Are these really common?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Some of you may know that I'm in the middle of a massive reorg of the collaboration wiki, and I came across this category of frequencies

Category:US and Canadian Common Frequencies - The RadioReference Wiki

Looking at this, I see several Federal agencies listed. I have a hard time believing all of these agencies would have a common channel between the US and Canada. They might, I suppose, but would agencies like the Department of Veteran's Affairs really be set up that way? (I work on a project involving them, and believe me, I doubt those knuckleheads think that far ahead :D )

Anyone? To me those agencies should get moved to the federal government, and out of the common area. I could believe fast foods or acts like Cirque du Soleil, but not the VA, surely...I could even buy an agency like Customs and Border Protection...

Mike

Last edited:

ecps92

The Majority (Federal) I say are NOT. Business Band is a different Story

Unless actually monitored across the Line(s) most of them are US or CN specific. The US (DHS) has been working on many initiatives for BI (Border Interop), there are some exceptions, but to many scannists these are unknown right now. Examples would be Ottawa where the US CBP has a presence but Nothing reported (from what I have seen, they were standard CBP Radios, but nothing monitored/validated)

You are Correct on the VA, CAP, USCG Aux etc

Some of you may know that I'm in the middle of a massive reorg of the collaboration wiki, and I came across this category of frequencies

Category:US and Canadian Common Frequencies - The RadioReference Wiki

Looking at this, I see several Federal agencies listed. I have a hard time believing all of these agencies would have a common channel between the US and Canada. They might, I suppose, but would agencies like the Department of Veteran's Affairs really be set up that way? (I work on a project involving them, and believe me, I doubt those knuckleheads think that far ahead :D )

Anyone? To me those agencies should get moved to the federal government, and out of the common area. I could believe fast foods or acts like Cirque du Soleil, but not the VA, surely...I could even buy an agency like Customs and Border Protection...

Mike

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I don't believe that that list is meant to indicate frequencies used to communicate interoperably between the USA and Canada. Instead, I think it is supposed to be for frequencies that are reserved nationwide for specific use. The confusion may come about due to the fact that it mentions the USA and Canada.. I suspect that the first batch(es) of frequencies put in there were things like FRS, CB, etc., which are indeed the same in the US as they are in Canada. Most of what is in that wiki page is not common to both countries, though - I can guarantee you there is no reserved allocation for "part 22 paging" for example north of the border.

I would suggest that a couple things happen. If you want to identify frequencies that are indeed common to both countries (or those and other countries, for that matter), isolate those lists and put them on a page somewhere (again, I think this page was supposed to be it). To my knowledge, such a list would consist mostly of just FRS (note: GMRS does not exist in Canada), 46/49 MHz cordless phones, CB, marine, and railroad. Everything else on that page is stuff that is "common" to the USA, in that it's allocated nation-wide or region-wide, but it's definitely not "common" between the US and Canada. All of that stuff should be moved somewhere else (especially the stuff restricted to a specific geographic locale like "NY area aeronautical").

Status
Not open for further replies.