Coast Guard Broadcast Delaware BaY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymatt1978

Anyone else listening to the broadcasts on 157.1000? The AUDIO breaks up badly, it's NOT a signal problem. Happens on all my radio was curious of anyone else was hearing the same thing?

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else listening to the broadcasts on 157.1000? The AUDIO breaks up badly, it's NOT a signal problem. Happens on all my radio was curious of anyone else was hearing the same thing?

Does the same thing happen on 156.8 when they announce the upcoming 157.1 broadcast? As one of the Sector 21 sites is Cape May and you say you are in Cape May, I would tend to agree that it is likely not the signal unless your radio cannot tolerate very strong signal (which is a very rare event if ever).

Last edited:

hill

Premium Subscriber
I am down the road in Sector Maryland NCR, but if their signal is that bad is doesn't hurt to contact about it. The only time I can receive them is during VHF band openings. The watchstanders in the command center really have no idea about the quality of the signal and it's great to get reports from people out in the field. I have included two links one to the Sector's page and another to the Sector's Rescue 21 information. The homepage has a 24 hour number on it. If the signal is as bad as you say they may already had some feedback on it. Also I don't think the Rescue 21 has traditional type mics, so don't think it would a loose mic cord.

USCG Fifth District Sector Delaware Bay

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/images/marcomms/cgcomms/Rescue21/SecDelBay.jpg

Going forward I think sometimes due to receiving multiple sites at the same time. Try changing your antenna or moving the radio, if a handheld and see if that helps.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Yeah that was the best analogy I could think of off the top of my head - will monitor them on the Icom R8500 next time to see if the signal changes.

Terry
Villas NJ

ecps92

Sometimes, I've noticed they are selecting [Sector Boston] only One of the sites vs multi-select and the audio and signal as so low, it is almost useless. Other operators go Multi-Select and actually speak into the microphone :cool:
I am down the road in Sector Maryland NCR, but if their signal is that bad is doesn't hurt to contact about it. The only time I can receive them is during VHF band openings. The watchstanders in the command center really have no idea about the quality of the signal and it's great to get reports from people out in the field. I have included two links one to the Sector's page and another to the Sector's Rescue 21 information. The homepage has a 24 hour number on it. If the signal is as bad as you say they may already had some feedback on it. Also I don't think the Rescue 21 has traditional type mics, so don't think it would a loose mic cord.

USCG Fifth District Sector Delaware Bay

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/images/marcomms/cgcomms/Rescue21/SecDelBay.jpg

Going forward I think sometimes due to receiving multiple sites at the same time. Try changing your antenna or moving the radio, if a handheld and see if that helps.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber

Call the Coast Guard sector and let them know. I have called sector Mobile, AL twice. Once because their transmitter would time out after 3 minutes during the 'notices to mariners', and because their transmissions would cut in and out when they were trying to communicate on channel 16 and 22A.

They were very receptive both times I called. They fixed the time out timer later that week. The second time I called in about their transmissions, they did call a cutter on 22A to verify their transmissions were cutting in and out while I was on the phone. That issue was also fixed a few days later.

I called the main number and asked for radio communications. The person asked why I needed to talk to them and after I explained why, he transferred me immediately.

A week or so later, they called me back to verify the issues I reported were corrected.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Reviewing there is a video on Sector Delaware Bay's Facebook page that shot inside the Command Center.

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
Years ago there used to be a repeater on top of the Del Mem bridge that repeated Ch 16 VHF. I think the output was 171.34. I have been in Florida for 25 years or so for all I know it could be gone. I could hear all kinds of traffic on it with a couple hundred mile radius.

Status
Not open for further replies.