FED South Louisiana Capital City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium Subscriber
OK - I've read the stickies - done the research (Pro 106 - fyi & new to scanning)

downloaded from RR all the local FBI, DEA, ATF, USMS both conventional and LWIN (P 25) - hand entered from database any not showing up during download.

monitored for ~1 month even with stalk from 151 - 869 - nothing but a few noise hits - not even any encrypted.

Typical? Can one actually hear any Fed activity? This is the LA Capital City.

I noticed all RR frequency info was circa 2005...

Thanks for your input,

JP

W6KRU

I hear a lot of encrypted VHF here. There is a lot of Border Patrol activity but I get some hits on the other stuff as well.

MOTOROLANUT

Database

Last I looked the RR database is badly out of date, Better off reading the other fed forums, Phil has provived us great fed info in the past.(Thanks Phil!) The main thing with searching the feds is being patient. Just program two searchs in your scanner 162-174 and 403-433 and just kick back to see what happens.

ecps92

Yes, it's out of date, unfortunately. Trying to get folks into using the SEARCH is like going to the Dentist. :D

Keep plugg'n away. Also don't forget the forgot'n Government Bands
of 138-144 and 148-150.7, there is still use down there, altho mostly
Military, you will find FEMA and some others.

Recheck your Antenna's etc. I'm suprise you have not found the FPS/GSA or Postal Svc if you are near the Capital City...

Last I looked the RR database is badly out of date, Better off reading the other fed forums, Phil has provived us great fed info in the past.(Thanks Phil!) The main thing with searching the feds is being patient. Just program two searchs in your scanner 162-174 and 403-433 and just kick back to see what happens.

SOFA_KING

I well know that "dead on the Feds" feeling. :D If you are in a larger city area, and it is dead, you are most likely not tuned to the right channels, have the right PLs, or have the right mode (digital/analog). I can tell you this, during normal business hours my fed scanner is picking up a lot, and I live 60 - 120 miles north of the major activity. If I go to Ft. Lauderdale I am usually treated to more than one surveillance operation and a bunch of routine stuff. Activity is sometimes so busy that if you want to follow something you have to lock out some other federal stuff of lesser interest. Up in my rural area activity picks up from time to time when a "target" of interest is being stalked. A lot of this activity is mobile simplex, and often not on major repeater channels, so you had better know what frequencies to listen on or you will miss the activity, and that makes the difference. Once you have all of the right stuff programmed in, you will hear good stuff (when not encrypted).

And so we come around to where to listen...and how to know. I echo Bill's sentiments. Start searching! Unfortunately most of the fed systems are not on a national standard (some are). It does vary from region to region. I will give you an example...I logged a pile of stuff before I moved from NY to FL in '92. When I turned on my scanner in FL, I did not hear too much. I heard some, and some of the channels had different users. After searching and getting all of the S FL stuff into scan I heard a HUGE amount of fed traffic. I moved back to NY for a couple of years and the same happened...some traffic, but not much. I did another massive search effort and got a "mutaload" of traffic! And things changed (more stuff) from when I lived up there a few years before. Came back to FL and again some things had changed and I had to figure it out. Well now things are changing big time with the push to narrowband channels and digital, so I still search every day. Just when I think I have it all, something new comes in and I have to update all of my files (a lot of work). But I'm nearly fully loaded and can follow the vast majority of what is happening around me. Even then, I still search for treasures in those "unused" frequencies. You never know when something new will pop up.

So, yes, there is great stuff to hear and there should be a fair amount in most city areas, but YOU have to do the legwork and search it out. Those who follow this forum over a long period of time are following patterns that are being reported by others. This gives clues and ideas of where to look and what you might expect. That helps! But unless you have a search hound like me in your area that is willing to share his/her info, you have to do it yourself. I like searching out new stuff. It is challenging and fun. The rewards are great. This stuff is not your average local PD noise, but really juicy "to the point" criminal hunting. Watch ManHunters on A&E to see what you can actually hear, and you will hear even more than they show.

I also have to mention Chris P. and the Monitoring Times Fed Files as being a big help. Chris (who is here often) travels around the country searching everywhere he goes. He reports what he hears in his column and on his blog. This is a real help, so check ALL of his reports. They are everywhere around here! Start a database and start keeping records of suspect and confirmed reports. The more you put into it, the more you will get out of it. ;)

MT Fed Files

Phil :cool:

Premium Subscriber
thanks for everyone's input for a newbie -

A searching we will go, a searching we will go...

I'm 24mi line of sight from the major antenna in BR. Will it do any good to search with my 800mhz RS antenna or do I need something more substantial (external)? If so, I'll just search when I go to town till I get a lightening rod -

JP

SOFA_KING

thanks for everyone's input for a newbie -

A searching we will go, a searching we will go...

I'm 24mi line of sight from the major antenna in BR. Will it do any good to search with my 800mhz RS antenna or do I need something more substantial (external)? If so, I'll just search when I go to town till I get a lightening rod -

JP

No problem, and glad to help.

800 antenna? Like a handheld? :confused: Oh no...that will not work. :nono: You will need at least a 17 " whip on a ground plane or better like a discone. I use a discone and get alot. I want to try one of those NilJon Super M Ultra antennas, but they are expensive. :( Now is not a good time for me to drop any cash, but if you can swing it that might be a choice that makes a huge difference in reception.

Phil :cool:

Premium Subscriber
several responses -

yes, mobil (see above) pro 106 - that NilJon Super M all 24kt gold is nice...

I'm interested in FBI, DEA, BATFE (should be a convenience store) only. Have all LA Nat Guard on different scan list for hurricanes...

went to BR today, drove by the capital, searched the above 162-174Mhz & 406-420Mhz - got the opportunity to F/LO all the 162.*NOAA stuff, found 3 active, mostly encrypted - saved anyway in case they get lazy... 164 - 170MHZ one NAC, one DCS one search, hit only on 170.9375 NAC 653 someone using their radio cause their iphone was broke :]

ext ant are crazy expensive, considering it's $100 min for decent co-ax. Do I have to get them to the top of the house for line o' site or is 8' by house acceptable (less co-ax)?

(scanner newbie - EE experienced...)

Thanks again,

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.