164.5500 mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squad10

For the first time ever, heard 164.5500 analog, CSQ, no hang-time, in-the-clear, using PSR-500 (mod-auto, squelch mode-search) and multiple analog-only receivers. RF signal strength and message content was typical fixed wing surveillance. Anybody heard same recently in you area?

For years I've confirmed it Nationwide D1 analog, (FBI tone) 167.9 (Securenet code/clear) repeat (168.8625) and talkaround. Heard many times before, never CSQ.

Other than legacy DEA, all Chicago FLE frequencies I know are P25. To receive analog CSQ is strange.

Great thing about federal, never know when or what to expect, and why. With digital, Who becomes more interesting too.

SABER3

Saber3
Premium Subscriber
In NYC/LI back in the 80's & early 90's it was a USCG helo A/G for SAR & maintenance when they had an air station at Floyd Bennet field in Brooklyn. Not much traffic but when it was active it was always interesting. Last time i heard anything on it was during the TWA 800 crash.

ecps92

164.5500 is a mish-mosh of agencies. BIA, BLM, CBP, FBI, USCG, ICE to name a few

PL/DPL/NAC and No PL vary by Region and Agency

Don't be surprised.
Lots of Analog Radios came out of the closet, during the Boston Bombing Event

For the first time ever, heard 164.5500 analog, CSQ, no hang-time, in-the-clear, using PSR-500 (mod-auto, squelch mode-search) and multiple analog-only receivers. RF signal strength and message content was typical fixed wing surveillance. Anybody heard same recently in you area?

For years I've confirmed it Nationwide D1 analog, (FBI tone) 167.9 (Securenet code/clear) repeat (168.8625) and talkaround. Heard many times before, never CSQ.

Other than legacy DEA, all Chicago FLE frequencies I know are P25. To receive analog CSQ is strange.

Great thing about federal, never know when or what to expect, and why. With digital, Who becomes more interesting too.

ecps92

Still used by Air Sta. Cape Cod ;)

In NYC/LI back in the 80's & early 90's it was a USCG helo A/G for SAR & maintenance when they had an air station at Floyd Bennet field in Brooklyn. Not much traffic but when it was active it was always interesting. Last time i heard anything on it was during the TWA 800 crash.

reconrider8

not to bring back a dead thread or to hijack this thread but im getting tons of traffic across this frequency this morning with a nac of 001. didnt want to start a whole new thread for the same frequency

Squad10

not to bring back a dead thread or to hijack this thread but im getting tons of traffic across this frequency this morning with a nac of 001. didnt want to start a whole new thread for the same frequency

Did any of the transmissions have repeater hang-time?

nd5y

Repeaters are usually configured to transmit for a few seconds after the users transmissions end. That is commonly called hang time. Uniden scanners will display P25 or ENC when the user is talking and LNK during the hang time.

Last edited:

Squad10

what do you mean hangtime?

At the end of a voice PTT (Push-To-Talk) transmission, the RF carrier may continue for about 3 seconds with a consistent carrier that has no voice. The 3 seconds hang-time normally indicates the frequency is used as a repeater output.

Frequencies that are used for repeater input or used for simplex operation only, have no hang-time.

You may not be able to hear repeater "hang-time" using a P25 scanner. I monitor all P25 transmissions with an analog-only receiver so I can listen for P25 repeater hang-time.

In my area, there is only one federal agency that use repeaters configured for no hang-time, and their NAC is 001.

reconrider8

I couldn't really tell because it was all enc but if I had to say they didn't but then again I have a delay set on mine to give me time to write it all down

Last edited:

Squad10

There's an audio difference between the sound of encrypted voice and the sound of hang-time. Hang-time sounds like steady rough audio. Encrypted voice sounds like rapidly changing frequency tones.

An analog-only receiver allows the difference to be experienced.

No big deal if you're not interested in the technical use of a specific frequency or the attempt to match it to a system.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
This is a DEA Interop frequency (at least here in S. Florida) and still analog with a CSQ output on the repeater. However, NAC 001 is the standard for this frequency in the digital mode in other areas.

nd5y

Years ago before the current 162-174 band plan it was supposedly confimed as FBI OCDETF (Organized Crime and Drug Enforcement Task Force). I don't know if that is still the case. I have never heard it used here in north Texas.

Squad10

I record/monitor 164.5500 24x7 using a fixed station analog-only CSQ receiver. Since my OP, no record activity. I'm not certain if its current use is repeater input, repeater output, simplex talk-around or dedicated-simplex.

Interesting that my OP states analog and CSQ which coincides with sflmonitor observation. Before I first heard it used analog CSQ, it was used P25 encrypted NAC 167 at a 05/2008 FBI/county/local joint training exercise.

Probably interop, here in Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.