RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Federal Monitoring Forum

Federal Monitoring Forum - The place to discuss monitoring federal government communications and related topics

View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Federal Government To Listen To
CBP 13 36.11%
FBI 18 50.00%
ICE 13 36.11%
DHS 12 33.33%
FAA 4 11.11%
BOP 1 2.78%
IRS 1 2.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 1:31 PM

I've had hits on 170.9625 with nac 167 and thought its FBI. Maybe they use it as well.
We do need a like button!
PRO-64, PRO-95,PRO-96,PRO-2096,PRO-197,PRO-106
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2014, 2:06 PM

Next time you hear this channel active search around the band, you may find other frequencies simulcasting the same traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhl View Post
I've had hits on 170.9625 with nac 167 and thought its FBI. Maybe they use it as well.
Old 08-03-2014, 2:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well $167 does point toward FBI and since your profile says NH
you are correct

As KB says, put your radio into Search. 170.9625 needs to be identified for a REAL location besides 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhl View Post
Old 08-03-2014, 11:30 PM

BIA, IHS and VA Hospital Police which are not listed.
Old 08-05-2014, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KampingAnthony1AolCo View Post
This thread will be about your favorite Federal Government to listen too and why you like listening to them. Is it because it is not ENC or because they can be funny sometimes like our local Federal prison. I will start off. My favorite Federal Government is the Federal prisons because they are funny like I said. And I am used to listening to them.
I only like the BoP because the local FCI in Pekin sometimes gets smart with each other and jokes around. My second Federal Government I like is the CBP because it is not ENC like the FBI.
Old 08-05-2014, 6:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

So which CBP Freqs (include the NAC) are active in your hood.

Quote:
I only like the BoP because the local FCI in Pekin sometimes gets smart with each other and jokes around. My second Federal Government I like is the CBP because it is not ENC like the FBI.
Old 08-05-2014, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecps92 View Post
I have 165.2375 with a 301 NAC. I also have 163.725 with the C02 NAC. I got the INS with the C02 NAC to on 163.625. I have not been listening that much lately to the VHF band of the feds. Its just been the FCI in Pekin.
Old 08-06-2014, 5:26 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Interesting.
165.2375 was reported pretty much as $C02, where (if you were able to deceipher) might the $301 Repeater be located ? Channel # ?

Quote:
I have 165.2375 with a 301 NAC. I also have 163.725 with the C02 NAC. I got the INS with the C02 NAC to on 163.625. I have not been listening that much lately to the VHF band of the feds. Its just been the FCI in Pekin.
Old 08-06-2014, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Interesting.
165.2375 was reported pretty much as $C02, where (if you were able to deceipher) might the $301 Repeater be located ? Channel # ?
I think 165.2375 is located at our airport. I think it is channel A.1. Like I said before I have not been listening. This is what I heard before. Its just been the FCI in Pekin .
Old 08-06-2014, 2:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

DEA, but they are not listed in the poll.
Old 08-11-2014, 4:03 PM

Quote:
I also like the DEA. I know you will ask which onces and to include the NAC also . The freqs are analog and they are 418.625 and 418.950 with a 156.7 PL. They are not P25.
Old 04-08-2015, 8:11 PM

Hello. are those Frequencies good nation wide or for a certain area ????
TNX
Old 04-09-2015, 11:45 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Not sure whose message you are replying to....
it does help to Quote the original message.

But yes, many of the Frequencies listed in the Wiki, can be heard around the Country. YMMV tho as to activity and which specific channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker44 View Post
Hello. are those Frequencies good nation wide or for a certain area ????
TNX
Old 04-09-2015, 3:51 PM

Hello, I was referring to the post just above me. (KampingAnthony1CAolCo) his information on the DEA.
TNX a bunch for the information.
I will give them a try.
Old 04-11-2015, 5:26 AM

Wink

I am another person to comment that your list of federal agencies is rather short. I like to listen to the four major federal natural resource/land management agencies and all communications involving wildland fire. The four, unmentioned, agencies are the National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Similar state agencies come next. As my wife says, "you can take the ranger out of the forest, but you can't take the forest out of the ranger."

I should add one more agency, the Bureau of Indian Affairs and a collection of reservations that have forestry, range, wildlife and recreation management programs. I could hear a lot of BIA traffic when I lived in New Mexico and when I visit family in the Phoenix area I like to listen to the San Carlos and Fort Apache Reservations as they have a large natural resource and wildland fire workload. By the way, they haven't changed the name to "Native American Reservations" or the "Bureau of Native American Affairs" so the words I chose are official.

If I lived on an ocean coast I would want to listen to a relatively unknown land management agency, the National Ocean Service in NOAA. They manage "marine protected areas," which include among other classifications national marine sanctuaries and national marine estuaries. They have a broad scope of other responsibilities as well. They have law enforcement officers that patrol these areas and are quite visible in some areas. There is one of these areas in Florida where the state and feds patrol and have a cooperative agreement. All the officers wear uniform shirts with both NOAA and state agency logos on them. They enforce no fishing areas, methods of fishing, limits, damage to underwater and above water resources. The officers are part of the NOAA Office of Law Enforcement. There are no "National Oceans" even though they are called the "National Ocean Service."

If I lived in the right coastal areas I would listen to the National Marine Fisheries Service as well. They have jurisdiction of oceans from 3 -200 miles off the coast. They have jurisdiction on land as well when anadromous fish are involved. These are fish, like the salmon, that spent most of their lives in the ocean and saltwater, but spend time in freshwater for a portion of their lives as well. They are part of NOAA and have law enforcement officers as well.

I've lived in remote areas for 37 years now and traffic from other federal agencies is rare. I don't waste a lot of time trying to search and log the entire federal spectrum. I had access to special use permit files for electronic sites containing frequency use. As I remember the FBI did not provide frequencies on their permit forms, but that was an exception. There aren't many other permanent installations on National Forest land, where the majority of electronic sites are located. The exception is one data relay station used by the Natural Resources Conservation Service (they were the Soil Conservation Service for a long time) to obtain readings from automated snow measuring sites.

When I lived in New Mexico I was able to listen to a National Science Foundation frequency used at the Very Large Array radio telescope located about 15 miles from my home. There wasn't a lot of traffic. As we were in west central New Mexico I often heard aircraft flying with no lights above us. Those were the days of the Radio Communications Monitoring Association where it could be several weeks or months before someone answered a query, so it was tough for me to figure out if the Border Patrol, DEA or Customs Service was involved. We weren't on the flight path for Roswell, so I assumed the aircraft were not alien in nature.

Last edited by Kendrick10423; 04-11-2015 at 6:03 AM.. Reason: clarity and added information on a couple of little known federal agencies
Old 04-29-2015, 2:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well, for Me. I like NPS, BIA, NFS, and FAA.
Old 04-30-2015, 7:30 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The only federal agency I listen to is the FAA. I don't listen listen to them at home but only at work. Listening to the FAA is job related, I work for the FAA at the FAA Technical Center.
Old 05-03-2015, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7ckq View Post
Well, for Me. I like NPS, BIA, NFS, and FAA.
Who is the NFS?
Old 05-03-2015, 5:16 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default NSF Initials ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsmokey View Post

When I lived in New Mexico I was able to listen to a National Science Foundation frequency used at the Very Large Array radio telescope located about 15 miles from my home. There wasn't a lot of traffic. As we were in west central New Mexico I often heard aircraft flying with no lights above us. Those were the days of the Radio Communications Monitoring Association where it could be several weeks or months before someone answered a query, so it was tough for me to figure out if the Border Patrol, DEA or Customs Service was involved. We weren't on the flight path for Roswell, so I assumed the aircraft were not alien in nature.
Hmm, maybe the same group with the NSF initials above you used to listen to ... "National Science Foundation" ... or perhaps not ?
RS 20-32(2),20-43(2),20-73 ST2,20-176,20-283's
Old 05-03-2015, 11:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

lol, sorry. I meant to say USFS. Some how I was thinking National Forest Service.

Tags
federal government