FBI question

Status
Not open for further replies.

coz

Premium Subscriber
I see FBI frequencies in NYC on the database page that state P25 transmission and 167 NAC tone. Does this mean that they are encrypted and we can't listen to them? Thanks I'm a rookie at this.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
No. The modes are:

D= digital (P25 is monitorable)
A= analog
E= encrypted (no one can listen)

Welcome to RR.

kma371

QRT
No. The modes are:

D= digital (P25 is monitorable)
A= analog
E= encrypted (no one can listen)

Welcome to RR.

"A" and "E" are only listed within trunked systems so that doesn't apply.

Most FBI transmissions are encrypted however

kennyblues

Keep in mind that monitoring most federal agencies is unlike monitoring the local PD & FD. Most Fed agencies operations will occur during business hours, Monday thru Friday from 9-5. Of course certain operations due occur at night and weekends and sometimes 24-7. Sometimes everything will be encrypted and then sometimes everything will be in the clear. Program the listed frequencies in and give a month or so, see what you get, also try your search feature from 162-174 & 406-420.

coz

Premium Subscriber
Thanks very much for the info. Maybe OT but I'm trying to figure out what scanner/receiver to buy and i was trying to see what I would listen to first. I'm in NYC and was turned on to the new PSR800 with the included database and trucking ability. However, i kind of like the AR2300 as a wideband receiver that would do everything. Do you guys use a dedicate scanner and is a wideband receiver like an AOR a bad idea for VHF scanning etc? thanks

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
So much fed traffic is simplex such a mobile surveillance operations, marshals moving around, etc. For longer range comms so much is done on cell phones, nextel, etc.

So it all depends on where you are and what you can catch. You would surprised whats in the open.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Thanks very much for the info. Maybe OT but I'm trying to figure out what scanner/receiver to buy and i was trying to see what I would listen to first. I'm in NYC and was turned on to the new PSR800 with the included database and trucking ability. However, i kind of like the AR2300 as a wideband receiver that would do everything. Do you guys use a dedicate scanner and is a wideband receiver like an AOR a bad idea for VHF scanning etc? thanks

Does the 2300 track trunked systems? It should for $3500.00. You don't need all that. A Uniden 996XT would be more than enough.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
So much fed traffic is simplex such a mobile surveillance operations, marshals moving around, etc. For longer range comms so much is done on cell phones, nextel, etc.

So it all depends on where you are and what you can catch. You would surprised whats in the open.

DC and Norther VA area has many repeaters for them to use. They also use simplex like you mentioned.

AC2OY

Does the 2300 track trunked systems? It should for $3500.00. You don't need all that. A Uniden 996XT would be more than enough.

Wait up Cochise...what type of scanner costs $3500.00 and what can you listen to with that...,Star Fleet Operations??....LOL "Kirk Star Fleet this is Enterprise"

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
DC and Norther VA area has many repeaters for them to use. They also use simplex like you mentioned.

True, it really depends on the field office and what the agents are doing. In metro areas there are so many task forces which might have a few FBI agents but have 20 or 30 local detectives assigned and sworn as federal marshals. In those cases the FBI and the local officers might use a local talk group or a local simplex freq. You really never know.

A HIDTA for instance has FBI, DEA, IRS, local cops, etc all in one office. They may elect to use a DEA simplex or repeater or a local TRS, just depends and it changes as their needs do.

I know one HITDA that almost exclusively uses Nextel group talk for its operations becuase they cover such a large area that no one repeater set up or TRS will fit their needs.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Wait up Cochise...what type of scanner costs $3500.00 and what can you listen to with that...,Star Fleet Operations??....LOL "Kirk Star Fleet this is Enterprise"
If you've ever used a scanner and a "professional receiver" you'll understand why they cost more. The AOR AR2300 is a software defined radio, plus it offers a huge amount of real receiver features. But still, you will not get the RX performance in a scanner that a modern professional receiver will provide. Since Federal radio is still conventional, and predominantly on VHF, using a good grade receiver will pull in those distant Fed signals. I have a ICOM PCR2500 dedicated to Federal VHF.

This is the "scanner": link

Last edited:

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
A HIDTA for instance has FBI, DEA, IRS, local cops, etc all in one office. They may elect to use a DEA simplex or repeater or a local TRS, just depends and it changes as their needs do.

Don't forget federal Inter-op freqs.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is an agency that conducts sensitive investigations, at the state and local level, and also espionage and terrorist activity.

They go against the low life scum, as well as criminals whom are educated : both blue and white collar professionals.

They are not the border patrol, the U.S Marshals ( even the 1811's ). They are an investigative agency, whom under the Department of Justice , most generally have to get permission from the Attorney Generals office, or an Assistant U.S Attorney, unlike some other federal agencys whom just ask their boss if it is oh-kay.

Same with the U.S Secret Service, and next to the Diplomatic Security Service is one of the best, in my opinion, Federal Law Enforcement agencys. The Security Clearances of FBI, DSS and Secret Service Agents is very high, and a background check is thorough. TS/SBI's do not come easy, and are not handed out like candy.

Radio communications of Federal Agents of this sort has to be secure, because of not only the safeguard of activity, but work essential to national security , such as terrorism, espionage, spys. Careful planing of the radio spectrum, power level, location and transmissionis all based on good COMSEC ( Communications Security ) work. I would expect secure cells to be used, as a VHF, UHF radio can be picked up, even though it cannot be heard. " Hey......407 MHZ, and 163 MHZ. Some feds are running around here somewhere." It don't take a genius to pick up a radio freq on a frequency counter, or " Close Call" to know that some feds are running aorund in your A.O ( Area of operations ). Adjust the squelch, and you have an idea of how far they are away.

I keep seing threads upon threads of "US Marshals" and "FBI" and "Border Patrol". They want their comms secure for a reason , and that is their safety and maybe their lives depend on it. Border Patrol cannot be chasing drug or human smugglers, if the bad guys can tune into the Border Patrol and know their location, strength, assets and other pertenant information. And in some cases, it could very well likely wind up in Border Patrol agents getting ambushed with rifle / machine gun fire. Criminals killing agents, cause they do not want to go to jail for 40 years, due to they have a large amount of dope. A person committing criminal activity, whom faces many charges if caught and about 30-50 years incarceration ( ex= drug possession, transporting drugs across state lines, firearms in commission of a felony, possesion with intent to distribute, drug trafficking ) does not loose nothing ( in my opinion ) by killing a Law Enforcement officer(s).

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is the investigative arm of the U.S Government, and the only agency whom is chartered, and can by law, can perform intelligence activity in the U.S. Now other agencys can, and have the capability, but legally, the FBI is the only agency that is allowed. I guess the CIA, NSA and others could perform work in the U.S , and pass that info to the FBI, but if they were caught...Congress would have a fit ; heads would roll on the hill, agency administrators fired, and investigated for criminal charges. A civilian could illegally use audio and video surveillance for their own knowledge, but if they were caught...They could face tort and criminal repercussions. Illegal surveillance only comes with repercussions if you are caught, but sometimes it can contain a wealth of information and be beneficial. Use it wrong, or others find out ----- > They will have to "Pay the Piper."

If the U.S Government wants you know what they are doing ( with all due respect ) , they will put it in the paper, or on TV, or both.

FF - Medic !!!

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.

I would venture to belive that one person does not have enough scanners to listen to all the Federal radio freqs in that area. Federal L/E, Military and other Government entitys - VHF Low and High, UHF, 800 MHZ, Shortwave. Geeze. :)

FF - Medic !!!

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Something else I've noticed in the Norther VA and DC area is if the FBI is tailing someone and are traveling outside the workable range of a repeater, you'll hear one agent tell the other to go to a simplex channel or switch to another repeater channel. They will also pop up on the some surrounding trunked systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.