/CBP-AMO, AMOC and the Blue channels. Covers all CONUS, HI, PR, GOM, & AK from a single center. Kinda impressive to me.

C100, ICE/FPS Mega-Contract Centers, and the FB1's cannot do that combined.

SOFA_KING

Federal: my vote goes to CBP/ICE. I would put the FBI at a close second and then USSS. A majority of the ICE repeaters are phone-line connected which I think adds to bumping them up a bit in vote for me. I've run across a lot of stand-alone FBI and USSS boxes. USSS seems to do it a lot.

Non-federal: The old AT&T and Sprint UHF telephone maintenance radio systems. All repeaters were connected to audio switches and then landline. You could dial up a repeater in any State via DTMF (similar to the way amateur radio does it). I had the privilege of using the former Sprint one.

The AT&T system was really nice. Too bad they let it go back in the 90's along with the microwave installation sites.

Sprint? They had a national dial a repeater system? Was it local landline or GMG (fiber)? Local had a small 900 trunked system in Okeechobee, FL. They no longer wanted to pay for it and let it go. GMG/CPE might still have some UHF Maxtracs but they do not use it much.

As for the national federal stuff, I vote for CBP. It looks like they have a national radio plan that allows them to go anywhere and use the NETs and TACs for that area. ICE has no national plan that I can see although they might be changing that now as some areas have new freqs showing up with the P25 conversion. Maybe they are just grabbing up more freqs locally. Time will tell, but that practice has been wasteful.

Phil :cool:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Sprint? They had a national dial a repeater system? Was it local landline or GMG (fiber)?
GMG aka Transmission Operations. Because of budget issues Sprint canceled a ton of their licenses and pulled the equipment. The manager in NorCal went up to bat and kept some on-air. A few years ago there were a lot of Kenwood 880s and TPL UHF amps that were ex-Sprint. I bought one of the 880s and found this out. Still had the old channel plan.

Back on topic.... the P25 Fed network in Southern CA has become a pretty sophisticated network of repeaters; much of them use voting receivers. A majority of the VHF spectrum is part of it now.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
My vote goes to DHS/CBP-AMO, AMOC and the Blue channels. Covers all CONUS, HI, PR, GOM, & AK from a single center. Kinda impressive to me.

C100, ICE/FPS Mega-Contract Centers, and the FB1's cannot do that combined.

Technically speaking, C-100 runs and maintains the HF system used by Air and Marine (as well as other users). The HF comms center is located in an adjacent room next to the VHF dispatch center in Orlando, FL. Radar and satcom tracking is done from California and they, of course, have complete access to the CBP radio system.

Status
Not open for further replies.