2 Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cephas

1. Loaded the above Fed info to a new PRO 106 (I am new at this) via WIN 500. Seemed to go fine. Hit scan.

Screen says:

Scanning
1234567890 PRI
123456789-
415 P25 SCAN

Nothing else is happening...is this working?

2. Seems to take up almost all of the memory in my PRO-106, is it supposed to be that big? (I am using WIN500 which is saying that 1509 CONV objects, 1513 total blocks used, 339 blocks available...)

Thanks

Squad10

Chances are it is working. Yes the file is supposed to be that big. The file is really meant to be used as a research tool to find seldom used federal frequencies within the receiving range of a radio. Best used with the Win500 Log History feature. Because the radio is scanning so many frequencies (1509), the chances are great that you will miss alot of traffic because of the time it takes the radio to scan through that many frequencies..

You may want to ask/search for specific federal frequencies in your state's Regional Radio Discussions Forum. Or look at the RR database for your area. Depending where you are located, you may only have to deal with a few frequencies rather than over 1500.

SOFA_KING

1. Loaded the above Fed info to a new PRO 106 (I am new at this) via WIN 500. Seemed to go fine. Hit scan.

Screen says:

Scanning
1234567890 PRI
123456789-
415 P25 SCAN

Nothing else is happening...is this working?

2. Seems to take up almost all of the memory in my PRO-106, is it supposed to be that big? (I am using WIN500 which is saying that 1509 CONV objects, 1513 total blocks used, 339 blocks available...)

Thanks

Yes it is. Just make sure your squelch is not open. You should not see a constant S at the top. The "415" should change to 416, 417, 418...as it is scanning.

Each section of the band is in it's own list, so you can skip certain sections if you want by shutting off lists if you need to concentrate on a specific area. This speeds things up, but I usually run all of them on a specific band (one band at a time...VHF or UHF). I do not use the VHF/UHF Short scan file any more because 400 MHz UHF is using 12.5 KHz channel spacing these days and the "Short" version had to be 25 KHz spacing to fit (half of the frequencies). I use either the VHF file or the UHF file.

As far as how long it takes to complete a cycle and not catching stuff, I have not had any problem catching just about everything in my aea and beyond (out to 500 miles on a band opening). I can run these for days and not get anything new because I have everything there is to have except for the most dormant of active frequencies. When I first started running these files, it was logging multiple hits every day. I was having a hard time updating my database because there was so much to update. And now when a new frequency lights up in my area, I catch it multiple times, so that is proof that you will get the new ones and not miss much. Once activity starts on a frequency it usually is intense for a while until they "break off". ;)

Have fun!

Phil :cool:

Cephas

Hmmm....getting a constant S with bars to right of it...reviewed manual, followed instructions to adjust however cannot seem to take the S off, or reduce it to silent...ideas?

SOFA_KING

Hmmm....getting a constant S with bars to right of it...reviewed manual, followed instructions to adjust however cannot seem to take the S off, or reduce it to silent...ideas?

If you get constant 5 bars, you have a radio inteference problem. If you disconnect the antenna, and the bars drop, this will confirm the problem. This is not a programming problem.

If you are using the rubber duck that came with the scanner, or any indoor antenna near the computer for that matter, your computer could be the source of the interference. Many computers are real bad and can limit range rendering your scanner as useless. You can turn off the computer to confirm if this is the problem. Get your antenna as far away from the computer if this is the issue (coax and outdoor antenna). Use ferrite chokes (Radio Shaft sells them) on all lead wires to the computer. They reduce radiated noise, but the computer case may also be radiating at close range. Some computers are much lower in noise output (mine is), so you may want to try another.

If you are still getting "S" (open squelch) and 5 bars with the computer off, you may be getting overload from nearby FM stations. I do, so I fixed this problem with a simple TV FM trap filter I had in my junk box. Problem gone! No loss of range either...on any scanner band. These scanners have a known FM broadcast overload issue. I got a couple of these filters (new) off of evilBay for $7 shipped. RS sells the F to BNC adaptors. I use them on all of my scanner antennas (house/van/car). It is a must have for anyone who gets near FM transmitters.

Try those things. I think you will be able to fix the problem with ease.

Phil :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.