RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Federal Monitoring Forum

Federal Monitoring Forum - The place to discuss monitoring federal government communications and related topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2017, 2:24 PM

Default BLM Rangers - Panoche Hills

Hello all,

I'm going to be in the Panoche Hills BLM area this coming weekend.

I go there roughly every six months. Sometimes you see rangers, other times you don't see another human the whole day.

I've brought my scanner, but of course only of the days when there were no rangers to be seen.

I'm loading up the BLM frequencies in the database. I was curious if anyone had confirmed frequencies for the rangers in that area.

This is in Fresno County.. closest town is "Mercey Springs".

Thanks!

Charlie
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2017, 6:27 PM

I've been there numerous times and it has been hit and miss with seeing rangers.

Bureau of Land Management Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Old 04-01-2017, 9:45 PM

Panoche Hills is managed by the Hollister BLM office.
I've spent quite a bit of time down there, good place to camp if you can get away from the shooting areas.

Admin Net: 169.72500
Fire Ne: 169.77500
Scene of Action: 168.30000
Statewide Law Net 166.75000 Analog and P25.

There is a ranger that patrols the area, I've talked to him a few times. He covers a pretty wide area, so it's not very common to see him. On the other hand, with the popularity of the area with target shooters, it's becoming more and more common to see him. The past few years he's been driving a Dodge 3/4 ton pickup.
Old 04-01-2017, 9:50 PM

Also, I've seen Fish and Wildlife there as well. Probably could be heard on 151.415.
Old 04-27-2017, 6:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
Panoche Hills is managed by the Hollister BLM office.
I've spent quite a bit of time down there, good place to camp if you can get away from the shooting areas.

Admin Net: 169.72500
Fire Ne: 169.77500
Scene of Action: 168.30000
Statewide Law Net 166.75000 Analog and P25.

There is a ranger that patrols the area, I've talked to him a few times. He covers a pretty wide area, so it's not very common to see him. On the other hand, with the popularity of the area with target shooters, it's becoming more and more common to see him. The past few years he's been driving a Dodge 3/4 ton pickup.
I have been monitoring these frequencies for the last several weeks with not even a peep on the scanner.
I am in the Central Valley and should be hearing something. Even something weak to break the squelch, but nothing. Are these frequencies confirmed or does BLM just partner with local LE for dispatch and comms?
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2017, 8:28 PM

Those frequencies came from this website. That doesn't always mean they are correct. Since it's usually difficult to get any actual frequency assignments for the Feds, as they are under NTIA, not FCC, it's not possible to pull up their licenses and confirm.

I do know they are VHF. All their vehicles have VHF half wave mobile antennas.
I also know the ranger only passes through Panoche Hills occasionally. I've never seen them do a lot of patrols down there.

The ranger I did meet covered a really big area. He's based out of their office in Hollister, and I've seen him way up north and over in the Sierras.

probably the best you could do is start searching the 168 - 174MHz range and see what you find.