What Percentages Of Your Federal Channels Are VHF Vs. UHF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
As posted above, of the federal channels that you monitor, what percentage are VHF and what percentage are UHF? For me, it seems like Federal UHF is way down. So, maybe it would be 95% VHF and 5 % UHF.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Roughly about 70 - 30% in my area when I hear them, as I'm gone during the day usually. 73, n9zas

SCPD

QRT
VHF is 95% and UHF is 5%. The VHF might even be higher, I'm just guessing. Most of my programs are written to cover the rural areas of California, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico. Probably 90% of my federal programming is for the natural resource/public land/fire management agencies. Those agencies use VHF and sometimes UHF for links only. Most of the federal UHF frequencies I've included in my programs are used for uplink/downlink purposes. I like to know the link frequencies as they can greatly enhance listening.

The UHF frequencies seem to be used more in urban areas and in the east. I've rarely traveled to the east and stay away from urban areas as much as possible. When I do visit I find myself so busy listening to nearby federal land management agencies and fire departments that I don't listen to agencies such as the DEA and others who use UHF in metro areas. As a result I don't enter their frequencies in my programs. If I lived in an urban area I would use additional scanners for federal UHF monitoring and devote some time to doing so on a regular basis.

Some of the urban programs I've written are close to filling up the memory capacity of my PSR-600/500 radios.

Last edited:

kd7ckq

About the same, 95% VHF and 5% UHF. Now actually hearing anything on those 5% UHF frequencies is another thing. Only about 4 frequencies are active daily.

ecps92

Depends by Agency (New England) and your interests

If truely VHF vs UHF
80 / 10 / 10
UHF / High / Low

But then by Agency

DEA is still UHF
FRB, FPS, FBOP, USPS, DoS, NARA all UHF

FBI, CBP, BP, ICE, CG, VA, AF, ACoE, USM, FAA, TSA, NPS, USFS, USF&W etc all VHF
and the Part 90 users with Railroad and Federal Allocations VHF (Maine)

As posted above, of the federal channels that you monitor, what percentage are VHF and what percentage are UHF? For me, it seems like Federal UHF is way down. So, maybe it would be 95% VHF and 5 % UHF.

darkwolf

Premium Subscriber
VHF is 95% and UHF is 5%. The VHF might even be higher, I'm just guessing. Most of my programs are written to cover the rural areas of California, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico. Probably 90% of my federal programming is for the natural resource/public land/fire management agencies. Those agencies use VHF and sometimes UHF for links only. Most of the federal UHF frequencies I've included in my programs are used for uplink/downlink purposes. I like to know the link frequencies as they can greatly enhance listening.

The UHF frequencies seem to be used more in urban areas and in the east. I've rarely traveled to the east and stay away from urban areas as much as possible. When I do visit I find myself so busy listening to nearby federal land management agencies and fire departments that I don't listen to agencies such as the DEA and others who use UHF in metro areas. As a result I don't enter their frequencies in my programs. If I lived in an urban area I would use additional scanners for federal UHF monitoring and devote some time to doing so on a regular basis.

Some of the urban programs I've written are close to filling up the memory capacity of my PSR-600/500 radios.
What programs have written are they freeware or shareware and i do agree vhf would be a better chance to listen federal communications

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I think by 'programs' he meant codeplugs in scanner-speak. Basically, what's loaded into his scanner to listen to. I wasn't sure at first, but the last line indicated that.

SCPD

QRT
What programs have written are they freeware or shareware and i do agree vhf would be a better chance to listen federal communications

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

I don't know what you are saying. Is there a question in there without a question mark? Are you asking if the programs I have written are freeware or shareware? The only software I use is from Starrsoft. I've used GRE scanners only in the past 8 years.

I hope that addresses your message. If not try me again!

Status
Not open for further replies.