165.2375 Omaha 10-12-2010 1:45PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

Hello To All, It has been a very long time since I posted on this fourm. I received a Phone Call from Viper 43 Today about he was hearing 165.2375 that was in the clear.They had a Helicopter in the air and kept calling Omaha.They were watching a location on the Southwest Side on Indianapolis around I-465 and Mann Road Omaha was watching a red bronco that was eastbound on I-465 in the center lane.Thanks to Viper 43 for the phone call.I was able to hear one side of the conversation and it sounded like they were using a repeater but we could not hear the other side. Is this ICE???? Any help would be appreceited.Thank You, Very Best Reguards,Tim DeLong W9NES / GMRS KAF3207*Monitoring all of Metro Indianapolis/Marion County and all of Central Indiana*

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Yes, Omaha is the callsign for Customs and Border Protection AMD assets. If you caught the Omaha number (Omaha 3-Sierra-Alpha for example), you could search for it here, the "3SA" being the last 3 in the aircraft's n-number.

165.2375 is the A1/A2 simplex/repeater allocation for CBP.

From what it sounds like you were hearing the air unit, and the ground units were too far (too low power) for you to hear, so this was A1 simplex.

ecps92

Or Omaha was high enough to trip multiple repeaters, where-as the ground units were only tripping the local repeater near-by the operation

It was amazing [east coast] how far they would trip NET-01 Repeaters

Yes, Omaha is the callsign for Customs and Border Protection AMD assets. If you caught the Omaha number (Omaha 3-Sierra-Alpha for example), you could search for it here, the "3SA" being the last 3 in the aircraft's n-number.

165.2375 is the A1/A2 simplex/repeater allocation for CBP.

From what it sounds like you were hearing the air unit, and the ground units were too far (too low power) for you to hear, so this was A1 simplex.

W9NES

Thanks Bill. Glad to be back.Omaha was on the Southwest of Indianapolis around I-465 and Mann Road.When Omaha unkeyed the radio it sounded like a repeater but did not hear anything else.I am going to keep this freq in my Uniden 996T that I have in my Communications Center that is set up just for Federal Only and nothing elese goes into that scanner.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Yeah and thanks for posting the specifics of the operation that was being conducted... it's not like an investigation EVER takes more than a day to complete...

milaw

Premium Subscriber
Yeah and thanks for posting the specifics of the operation that was being conducted... it's not like an investigation EVER takes more than a day to complete...

And people still won't understand why encryption is used

Viper43

LOL, yup, I am sure these boneheads they were following will check here on RR to see if ICE was following them, heck they aren't smart enough to use scanners do you honestly think they are smart enough to look here? NO.....
And as for the 465 & Mann Rd..... theres about 4,000 criminals who went through that area today, I'm sure they all think they were the ones being watched....
Get over it, if it were important enough to go encrypted it wouldn't take a day, it takes 20 seconds, call the units and tell them to switch to an encrypted channel.... seconds not a day.... and they all do it regularly, once they are actually going to hit a location they go encrypted most of the time. And on occasion they even use local pd's frequencies, which in this area won't get any encryption as most departments here can't afford it or just don't want it as it makes working with nieghbors impossible.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber

On a known CBP frequency, with a known CBP callsign. These federal agents aren't stupid, if it's a risk, they'll use cell phones or encryption if they have to. Quit acting like he's going to blow the "investigation."

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Or Omaha was high enough to trip multiple repeaters, where-as the ground units were only tripping the local repeater near-by the operation

Since they were hearing Indianapolis references, and are monitoring from Indianapolis, I figured the ground units would also be hitting the repeater. My mistake.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of criminals and gangs these days that do use scanners to monitor law enforcement activity in their area, some of them even do have people that do nothing but counter-intelligence. Several local gangs here actually have the cell phone scanner utilities to listen to what the police in their area are doing.

Were these guys listening in or looking online? Probably not.

Could they be? YES, and it puts the people in the air and on the ground in harms way when specific details of a police operation, much less a federal operation are posted on the internet.

Bone-headed posts like this are exactly why I support full encryption of law enforcement traffic.

EDIT: And Furthermore... in reference to "if it was sensitive it would be encrypted", the fact is that not all agencies have encryption available to them in all of their radios. Encryption in general, especially on a conventional system, takes a lot of work to maintain. It adds even more complications if the feds are working with local agencies who may not even have encryption-capable radios.

Last edited:

ecps92

All of us, are just speculating :) Since we are not the original listeners.
WE all share our experiences.

Also many folks call 165.2375 A-01/A-02, however it's actually NET-01 in Repeater mode or TAC-01 as Simplex. A-01 / A-02 is actually the Bank or Zone of the Radio and Channel vs the Alpha Tag.

However... it would only be
NET-01 if using 166.4375 as the input
NET-03 if using 166.5875 as the input
NET-06 if using 166.4875 as the input
NET-17 if using 166.5375 as the input
NET-40 if using 164.2500 as the input
NET-47 if using 172.3500 as the input
NET-52 if using 166.8750 as the input

There were some others in the analog days, they used different PL's for the input, but since most are now P25 these would be the commons, with $301 out Also some are now re-labled as DNET to indicate P25 vs NET for Analog in many radios [not all]

Since they were hearing Indianapolis references, and are monitoring from Indianapolis, I figured the ground units would also be hitting the repeater. My mistake.

ecps92

Now the ?? is P25 or Analog and what tones/nacs?

Thanks Bill. Glad to be back.Omaha was on the Southwest of Indianapolis around I-465 and Mann Road.When Omaha unkeyed the radio it sounded like a repeater but did not hear anything else.I am going to keep this freq in my Uniden 996T that I have in my Communications Center that is set up just for Federal Only and nothing elese goes into that scanner.

W9NES

Thanks Bill.To answer your question I found them in analog mode.I did have the Uniden 996T set up for both analog and Digital mode.

mancow

Database Admin
It happens. I know of one new user here that established an account to look for information because the DEA was on to him and he was about to be indicted. Luckily, he was too late but had he bee privy to real time information about his area he very well could have figured it all out very quickly.

I can't imagine it happens a lot but it does happen.

LOL, yup, I am sure these boneheads they were following will check here on RR to see if ICE was following them, heck they aren't smart enough to use scanners do you honestly think they are smart enough to look here? NO.....
And as for the 465 & Mann Rd..... theres about 4,000 criminals who went through that area today, I'm sure they all think they were the ones being watched....
Get over it, if it were important enough to go encrypted it wouldn't take a day, it takes 20 seconds, call the units and tell them to switch to an encrypted channel.... seconds not a day.... and they all do it regularly, once they are actually going to hit a location they go encrypted most of the time. And on occasion they even use local pd's frequencies, which in this area won't get any encryption as most departments here can't afford it or just don't want it as it makes working with nieghbors impossible.

Last edited:

mangomike

Premium Subscriber

Jake, I'd have to disagree with your statement above. I've heard operations which have taken almost two months, before they come to a conclusion.Then there are the ops where an agency uses a CI, for reasons unknown the deal falls through, then three weeks later the op is on again using the same CI. It's all pretty confusing to me, but then again I'm not in the loop.

Mike

ecps92

Looks like different Regions might have different NET-03's or someone programmed the Code Plug differently in one of our Regions ;)

Just goes to show, we can not ASSUME when someone says NET-xx [via the forums] for a standard reporting and we should include [if verified] the actual input from time-time

In San Antonio the input is 166.4375 and the repeater is referred to as "Net-3."

Status
Not open for further replies.