Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

171.385 is very active in Indianapolis.It is not p-25 or encripted.Sounds like USPS main post office in downtown Indianpolis on South Street.

W9NES

ecps 92, thanks for the tip.I will check it out and see what I hear.A fellow Ham Operator reported the 171.385 Freq as being active.I will put both in the scanner and see what I hear.Best Requards,Tim DeLong W9NES

SOFA_KING

ecps 92, thanks for the tip.I will check it out and see what I hear.A fellow Ham Operator reported the 171.385 Freq as being active.I will put both in the scanner and see what I hear.Best Requards,Tim DeLong W9NES

Why would you put both in? There is such a small difference between the two that the RX will still work, but the correct freq is 171.3875 as the channel spacing is 12.5 kHz. The RX will be dead on that way.

Phil :cool:

ecps92

Depending on the age / make / model of the Scanner it might be rounding it off, which occured on many models for VHF Federal bands. Especially older scanners

Why would you put both in? There is such a small difference between the two that the RX will still work, but the correct freq is 171.3875 as the channel spacing is 12.5 kHz. The RX will be dead on that way.

SOFA_KING

Depending on the age / make / model of the Scanner it might be rounding it off, which occured on many models for VHF Federal bands. Especially older scanners

We all were rounding off with the old scanners, no? Those were the days. :lol:

But I see no point in putting each frequency in. If you have a choice, put the correct frequency in and forget the the other. That was my point to Tim. ;)

W9NES

I am hearing radio traffic here in Indianapolis on 171.3875 today Weds 5-20-09. I heard a analog transmission saying that they were available from the central resturant.All I heard was a mobile and no base.heard.I will listen and see if I hear more to find out who it is for shure.

SOFA_KING

I am hearing radio traffic here in Indianapolis on 171.3875 today Weds 5-20-09. I heard a analog transmission saying that they were available from the central resturant.All I heard was a mobile and no base.heard.I will listen and see if I hear more to find out who it is for shure.

You may be listening to an IF mix image. These can fool you (and have fooled me, but I know how to check for that). Images will happen on very strong signals (or even medium strength signals with Uniden scanners...Doh! I know that was a "loaded" statement! Just funning there guys. ;) ) When you get signals that sound like they don't belong there, are sometimes off frequency, or have very short range you know it's most likely an image. You have to be careful posting or publishing frequencies if you don't eliminate these anomalies with checks and balances. Sometimes I am so eager to report new findes that I skip over the normal checks. Then I feel like an idiot! (like that 800 mutual aid P25 thread I posted :D )These scanners are not perfect and you have to "filter" out the garbage with your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.