Intersting radio for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Motorola PX-300 'lunchbox' radio. Basically a Moto MX Series portable, in a lunchbox case with a huge battery.

The 'return if lost' decal on the handle was an address on L Street in DC, with a phone number belonging to US Gov.

What was interesting was the factory frequency plate was still in-tact!

Looks Secret Service to me...

Enjoy.

RFI-EMI-GUY

OK, I'll bite... what would you "erase" from a 40+ year old analog radio?
Those synthesized radios have an EPROM , it could be removed as it is a screw in module. Otherwise it is a write once, read many memory.

I always liked these radios. I wonder if anything ever replaced it in the same form factor.

Ohh, and those came with SECURENET DES encryption, so it is pretty much a digital radio in my opinion!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Those synthesized radios have an EPROM , it could be removed as it is a screw in module. Otherwise it is a write once, read many memory.

I always liked these radios. I wonder if anything ever replaced it in the same form factor.

Ohh, and those came with SECURENET DES encryption, so it is pretty much a digital radio in my opinion!

And absolutely horrible audio in DES mode. I played with analog DES-XL briefly on a Saber-X (successor to this radio) and several Sabers/Systems Sabers and it hurt my ears. Cool to play with once or twice but go for an Astro-X if you want an encrypted lunchbox, those take an Astro Saber inside.

Also FWIW I believe these PX300’s are 162-174 split. Would take some effort to move them into a usable band and then they are wideband only anyway.

RFI-EMI-GUY

And absolutely horrible audio in DES mode. I played with analog DES-XL briefly on a Saber-X (successor to this radio) and several Sabers/Systems Sabers and it hurt my ears. Cool to play with once or twice but go for an Astro-X if you want an encrypted lunchbox, those take an Astro Saber inside.

Also FWIW I believe these PX300’s are 162-174 split. Would take some effort to move them into a usable band and then they are wideband only anyway.
Can you provide a link to any Saber X documentation? I have searched to no avail.

By the way, I recently resurrected a bunch of Systems Saber radios, put them through the proper modulation compensation (deviation balance) and deviation level adjustments and DES sounds very good. I think better than IMBE in tonal response and virtually no latency. There is some quantization noise but that is the extent of it. I have not tried turning on the XL range extension yet. I am aware it robs some speech bits.

If curious, you should try the DES SECURENET mode and compare to P25 that we are all so used to. I think it is less awful than we remember. IMBE makes my ears bleed.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Can you provide a link to any Saber X documentation? I have searched to no avail.

By the way, I recently resurrected a bunch of Systems Saber radios, put them through the proper modulation compensation (deviation balance) and deviation level adjustments and DES sounds very good. I think better than IMBE in tonal response and virtually no latency. There is some quantization noise but that is the extent of it. I have not tried turning on the XL range extension yet. I am aware it robs some speech bits.

If curious, you should try the DES SECURENET mode and compare to P25 that we are all so used to. I think it is less awful than we remember. IMBE makes my ears bleed.

Never seen any online documentation for the Saber-X. It's just a black lunchbox with a Systems Saber in it.

When I did my DES-XL testing it was with the Saber-X, Systems Sabers, XTS5000's, and XTL5000's. All of them sounded awful IMO. Personally I think DES-OFB and AES-256 on P25 sound fantastic in comparison. I use DES-OFB on a trunked radio system and also conventional almost every day and I can't tell the different between clear and encrypted voice.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Never seen any online documentation for the Saber-X. It's just a black lunchbox with a Systems Saber in it.

When I did my DES-XL testing it was with the Saber-X, Systems Sabers, XTS5000's, and XTL5000's. All of them sounded awful IMO. Personally I think DES-OFB and AES-256 on P25 sound fantastic in comparison. I use DES-OFB on a trunked radio system and also conventional almost every day and I can't tell the different between clear and encrypted voice.

Are you comparing clear p25 with encrypted p25 or analog FM with encrypted P25. Of course NB analog FM is not even close to sounding like WB analog FM used to be.

In my opinion, this slow migration from WB FM to NB FM and then to IMBE has been like slow boiling a frog from warm to full boil. You get used to the pain!

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I’m comparing encrypted P25 to encrypted analog (DES-XL). Now to be fair, I never ran straight DES.

Just my opinion, but I do think Encrypted P25 sounds great compared to the old Stuff. That and you can’t legally use straight DES anymore except on Low Band (not that anyone does) or 800.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I’m comparing encrypted P25 to encrypted analog (DES-XL). Now to be fair, I never ran straight DES.

Just my opinion, but I do think Encrypted P25 sounds great compared to the old Stuff. That and you can’t legally use straight DES anymore except on Low Band (not that anyone does) or 800.

Not in the US anyway.

prcguy

Newer MX EPROMs could be written over and over. Good luck finding a suitcase programmer these days.
prcguy

RFI-EMI-GUY

Newer MX EPROMs could be written over and over. Good luck finding a suitcase programmer these days.
prcguy
I loved those programmers. My joke was to type in "QUALITY" on the command line. Then ENTER, It would reply "QUALITY NOT FOUND".

evfd1625

There are 2 Motorola R1801s on eBay right now, one powers on, one does not. *

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.