Federal mystery Albany, NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

I thought of that, but when I search on Tarsen, I get variations on some scientist's name.

Maybe while I'm on vacation this week I'll check the ports of Albany and Rennselaer.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure it's on a ship, at least not at the Ports in Albany or Rennselaer. I just tried listening from north of Albany a little bit and it's near full quieting on a portable scanner inside. If it is a ship, closer to Troy or Waterford is more likely as I don't think river level at Albany would be heard at this location. Assuming it is a ship and not a fixed site.

It's also possible the CWID is wrong. Assuming that MV indicates it's a ship, the rest could be a misspelling of the actual name, or the ship could have been renamed at some point.

Last edited:

ecps92

Tried that as well [Google] and a MMSI/IMO Search without luck
I thought of that, but when I search on Tarsen, I get variations on some scientist's name.

Maybe while I'm on vacation this week I'll check the ports of Albany and Rennselaer.

ecps92

As to the Morse ID - my notes only had the Morse [I've never tried to decode it]
and it's been out there for years now.

I only suggested a Vessel due to the MV and we never know what might appear from foreign countries in our federal bands. I've never searched TAFL for a Canadian License +/- the reported frequency. [thinking now] hmmmm

I'm not sure it's on a ship, at least not at the Ports in Albany or Rennselaer. I just tried listening from north of Albany a little bit and it's near full quieting on a portable scanner inside. If it is a ship, closer to Troy or Waterford is more likely as I don't think river level at Albany would be heard at this location. Assuming it is a ship and not a fixed site.

It's also possible the CWID is wrong. Assuming that MV indicates it's a ship, the rest could be a misspelling of the actual name, or the ship could have been renamed at some point.

D

DaveNF2G

There is no space in the Morse transmission, either. MV_something is a guess, but is not compelled as a conclusion by what they are sending.

D

DaveNF2G

Checking my notes, I found that, prior to the MVTARSEN transmissions, Morse code /RPT CV was being transmitted on both this frequency and 408.000 MHz.

Not hearing anything on 408 atm.

SkyPager

163.5375 is assigned to the Watervliet Arsenal as a paging channel. My guess is that the dit in "W" is being cut off and the Morse is actually "WVTARSEN"

ecps92

Ahhh... or WATARSEN :D

maybe someone more versed in Morse that is local could take a listen

163.5375 is assigned to the Watervliet Arsenal as a paging channel. My guess is that the dit in "W" is being cut off and the Morse is actually "WVTARSEN"

Last edited:

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Well then, when you return from the North, drive by on you way back to 617/781/978
Hello,

I have already returned via I-89. I would think someone more local could check it out. One method is take the antenna off the scanner and see if the signal is still strong near the location.

73 Eric

D

DaveNF2G

Ahhh... or WATARSEN :D

maybe someone more versed in Morse that is local could take a listen

You mean someone other than an Extra class ham who has recorded and replayed the ID numerous times?

D

DaveNF2G

Quite true. I suppose I should have appended a smiley to my comment as well.

Don't get me started on the things other hams don't know (and should). :)

D

DaveNF2G

It is possible that the first DIT in the transmission is not picked up by the scanner, even parked on the channel. WVTARSEN makes perfect sense and that is the only difference from MVTARSEN.

Status
Not open for further replies.