Curiosity Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

I don't post much in this forum , but had a couple of questions----just for curiosity sake.

1. Are there many (any) Federal agencies using P25 Phase 2 systems?
2. Are there any Federal agencies still using Analog VHF, or UHF?

I have plenty of scanners that can cover anything I would ever want to monitor. So my questions are not about models. Just curious about systems and frequencies , Thanks Mike

nedhc47

Premium Subscriber
National park service at Assateague Island National Seashore in Berlin, MD still uses vhf p25 phase 1. The USCG in Ocean City MD uses mostly vhf unencrypted here also. CG111

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
I don't post much in this forum , but had a couple of questions----just for curiosity sake.

I have plenty of scanners that can cover anything I would ever want to monitor. So my questions are not about models. Just curious about systems and frequencies , Thanks Mike

Some time ago, I saw some brief testing of Phase 2 on a 380 Mhz system in the MD/DC/VA area -- probably JNCR.

Haley

Thanks for the replies so far guys! Kind of what I was thinking, probably quite a few different types out there. I suppose it has (somewhat) to do with budgets, and agencies? Mike

ecps92

Phase II would be for a TRS, I would not be surprised if some of the TRS Systems are Phase II

Yes . there are Analog users, altho they are slowly going to P25 and DMR

The only way to find out in your area is to spend a lot of time searching
138-144, 148-150.8, 162-174, 380-400 and 400-420

Activity may not be as frequent and regular searching will only tell.

An example this week for me was a formerly Simplex only "Analog" seems to now be a Repeater - for the local Army MARS

As an added not to the original question, some you may only find by on-scene and durign certain hours/events. Example is the Morning/Evening Gun Salute from a Naval Vessel here in Boston is still very VHF and very Analog

Haley

Phase II would be for a TRS, I would not be surprised if some of the TRS Systems are Phase II

Yes . there are Analog users, altho they are slowly going to P25 and DMR

The only way to find out in your area is to spend a lot of time searching
138-144, 148-150.8, 162-174, 380-400 and 400-420

Activity may not be as frequent and regular searching will only tell.

An example this week for me was a formerly Simplex only "Analog" seems to now be a Repeater - for the local Army MARS

As an added not to the original question, some you may only find by on-scene and durign certain hours/events. Example is the Morning/Evening Gun Salute from a Naval Vessel here in Boston is still very VHF and very Analog

I actually do search those ranges quite a bit. My location is just not a high traffic Federal area. IF I do hear any activity , it's usually U.S. Marshals, I.C.E., and /or D.E.A. But they are always on my local trunked system (which is P2 ----with lots of P1 radio's). They have assigned TG's., but they are not regular's on the system.

I actually did hear in Florida last year (what I thought) was T.S.A. on DMR. Unless it was a private security contractor. Mike

ecps92

What Area ? as your profile is blank

Remember, traffic comes and goes.
Budgets, Vacations, etc

TSA is P25, altho the USPS and VA do use DMR
what Frequency ?
I actually do search those ranges quite a bit. My location is just not a high traffic Federal area. IF I do hear any activity , it's usually U.S. Marshals, I.C.E., and /or D.E.A. But they are always on my local trunked system (which is P2 ----with lots of P1 radio's). They have assigned TG's., but they are not regular's on the system.

I actually did hear in Florida last year (what I thought) was T.S.A. on DMR. Unless it was a private security contractor. Mike

Haley

What Area ? as your profile is blank

Remember, traffic comes and goes.
Budgets, Vacations, etc

TSA is P25, altho the USPS and VA do use DMR
what Frequency ?

I live in the middle of Iowa. When I do hear the above mentioned (ATF a couple of time also), they are usually in with the Polk County Sheriff"s Dept. TG's. It is pretty rare though. On the other hand I am in the land of RACOM , I hear tons of TG's that are not local.

Last year my wife and I flew into Ft. Meyer's Florida. I assumed what I heard on DMR were TSA (because the airport did have agent's) , but like I said maybe contractors?? They were security of some sort for sure. Mike

ecps92

Near Des Moines ?? Can you be more specific, the state is big :D
Had a friend who lived in that area for awhile, he found plenty just searching

ICE has a pretty extensive network - all depends on where you are.

I live in the middle of Iowa. When I do hear the above mentioned (ATF a couple of time also), they are usually in with the Polk County Sheriff"s Dept. TG's. It is pretty rare though. On the other hand I am in the land of RACOM , I hear tons of TG's that are not local.

Last year my wife and I flew into Ft. Meyer's Florida. I assumed what I heard on DMR were TSA (because the airport did have agent's) , but like I said maybe contractors?? They were security of some sort for sure. Mike

Haley

Near Des Moines ?? Can you be more specific, the state is big :D
Had a friend who lived in that area for awhile, he found plenty just searching

ICE has a pretty extensive network - all depends on where you are.

About 40 miles NNE of Des Moines. Actually have 3 decent size systems I monitor. RACOM mostly EDACS ,Provoice although not much anymore ,most of LE have moved to the P25 systems (700/800mhz). Also the Iowa Statewide System (ISICS), P1 and P2 radios in use, and the Central Iowa Regional Public Safety Communications System (CIRPSCS) also P1 and P2 radios in use. Various surrounding counties use anything from analog VHF/UHF to single P25 VHF and P25 VHF systems. Partial encryption is used on some of them. A diverse area for listening as far as types go . And of course the multi-state power company is DMR tier 3 , as are the state prisons. And of course the curse word phrase is used often also, "call me on my c-phone"

ICE and U.S.Marshals are in my area quite a bit , our new jail is a pickup center for holds. Mike

ecps92

Thanks, much easier to provide a better formulated Response, knowing a location

Since the Topic was Federal, I will keep it there, others local might have more Non Federal input

Federal Courts - you will find the Court Security Officers [CSO] generally in the 170.7000 - 170.8500 Range

You should be able to hear ICE in your area, they maintain a Wide-Area [Possibly it is Vote Scan] Network [approx 12+ Repeaters] Your nearest is might be Waterloo
they all should be using a NAC of $791

Being near Des Moines, how about FPS in the 400 Band and when Winter leaves [might be winter traffic] see what the ACoE [Army Corp of Engineers] is using in VHF

All notes for Des Moines Area
Add to this Civil Air Patrol in VHF [148.125 or 148.150]
BATFE - VHF
Air National Guard - VHF
TSA - VHF [if near the Airport]
USPS Inspectors - UHF [generally ENC]
USPS Sorting Facilities - UHF
and then also the VA Hospital VHF and UHF
About 40 miles NNE of Des Moines. Actually have 3 decent size systems I monitor. RACOM mostly EDACS ,Provoice although not much anymore ,most of LE have moved to the P25 systems (700/800mhz). Also the Iowa Statewide System (ISICS), P1 and P2 radios in use, and the Central Iowa Regional Public Safety Communications System (CIRPSCS) also P1 and P2 radios in use. Various surrounding counties use anything from analog VHF/UHF to single P25 VHF and P25 VHF systems. Partial encryption is used on some of them. A diverse area for listening as far as types go . And of course the multi-state power company is DMR tier 3 , as are the state prisons. And of course the curse word phrase is used often also, "call me on my c-phone"

ICE and U.S.Marshals are in my area quite a bit , our new jail is a pickup center for holds. Mike

Last edited:

Haley

Thanks, much easier to provide a better formulated Response, knowing a location

Since the Topic was Federal, I will keep it there, others local might have more Non Federal input

Federal Courts - you will find the Court Security Officers [CSO] generally in the 170.7000 - 170.8500 Range

You should be able to hear ICE in your area, they maintain a Wide-Area [Possibly it is Vote Scan] Network [approx 12+ Repeaters] Your nearest is might be Waterloo
they all should be using a NAC of $791

Being near Des Moines, how about FPS in the 400 Band and when Winter leaves [might be winter traffic] see what the ACoE [Army Corp of Engineers] is using in VHF

All notes for Des Moines Area
Add to this Civil Air Patrol in VHF [148.125 or 148.150]
BATFE - VHF
Air National Guard - VHF
TSA - VHF [if near the Airport]
USPS Inspectors - UHF [generally ENC]
USPS Sorting Facilities - UHF
and then also the VA Hospital VHF and UHF

Thanks for all the new search "ideas", really appreciated! I am actually getting tired of the local PD , been "expanding my horizons". Whenever I travel,I search for Federal, RR, and believe it or not NOAA as my prime targets. Locally, I always have the 162-174, and 400-420 ( and recently, 380-400) ranges programmed-----I am guilty of not searching them long enough (or having enough patience) , Thanks again, Mike

ecps92

Welcome to the Federal BUG
:D
Thanks for all the new search "ideas", really appreciated! I am actually getting tired of the local PD , been "expanding my horizons". Whenever I travel,I search for Federal, RR, and believe it or not NOAA as my prime targets. Locally, I always have the 162-174, and 400-420 ( and recently, 380-400) ranges programmed-----I am guilty of not searching them long enough (or having enough patience) , Thanks again, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.