700 DTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Upon revisiting and loading updated NIFOG frequencies I was wondering about the 700 DTS system.

I couldn't quite understand the description for use/scanning. Will the frequencies be picked up if/when in use as a normal control type channel or do you have to find/know what the sys ID would be and then program it in a trunk config in order to hear anything? Do they already have sys ID's "in waiting" or are they somehow assigned/"made up" on the spot?

Thanks for any info.

ecps92

the 700 mhz freqs listed in the NIFOG are not Trunked. So No Sys ID
they are generally Digital [P25] yet have seen/found some analog, and are programmed as Conventional

Upon revisiting and loading updated NIFOG frequencies I was wondering about the 700 DTS system.

I couldn't quite understand the description for use/scanning. Will the frequencies be picked up if/when in use as a normal control type channel or do you have to find/know what the sys ID would be and then program it in a trunk config in order to hear anything? Do they already have sys ID's "in waiting" or are they somehow assigned/"made up" on the spot?

Thanks for any info.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
the 700 mhz freqs listed in the NIFOG are not Trunked. So No Sys ID
they are generally Digital [P25] yet have seen/found some analog, and are programmed as Conventional

They are listed as a "Deployable Trunked System" hence DTS. And the description says:

"These channels have been allocated to be used for a field deployed trunked radio system. As listed, the radio/scanner will not track these channels in a normal (trunked) manner and must be scanned conventionally as system ID's and talkgroups will vary on ownership. Channels 5 and 6 are recommended for control channels."

That's why I'm wondering how they would be programmed into the scanner.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber

I just have them programmed as conventional P25. If you do run across a deployed trunked system on those frequencies, and it's P25, you'll hear it. You can then try and determine how the trunked system is set up, once you know it's on the air.

Trying to set up programming for a trunked system without it being on the air is going to be very tough...

- Chris

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Chris, I thought probably.

So you just put in the frequencies as you would any other and then use the NAC search / "digital only" for audio?

Btw, I'm using the Freescan / 996xt setup as an example for said programming / entry.

ecps92

I'm looking at the NIFOG and can not find those words.
What Page ? or where is the link to that verbage.
:confused:

They are listed as a "Deployable Trunked System" hence DTS. And the description says:

"These channels have been allocated to be used for a field deployed trunked radio system. As listed, the radio/scanner will not track these channels in a normal (trunked) manner and must be scanned conventionally as system ID's and talkgroups will vary on ownership. Channels 5 and 6 are recommended for control channels."

ecps92

Last edited:

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
NPSTC was doing work on developing some standards related to the deployable trunked freqs in 700. I know the control channel recommmendations were based on international border limitations. I can’t recall if they ever settled on SYSID and talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.