165.950 MHz - IRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I finally heard this frequency active in south Florida this morning. It was a P25 repeater with NAC 001. I haven't heard anything on here for years.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I finally heard this frequency active in south Florida this morning. It was a P25 repeater with NAC 001. I haven't heard anything on here for years.

Thanks for posting that catch! I have only heard them recently on that frequency out in the Los Angeles area in P-25, although the repeater seems to be mixed-mode, passing both analog and digital.

- Chris

ecps92

Chris, any NAC on the LAX one>?

NYC Area is showing $004

Thanks for posting that catch! I have only heard them recently on that frequency out in the Los Angeles area in P-25, although the repeater seems to be mixed-mode, passing both analog and digital.

- Chris

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Chris, any NAC on the LAX one>?

NYC Area is showing $004

The LA area traffic I caught was NAC 009. I would guess they have multiple repeaters, maybe just using different NACs to select different repeaters in the area.

As I noted earlier, the repeater in LA was mixed mode, with some analog interference keying the repeater up with noise. It did not put out any analog CTCSS or DPL tones when keyed up with the interference.

- chris

Squad10

Anybody confirm the input frequency to 165.9500?

167.0000 was the input to the Chicago analog repeater. Have not been able to confirm since the P25 system was installed.

Chicago IRS also had 166.0000 out/167.1000 in - analog years ago.

jmm346

When I last heard 165.9500 in LA, I also heard the ongoing interference. It seemed that the repeater was always keying up with garbage whenever 166.9500 p25 was transmitting.

My assumption was that 165.9500's receiver was picking up RF much wider than just 167.0000 +/- 6khz or whatever the deviation should be. I guess its also possible its picking up something from a bad antenna feedline or telephone line.

Either way, there was a clear correlation between 165.9500 keying up with garbage and 166.9500 active with P25.

The LA area traffic I caught was NAC 009. I would guess they have multiple repeaters, maybe just using different NACs to select different repeaters in the area.

As I noted earlier, the repeater in LA was mixed mode, with some analog interference keying the repeater up with noise. It did not put out any analog CTCSS or DPL tones when keyed up with the interference.

- chris

kennyblues

In the past I have also logged 167.0000, also with A NAC of $100
There is not a whole lot of traffic on this system so it's kind of hard to track it all down

mangomike

Premium Subscriber

Welcome to the club. I've had the 165.950 plugged into my scanner, along with the IRS/CID UHF system for several years. Last Month I finally heard P25 clear traffic simplex in Las Vegas. Still nothing on their UHF channels. Same NAC of 001. They idenified the channel as A 1, but three minutes later switched to a channel they identified as TAC 1. After that channel change, no joy, zip, nothing. I'm still trying to figure out where TAC 1 is.

Mike

Squad10

Welcome to the club. I've had the 165.950 plugged into my scanner, along with the IRS/CID UHF system for several years. Last Month I finally heard P25 clear traffic simplex in Las Vegas. Still nothing on their UHF channels. Same NAC of 001. They idenified the channel as A 1, but three minutes later switched to a channel they identified as TAC 1. After that channel change, no joy, zip, nothing. I'm still trying to figure out where TAC 1 is.

Mike

Have you tried 167.1625? Maybe they are on a caper with ATF.

mangomike

Premium Subscriber

Have you tried 167.1625? Maybe they are on a caper with ATF.

That is an interesting frequency which I have zero familiarity with. I'll give it a try, thanks. FYI, when I heard they were changing to TAC 1, I immediately conducted a search through the entire VHF Gov't high band, but still nothing.

I'm assuming that 167.1625 is an ATF frequency, yes?

If so, I've just leaned something.

Mike

SOFA_KING

I have a local RPTR in Ft. Pierce on thi freq with $011. I have also logged $003, but can't confirm where it is coming from. Interesting on the 167.0000 traffic. I am scanning all the "old" VHF stuff, plus some new ones that I have been informed about here. It looks like they retained the old VHF freqs all these years, but CBP in S FL had a repeater on 165.9500 PL 100.0 back in the 90's. Have not heard that for many years. I thought is was interesting who took over the IRS freqs when they were up on UHF. I'm glad they are back on VHF!

mangomike

Premium Subscriber
I have a local RPTR in Ft. Pierce on thi freq with $011. I have also logged $003, but can't confirm where it is coming from. Interesting on the 167.0000 traffic. I am scanning all the "old" VHF stuff, plus some new ones that I have been informed about here. It looks like they retained the old VHF freqs all these years, but CBP in S FL had a repeater on 165.9500 PL 100.0 back in the 90's. Have not heard that for many years. I thought is was interesting who took over the IRS freqs when they were up on UHF. I'm glad they are back on VHF!

When I lived in Cape Coral Florida, back in 1995, on that same frequency; 165.950 I picked-up what sounded like an open FM carrier. As I continued to listen it turned out to be a wireless mic. After they shut off the mic, the IRS/CID, UHF frequency, A-1 came alive, but was all DES encrypted. A few days later on the local news it was reported the IRS was conducting an investigation into a local hospital.

In those days, and living in Cape Coral listening to the local FBI in Ft. Myers on Bravo-1, 167.2375, KEV 327 was a very boring experience. Although on occasion Customs would become very active on 164.775 and when the skip rolled in I did enjoy listening to some of the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale FBI traffic. Living in Las Vegas now, has surely made up for those years of boredom.

Mike

SOFA_KING

When I lived in Cape Coral Florida, back in 1995, on that same frequency; 165.950 I picked-up what sounded like an open FM carrier. As I continued to listen it turned out to be a wireless mic. After they shut off the mic, the IRS/CID, UHF frequency, A-1 came alive, but was all DES encrypted. A few days later on the local news it was reported the IRS was conducting an investigation into a local hospital.

In those days, and living in Cape Coral listening to the local FBI in Ft. Myers on Bravo-1, 167.2375, KEV 327 was a very boring experience. Although on occasion Customs would become very active on 164.775 and when the skip rolled in I did enjoy listening to some of the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale FBI traffic. Living in Las Vegas now, has surely made up for those years of boredom.

Mike

Roger that, Mike ~

Things have changed, but I like knowing the history and thought process that went into those original band plans. Back in the day of crystal radios it was easy to narrow down an agency by what part of the band they used. Crystal radios were limited. My Regency Touch was synth, but the search function was so slow. 1 MHz was about all you wanted to search at one time. Today it is wide open for agencies with synth radios. At least we have some MUCH better scanners to search with.

I live outside the populated areas, so when I travel I get all sorts of good stuff in those more populated areas. But I usually don't have much time to listen and ID what I'm picking up, after all, I'm working. The most fun I had was sitting on the cliff in NJ overlooking NYC on those slow work days when I lived and worked there. Too bad scanners were way behind in tech back in the late 90's. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale in the early 90's and it was real busy and fun to listen. I bet you are in hog heaven out there in LV. :)

mangomike

Premium Subscriber
Roger that, Mike ~

Things have changed, but I like knowing the history and thought process that went into those original band plans. Back in the day of crystal radios it was easy to narrow down an agency by what part of the band they used. Crystal radios were limited. My Regency Touch was synth, but the search function was so slow. 1 MHz was about all you wanted to search at one time. Today it is wide open for agencies with synth radios. At least we have some MUCH better scanners to search with.

I live outside the populated areas, so when I travel I get all sorts of good stuff in those more populated areas. But I usually don't have much time to listen and ID what I'm picking up, after all, I'm working. The most fun I had was sitting on the cliff in NJ overlooking NYC on those slow work days when I lived and worked there. Too bad scanners were way behind in tech back in the late 90's. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale in the early 90's and it was real busy and fun to listen. I bet you are in hog heaven out there in LV. :)

You got that right, happy as a lark, as far as the Fedcom activity. My first scanner was the Bearcat 210, but that was back in the early eighties. My only experience with crystals, is in the mid seventies, the CB craze.

Mike

N8IAA

- Chris

Chris, just now heard testing in the clear and encrypted with a 001 NAC. North ATL metro area.
Larry

trumpetman

Database Admin
I caught a good decode with 003 NAC the other day in Charlotte, NC. Also have a friend reporting 002 NAC in Greensboro, NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.