Nifog utac

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Hello all ~ I noticed that Ucall 40 and 41 channels appear to be repeater frequencies. Does that mean they link nationwide? As in, somebody from Vermont would be able to talk to someone in New Mexico? Does anyone know exactly how these frequencies work or how/why/when they are used? Is the protocol for usage only for some kind of major federal disaster? Also, are there RID/UID's attached to the units?

Thanks for any and all input.

nd5y

There is no nationwide link.
How the frequencies are used depends on your state and local area.

Some places have permanent fixed repeaters.
Some places use deployable temporary repeaters.
Some places use deployable temporary base stations operating simplex on the 453 MHz channels only.
Some places only have the frequencies programmed in their mobile and portable radios.
Some places patch the interoperability channels to trunked system talkgroups permanently or only when needed.

Here is an article about interoperability channel use from last week.
https://www.rrmediagroup.com/News/NewsDetails/NewsID/16564

Last edited:

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
There is no nationwide link.
How the frequencies are used depends on your state and local area.

Some places have permanent fixed repeaters.
Some places use deployable temporary repeaters.
Some places use deployable temporary base stations operating simplex on the 453 MHz channels only.
Some places only have the frequencies programmed in their mobile and portable radios.

Here is an article about interoperability channel use from last week.
https://www.rrmediagroup.com/News/NewsDetails/NewsID/16564

I see. I thought that would be the case. Thank you.

So the two repeaters in my area would only link around the state or are they even more localized to specific counties/cities etc.?

nd5y

So the two repeaters in my area would only link around the state or are they even more localized to specific counties/cities etc.?
Most likely they are not linked to anything but I don't know where you are or what your local planning and resources are.

ecps92

Depends on where you are and what your State has implemented.

Examples:
Some states have these Repeaters on Stand-by and enabled them on a case-by-case request when needed, ie: Coordinated so they don't interfere with other possible uses.

Also some states have implemented Tri-Stacks
This is a cross banding capability to allow the V-U-8 cross-talk for an event.

Doubtful they are linked outside of the Site the Repeater is at, unless there is a need to patch them into a State/Regional TRS

Actual capabilities are controlled by a SWIC and/or Agency who can provide the LE/CJ/PS users with the information of where, who and how to enable these.

I see. I thought that would be the case. Thank you.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
My county has a repeater on U Call. I just tried calling Hawaii, the only reply I received was "shut up Carl"

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I suspect most of the repeater pairs in the NIFOG actually get very little use. In the event that a large entity (a state, perhaps) would set up a dedicated network for interoperability, then it might be used. In our mobile command post, we have a repeater but it's programmed for use with our on-board handheld radios. With a computer and about 30 minutes, it could be reprogrammed, however. (I say that with a false sense of confidence because it hasn't be reprogrammed in probably 10 years and I'm not sure anyone can remember how to do it.)

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I suspect most of the repeater pairs in the NIFOG actually get very little use. In the event that a large entity (a state, perhaps) would set up a dedicated network for interoperability, then it might be used. In our mobile command post, we have a repeater but it's programmed for use with our on-board handheld radios. With a computer and about 30 minutes, it could be reprogrammed, however. (I say that with a false sense of confidence because it hasn't be reprogrammed in probably 10 years and I'm not sure anyone can remember how to do it.)

I'm sure they don't. That's why the other part of my post was inquiring about usage and protocol. I'll have to paw through that NIFOG DHS info and spend a little more time with it.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
In my experience, most of these federal "interop" frequencies are primarily intended to be used in conjunction with radio caches (deployable repeaters and quantities of portables) that are transported to scenes of large-scale incidents when necessary.

That said, some local or regional jurisdictions may have their own "interop" channels for day-to-day use. This arrangement is probably most common for trunked radio systems since little additional infrastructure is required to implement.

ecps92

I've seen them used for Joint Local/Fed Surv Ops - so well worth keeping in the Radios
In my experience, most of these federal "interop" frequencies are primarily intended to be used in conjunction with radio caches (deployable repeaters and quantities of portables) that are transported to scenes of large-scale incidents when necessary.

That said, some local or regional jurisdictions may have their own "interop" channels for day-to-day use. This arrangement is probably most common for trunked radio systems since little additional infrastructure is required to implement.

KC2zZe

Misuse is rather common here too, Chris; on the western banks of the mid-Hudson River valley in New York. When one tries to get an understanding of why those, of all the channels available, get utilized, "nobody's using them," is the reply one gets back. When one tries to explain that interop channels shouldn't be used for such purposes (anyone from EMS, fire, or emergency management can eavesdrop on your conversations), the point doesn't get across. Just because nobody's "using" them doesn't mean nobody's listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.