Intermediate Frequency Exchange For Federal Searching

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I just posted in the Uniden forum, but I wanted to see if anybody hear is using the Intermediate Frequency Exchange feature on a Uniden Bearcat scanner to help with searching the federal bands. I like to search 162-174 either by a regular search or scanning a group of frequencies from 162-174 in 12.5 kHz increments. Needless to say, since I am connected to an external antenna, I have some problems with certain frequencies mixing with the National Weather Service on 162.550 mHz. Granted, other frequencies mix on occasion, too, but I suppose the NWS is the most noticeable since it transmits 24 hours a day. I don't have nearly as much trouble on 406-420 mHz. I am wondering if programming the Intermediate Frequency Exchange feature for just the frequencies that I get mixing on might help? On a related note, since this particular radio is used in the house, once I get the settings where I want them, I should be all set. I realize that I can use the Attenuator, but I avoid using that if I don't have to. I suppose as a practical matter, I have probably logged most of the analog frequencies that are used in my area and as new systems come on the air they will likely be P25. As an aside, searching with Digital Only audio and NAC Search on is sort of a dream come true. I other good thing is, most analog frequencies found use PL/DPL and I can program that once the frequency is found. I do, however, have some frequencies that are analog and carrier squelch. For example, one of the U S Postal frequencies that trucks use is analog and has no PL or DPL whatsoever used on it. Is anybody hearing many (any) federal frequencies in their area that are completely carrier squelch?

Status
Not open for further replies.