NOAA radiofax questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WU8Y

Can I do it?

Yes, of course.

How does it work?

WEFAX is a modulation of a (typically) USB signal, centered around 1900 kHz audio frequency. Pure white is one offset from +1900, pure black the other offset. You tune your SSB receiver to 1.9 MHz below the listed frequency, set the mode to USB, and set fldigi to WEFAX mode, it will decode and save the pictures for you.

I'm in central cali. I'm I close enough?

I'm near Detroit, and I copy the New Orleans and Boston transmissions regularly and well.

Can I use the iss app?

I have no idea what an "iss app" is.

Delivers1234

The iss app is the international space station app that gets radio signals via audio to send a picture or receive one. Would this work. I don't think I have an ssb receiver. Is fldigi on a of or on a radio?

WU8Y

OK, no, the ISS uses slow-scan TV modes to send their photos. That's a different mode altogether.

The closest WEFAX transmitter to you would be Pt. Reyes, north of San Francisco. Their carrier frequencies are 4344.1, 8680.1, 12784.1, 17149.3, and 22525.1 kHz. The best frequency for you would probably be 4344.1 kHz, but it's only active from 01:40 to 16:08 UTC. WEFAX broadcasts from Pt. Reyes begin at 01:40, 06:55, 11:20, 14:00, 18:40, and 23:20 UTC.

fldigi is a digital mode program for the computer, it's available for Windows and Linux, I'm not sure about Macs. You feed the received audio from the radio, into the computer's line in or microphone, and fldigi does the conversion from audio to pictures.

Even a small shortwave receiver can be used for WEFAX reception, as long as it has single sideband option.

Delivers1234

Thank you. Could you show me an example of a shortwave receiver with ssb? I went online to ebay and found lots but I want to know if they work.

Delivers1234

Would this work?

Brand:Yaesu
Manufacturer's Part Number:FT-891
Part Type:DXE Equipment Reservations
Product Line:Yaesu FT-891 HF/50MHz Transceiver Reservations
DXE Part Number:RSV-FT-891

Quantity: Sold individually.
Get in line now with a Yaesu FT-891 HF/50MHz Transceiver Reservation!*** DX Engineering is pleased to announce our reservation program for the exciting new Yaesu FT-891! These HF/50MHz all-mode transceivers sport the absolute latest Yaesu technology. See the Yaesu Pre-Release Information by clicking our "Documentation" tab for their brochure. Check it out!

Announced features for Yaesu's very compact FT-891 include:

* 160 to 6 Meters
* 100 Watts transmit SSB, CW and FM modes, 25 Watts AM mode
* TCXO
* 3 kHz/15 kHz Selectable Roofing Filter included
* General coverage RX 30 kHz to 56 MHz
* 32 bit IF DSP and Digital Noise Reduction
* DSP Auto Notch
* Detachable Front Panel
* Quick Spectrum Scope
* Backlit LCD screen
* Easy Operation with intuitive menus
* Case size: Width - 6.1 in., Height - 2.0 in., Depth - 8.6 in. (not including knobs and other protrusions)

Chronic

I would suggest googling up a wefax image and look at what your going to receive , they are black and white and not easy for a layman to read , you might spend a bunch of money only to be disappointed on what the end result is

Delivers1234

Ive looked at them. I m looking at a "rig" my next buy and would like to be able to do this later on if possible. im just planning. i was looking at the ft-891, but not sure if it is low enough to receive that. it looks to have ssb though.

n2nov

1 - FLdigi is available for Windows, Linux and Mac (see W1HKJ Software)
2 - When it talks about 160 to 6 meters, it is talking about the bands. Most modern amateur HF rigs also have a general receive coverage that include at least the MW band (540-1700 khz), but may also include LW (150-500 khz). Proper antennas are key at these low frequencies.
3 - Studying propagation effects for each band at varying times of day, at varying times of the year and at varying parts of the sunspot cycle will yield varying results.

Status
Not open for further replies.