DOE? Whata ya got?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOFA_KING

I am missing out on DOE freqs. After reading about some reports on the Mystery Freq thread, I'm looking to add some know DOE freqs into the scan list. What do you all have on them? Any known national assignments? I'll take anything! :lol:

I live near a nuke plant and never hear a thing on P25 searches. I have a note in my database that I heard a repeater back in the mid 90's in Ft. Lauderdale, FL on 164.3250 PL 100.0 with traffic like "DOE483 to DOE227". They called themselves "Miami Transport" and were talking to "Sector" (now Charlie 100) as a dispatch contact. This is known as CBP NET 10, no? So what is it? CBP or DOE? And what about those 167 and 168 MHz freqs that some report. I need some help here.

So who has a good list? Help a brutha out. :D

Phil :cool:

KB1JHU

Here's what I have for my area:

These are all either confirmed or suspected to be Brookhaven Nat'l Lab in Upton, NY (Long Island)
Not sure if there are any national assignments...
164.2250 - 192.8 - conf
164.3250 - 192.8 - conf
167.8750 - 127.3 - conf
168.4500 - 192.8 - susp
173.9750 - 127.3 - susp

An old list I have also shows the following for DOE:
164.7500 - Middleton, MA
167.8250 - Brookhaven National Lab
167.9750 - Brookhaven National Lab
411.3500 - Germantown, MD - KZW924
Haven't heard anything on the 2 Brookhaven freqs above.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
SOFA_KING said:
I live near a nuke plant and never hear a thing on P25 searches. I have a note in my database that I heard a repeater back in the mid 90's in Ft. Lauderdale, FL on 164.3250 PL 100.0 with traffic like "DOE483 to DOE227". They called themselves "Miami Transport" and were talking to "Sector" (now Charlie 100) as a dispatch contact. This is known as CBP NET 10, no? So what is it? CBP or DOE?

Phil, I doubt you would hear much from the DoE at any power company nuclear plant, as they are owned and operated by the utility companies. The DoE has little to do with day-to-day operations of these types of plants. However, the power companies usually have some very interesting security programs in place that can lead to some interesting monitoring challenges of their own.

I do recall hearing that DoE was a subscriber of the CBP Customs nationwide radio nets, so they very well could show up on the CBP system. The DoE has nationwide allocations for various operations, but most of the VHF & UHF stuff is site specific for each DoE facility, many with UHF trunked systems. I know that they use their HF system for nuclear materials transports much of the time. I'll see what I have and pass it along.

- Chris

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
What exactly goes down on these DOE Channels?
Are we talking security operations or what?
I never got to listen to any of them, and i always wondered?

D

DaveNF2G

167.850 NAC 200 DOE Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory, Niskayuna, NY
167.875 NAC 150 DOE same as above

SOFA_KING

Phil, I doubt you would hear much from the DoE at any power company nuclear plant, as they are owned and operated by the utility companies. The DoE has little to do with day-to-day operations of these types of plants. However, the power companies usually have some very interesting security programs in place that can lead to some interesting monitoring challenges of their own.

I do recall hearing that DoE was a subscriber of the CBP Customs nationwide radio nets, so they very well could show up on the CBP system. The DoE has nationwide allocations for various operations, but most of the VHF & UHF stuff is site specific for each DoE facility, many with UHF trunked systems. I know that they use their HF system for nuclear materials transports much of the time. I'll see what I have and pass it along.

- Chris

Thanks, Chris (and thanks KB1JHU & NF2G). I heard the Brookhaven stuff when I lived and worked in that area. Nothing exciting. Those Miami DOE coms on CBP NET 10 were the sort of thing I want to hear, but that was a long time ago and things may have changed. I guess I'm looking for any national assignments that might be used for an incident or protection of transportation. And I'm not sure how the NRC fits in here, but I'm looking for the same. When Dave posted his drill info it got me thinking about this. There are several freqs that come up often in different areas of the country, so maybe I will load those and see what I hear. At one time I thought I heard some VHF fed coms coming from my local nuke plant, but my notes are not indicating which freq(s) I heard that on or what they were saying (shame on me! :lol: )

Thanks all...and keep me informed on what you hear from these guys and how they use these freqs.

ecps92

Phil, my DOE Experience has never been with a Nuclear Plant, those are Private Corporations [Boston Edison, Entergy etc]

My DOE [Years Past, nothing since the Late 90's and Early 2000's

Middleton MA [DOE - run by MIT] Bates Linear Accelerator
Ended in 2005, and MIT was looking for DOE to transfer it to them
which did occur.

164.2750 Paging
164.7500R 114.8 / 167.8500 input
167.8750 S Ch.02

I would assume, since my last Valid report was 1993 and 2004, that MIT handles this site now.. [checking RR Database now for an MIT License
] Nothing for MIT, altho likely Normal Cambridge MIT channels would be used...

I am missing out on DOE freqs. After reading about some reports on the Mystery Freq thread, I'm looking to add some know DOE freqs into the scan list. What do you all have on them? Any known national assignments? I'll take anything! :lol:

I live near a nuke plant and never hear a thing on P25 searches. I have a note in my database that I heard a repeater back in the mid 90's in Ft. Lauderdale, FL on 164.3250 PL 100.0 with traffic like "DOE483 to DOE227". They called themselves "Miami Transport" and were talking to "Sector" (now Charlie 100) as a dispatch contact. This is known as CBP NET 10, no? So what is it? CBP or DOE? And what about those 167 and 168 MHz freqs that some report. I need some help here.

So who has a good list? Help a brutha out. :D

SOFA_KING

Wow, Bill. Fascinating stuff there. I dig that type of science. What do you think about element 115 and 116? :lol:

I sort of see a pattern where there are groups of VHF frequencies that are commonly used. The upper 167 freqs, 168 freqs, and the 164 freqs. Then there are others up higher in the band. Which are repeater outputs? 167 & 168? Simplex could be anywhere, but for antenna tuning reasons they might be in the section where the inputs are (164 MHz ?). I guess I'm trying to understand how they would build the system when spread across the band. Heck, I don't even understand what they really do, but that drill (BTW - nice document there) got me thinking about what might be around me that I'm not tuned into. Topic for Chris P's next MT Blog??? :D

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
FWIW regarding inputs... there are three channels used for laser testing/experiments that have their input in the 170-172 range.

Last edited by a moderator:

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Logged - Feb 23 2009 - 164.75R - PL 114.8 - possibly DOE in Middleton MA - maintenance ops

SOFA_KING

Thanks Wayne and zerg. I loaded in about 10 of the most reported freqs. I once saw a program on UFO's where these guys driving a convoy of heavily armed black vahicles were thought to be some sort of recovery team. Turned out they were NNSA transport guys. Gotta have radios, right?

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
And they no doubt do.

I have a long time mystery freq I've always thought related to DOE. It's encrypted 100% and is often heard in the area of the Lawrence Livermore Lab and along the highway that passes by it (the majority is the latter). Best I can tell is it operates in a remote base setup.

SOFA_KING

And they no doubt do.

I have a long time mystery freq I've always thought related to DOE. It's encrypted 100% and is often heard in the area of the Lawrence Livermore Lab and along the highway that passes by it (the majority is the latter). Best I can tell is it operates in a remote base setup.

I have one that is sort of commonand comes in on a band opening. I can't tell who it is yet. Might be Park Service, but I need to hear more.

164.7500 NAC $293 :confused:

ecps92

Phil, I had that one as Canaveral National Sea Shore

That is a new one I have never seen before. I will keep an eye on that one.

I have one that is sort of commonand comes in on a band opening. I can't tell who it is yet. Might be Park Service, but I need to hear more.

164.7500 NAC $293 :confused:

ClayD

I don't know how much HF they use anymore... Its all about MSAT-G2 Satellite Push to Talk now! Nextel like ptt on a secure talkgroup anywhere on the continent. I would imagine they use encrypted VHF simplex in the convoy itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.