Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaine

Premium Subscriber
Confirmed today new digital frequency of 409.525 NAC293 for USSD
Diplomatic Security Service here in DFW. This frequency is the new
nationwide common primary replacing the old 409.625 repeater in
many cities.

Ops were in the clear, with a very strong and good signal in Plano.

A VIP or Head Of State landed about 12:30 this afternoon, and has
been motorcading around town. I don't think they have departed yet,
so it might be a good time for other fed monitors to give a listen if
you like. Didn't really hear any code names for anyone. It was pretty
much agent to agent with their names and common speak. USSD
does it a little differently than USSS, but not THAT much.

Interestingly enough, 165.2125 USSS NAC001 was also very active at
the time with encrypted traffic. This frequency (which used to be used
by "former" presidential protection) leads me to wonder if this is the Bush
43 detail, and he was visiting with some old pals from other countries.

Anyway, interesting, and fun listening. Never did listen to any ATC traffic,
to hear if any special plane or callsign came in.

kennyblues

They've been using it in Boston for a while now, (perhaps since they went P-25) this channel is also a simulcast of DEA's Channel 1 418.6250

Blaine

Premium Subscriber
They've been using it in Boston for a while now, (perhaps since they went P-25) this channel is also a simulcast of DEA's Channel 1 418.6250

Thanks for the info. Yeah, DFW is slowly but surely making the P25 transition. DEA here is still analog, so far. I say so far, because it could literally change tomorrow.

FBI is just now proceeding with the changeover, compared to other parts of the country that have been active for awhile. I was trying to remember who was first around here to make the transition conventionally, and I believe it was the USSS field office here.

Rather bizarre that in Boston that also carries DEA CH 1 traffic. Would that not interfere with USSD if they are on a detail, or do they use a separate NAC?

kennyblues

Rather bizarre that in Boston that also carries DEA CH 1 traffic. Would that not interfere with USSD if they are on a detail, or do they use a separate NAC?

The output, 409.5250 is $293, for both agencies, I've never been able to catch an input for the D.O.S. so I'm not sure about having different tones, The 418.6250 repeater has the common national input of 416.0500, both show NAC of $156.

There's not too much left around here in the Fed bands that is analog, there are some 167MHz repeaters left, some ICE/CBP radios that operate simplex analog, some Postal service centers, some Federal building maintenance crews, just about all law enforcement operations are P-25 with varying degrees of encryption.

There is another thread here somewhere, either in the Fed or the Mass forum about this DSS/DEA shared repeater.
OK I found it;
http://forums.radioreference.com/fe...162411-strange-pairing-freqs-boston-area.html

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
Same with the San Francisco Bay Area. They've got two linked repeaters with the second being used on an entirely different freq but using the standard input.

Heard this today in the SF Bay Area. Units in clear advise to switch to "agent to agent" channel, which I assume is the output? Dunno.

Didn't hear them simplex, but repeater traffic sounded like they were in a motorcade becuase they were calling out traffic lights.

Last edited by a moderator:

kennyblues

Heard this today in the SF Bay Area. Units in clear advise to switch to "agent to agent" channel, which I assume is the output? Dunno.
Didn't hear them simplex, but repeater traffic sounded like they were in a motorcade because they were calling out traffic lights.

I've heard that referred to here in Boston, never been anywhere close enough to find it though. If they are using a repeater the input would be 9MHz higher, 418.5250.

SOFA_KING

Didn't hear them simplex, but repeater traffic sounded like they were in a motorcade becuase they were calling out traffic lights.

Oh man...I would have hit the search button so fast it would make your head spin. I would have jumped in the car and got within rang (not too close, just close enough). My search would have been 411 to 415.1 to start. Stuff like that is what searching and digging is all about. :twisted:

I have an idea it might be 412.2875. I heard some NAC293 traffic in L.A. on that when the main channel was very active. Check it out!

Last edited:

jf4164

In my old life I was almost permanently assigned to DOS details here in S. Fla.when they came into our area. Retired now.
Rptr out now is 409.525.
Agent to agent we had two choices--
switch to rptr output BUT we had an agent to agent channel--simplex only of 408.6. was used in almost all close-in details.
If you look at new federal band plan--add 9.0 mhx to output and u get the input. SO--DOS input is 418.525--which is DEA output.. Real good planning.

John--WA4VPY
South Florida

ecps92

In the past 3-4[maybe longer] yrs the Band has been migrated to Narrowband and a whole new channel plan was devised, across the board.

curious, as the new Gov't A Band plan is for + 9Mhz off-sets and
the DEA was to have moved long ago :) Just some are too far behind

Just like FPS finally moving from 417.2000 R / 415.2000 to now 408.2000 R / 417.2000 [New England, this month]

406-410 will be Rptrs
415-419 will be inputs
411-414 will be Simplex Only

In my old life I was almost permanently assigned to DOS details here in S. Fla.when they came into our area. Retired now.
Rptr out now is 409.525.
switch to rptr output BUT we had an agent to agent channel--simplex only of 408.6. was used in almost all close-in details.
If you look at new federal band plan--add 9.0 mhx to output and u get the input. SO--DOS input is 418.525--which is DEA output.. Real good planning.

John--WA4VPY
South Florida

ecps92

True, but you have never seen Boston at Rush 5+ Hour :D

Oh man...I would have hit the search button so fast it would make your head spin. I would have jumped in the car and got within rang (not too close, just close enough). My search would have been 411 to 415.1 to start. Stuff like that is what searching and digging is all about. :twisted:

I have an idea it might be 412.2875. I heard some NAC293 traffic in L.A. on that when the main channel was very active. Check it out!

SOFA_KING

Rptr out now is 409.525.

John--WA4VPY
South Florida

I have that 408.600 logged as weak P25 heard in SE FL. I also heard a ton of DOS traffic on it in NYC. NYC had a bunch of freqs that I never heard in S FL. I scanned them for years. Nothin'! I guess this is one to have in the list...and I just checked...it is in my scan list! Thanks jf4164. :)

SOFA_KING

True, but you have never seen Boston at Rush 5+ Hour :D

Oh yes I have! :D I had a job back in January on the Cape, and then had to do a job late in the day in Gloucester. I was in the thick of it around rush hour. It really sucked! Took forever to get there. It was a long day. :(

ecps92

Next time, don't SNEAK in, let us know when your in the Area :roll:

Oh yes I have! :D I had a job back in January on the Cape, and then had to do a job late in the day in Gloucester. I was in the thick of it around rush hour. It really sucked! Took forever to get there. It was a long day. :(

SOFA_KING

Next time, don't SNEAK in, let us know when your in the Area :roll:

Sorry, Bill. It was a project I had to do is a short amount of time. The guy I was helping was a dog. It took all day and then some. He got fired a couple of months ago.

Next time! :)

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
I have that 408.600 logged as weak P25 heard in SE FL. I also heard a ton of DOS traffic on it in NYC. NYC had a bunch of freqs that I never heard in S FL. I scanned them for years. Nothin'! I guess this is one to have in the list...and I just checked...it is in my scan list! Thanks jf4164. :)

I have only heard this frequency active once. It was at the federal building in Miami. It was P25 simplex (didn't have a NAC-capable scanner at the time so didn't get a NAC). The folks using this were some sort of DSS uniformed police (no, not FPS). I saw their uniform, badge, patches, etc. and it was State Department.

Status
Not open for further replies.