Las Vegas Freq. 167.3625

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas_Eric

Does anyone know why there is a non-stop continuous carrier on their frequency? It's been there for as long as I can remember. If not locked out, my scanner will always stop on this Freq.

Eric

SCPD

QRT
Do you hear this on a portable in all locations. If you are hearing this in just one location, such as your home, this could be a "birdie" or interference that sounds like open squelch continuously. There can be devices, such as computer related devices, that will put out birdies. I carry a small ham radio in my Camelbak pack when I ride my road bicycle and when I'm in town riding I will pick up birdies in different spots on different frequencies. Those devices are not supposed to transmit signals strong enough to do this, per Part 15 FCC regulations, but they still do. I've received them strongly near certain buildings in town on a public safety grade radio when I used to work for the U.S. Forest Service.

If you are receiving this open squelch type sound, or open mike sounding signal, on a portable or mobile in many locations then disregard the last paragraph. I have no idea how to answer your question in this case.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes old, unused repeaters will malfunction and dead key or continuously ker-chunk. We had that problem here in SoCal for YEARS with a Coast Guard repeater until their comm system was upgraded.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Could it be a trunking control channel?

No, I've heard it too. It's just an unmodulated carrier, or some sort of odd mixing going on.

At first it sounded like an internal birdie. But I've heard it on multiple radios.

It's not all that strong over here by the MGM Grand area, but definitely there...

- Chris

Hooligan

Does anyone know why there is a non-stop continuous carrier on their frequency? It's been there for as long as I can remember. If not locked out, my scanner will always stop on this Freq.

Eric

I first noticed it about 2 years ago. It's quite strong along I-15 in the Apex area, but that's high ground looking down onto the Las Vegas valley. Signal does get weak pretty quickly so I think it's most likely an unintentional radiator, or using a low to mid-profile site with extremely low or low ERP.

One of these days, those of us that know how to RDF it should give it a try. And/or call the FCC. The engineers at the Los Angeles Field Office would probably fight to see who gets to go spend a day or two in Vegas.

mancow

Database Admin
It's likely a bad FBI repeater. There was one here that went on for months keying up over and over in securenet mode.

mangomike

Premium Subscriber
Mancow is correct. According to my records, when I lived in Las Vegas, up through April 2011, 167.3625, was intermittently used for surveillance's. 167.3625 was the repeater output, with an input frequency of 162.850, NAC 167. Unfortunately, I was unable to ascertain which FBI squad or task force used that frequency, and I unable to determine that frequencies channel designation.

Hooligan

For those wanting to diagnose this as simply an FBI repeater that's been accidently keyed-up 24/7 for the past several years, it's important to keep in mind that the emission in question seems to be an FM carrier, not P-25, and not transmitting a 167.9Hz CTCSS let-alone any CTCSS. Also, signal-strength quirks suggest that it's not a high ERP or real high HAAT.

Vegas_Eric

I hear it at home, at work, on the freeway. Pretty much all over the Vegas Valley.

Do you hear this on a portable in all locations. If you are hearing this in just one location, such as your home, this could be a "birdie" or interference that sounds like open squelch continuously. There can be devices, such as computer related devices, that will put out birdies. I carry a small ham radio in my Camelbak pack when I ride my road bicycle and when I'm in town riding I will pick up birdies in different spots on different frequencies. Those devices are not supposed to transmit signals strong enough to do this, per Part 15 FCC regulations, but they still do. I've received them strongly near certain buildings in town on a public safety grade radio when I used to work for the U.S. Forest Service.

If you are receiving this open squelch type sound, or open mike sounding signal, on a portable or mobile in many locations then disregard the last paragraph. I have no idea how to answer your question in this case.

Vegas_Eric

I hear it just as strong in the extreme most portions of North Las Vegas as I do around Vegas. Yes, near the Trop and LV Blvd Area it's not that strong, but it's still there.

I want to keep this freq active, but every time I start scanning I end up temporarily locking this freq out 100% of the time.

Eric

No, I've heard it too. It's just an unmodulated carrier, or some sort of odd mixing going on.

At first it sounded like an internal birdie. But I've heard it on multiple radios.

It's not all that strong over here by the MGM Grand area, but definitely there...

- Chris

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Well, it looks like someone may finally be working on this issue.

I've been in the Las Vegas area for the last few days and checked every time I could if it was still there, and it was. Until this morning - I cleared all the lockouts in my search bank and found that 167.3625 was not active. I left it scan for a while and sometime around 11AM today (5/22), the carrier came back, but as a P-25 signal with a NAC of N167. It keyed up and went down several times, but then ended up being an unmodulated FM carrier again. I'm out of the area right now, so I don't know if it's still up.

Don't know if someone was playing with a console some where or someone at a repeater site...

- Chris

Last edited:

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
And headed back into the Las Vegas metro area this afternoon, and the carrier is back up again. :-(

It definitely is in the Las Vegas area proper. The carrier went away as I headed northwest out of town on 95 and cam back as I headed toward town.

- Chris

Hooligan

By the way, I just took a good, sober look at this thread & the constant emitter that *I* have been noticing over the past couple years isn't on 167, but 162MHz!

Going from memory, it's 162.7875. Using a Uniden BC-996XT hooked-up to a fender-mounted Austin Spectra, I can detect the signal as far East as around I-15 mile marker 100 (just W of Mesquite NV), where I suspect part of the reason the extremely weak signal fades-out at that point is due to topography.
Heading W towards Vegas, the signal is pretty much full-scale for me as I approach the US-93 split (I-15 mm 64) & remains full-scale as I enter the Las Vegas metropolitan area on I-15. Some minor fading due to driving under overpasses, the Strip's concrete canyons, etc. but mostly a full-scale signal. With a full-scale signal on the 996XT, I resort to just listening to the audio quality as I'm driving around, and so far, I've never gotten to a point where the dead-carrier audio indicated that I was really getting close.

One of these days I'll stop in an open area & try body-nulling with a handheld radio to try to get a basic direction, but for now, I'm still thinking it's a relatively low ERP combined with very good HAAT. I can hear some of of the high-profile FBI LV repeaters from my home in Utah but cannot hear this emitter from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.